Rust treatment -GX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

THeGeNTLeMaN

WooD GRaiN WaRRioR
Threads
Website
www.followmybuild.com
Hey guy, I Just recently purchased an 05 GX 470 ... The vehicles is great I love it! ..
"THe GeNTLeMaN" BuiLD THReaD
I cant say a bad thing about it really EXCEPT.....
-the undercarriage has a general rust infection from front to back
-every seam weld you see on the frame and structure is orange
-some brackets like the front bumper mounts and rear hitch area look like they are delaminating where the paint is coming of in layers
-most bolt threads that are exposed through a nut are so gawd up they barely can be taken off or break off
-I upgraded my suspension front and rear and in doing that process i now need to replace all of my sway bar links ... The top stud on the rear shocks had to be broken cut and broken off the remove then .. the front kdss sensors on top for the shocks had to broken and cut off the remove the front shocks

You get the idea .... Its something that i loose sleep over bc IDK how I missed this when i bought the vehicle ... Maybe it was helping my wife juggle 3 kids in the humid 100deg louisiana heat that distracted me that day ... I think the vehicle lived in FL for awhile

WHAT DO I DO? ... just wire brush all the rust and treat with under coat?
HAS ANYONE ELSE had to deal with this? WHAT DID YOU DO?

THIS IS REALLY THE WORST OF IT AND IV CLEANING AND SPRAYED IT ALREADY

GX470-Rust.jpg
GX470-Rust2.jpg

THANK YOU!
~THeGeNTLeMaN~

Last edited:
If it were mine, I would sand or glass blast the rust away, and then spray epoxy primer, and a durable paint over that to protect the primer.
Lotta work? Yep. But if you want it done right..........

POR15 is going to be your best friend!! They have a 3 step process that is super easy to do. The best in the automotive industry hands down!
1) use the cleaner. Removes oils, and any other contaminants.
2) use the metal prep. It removes the rust and etches the metal. You gotta keep it wet for 10 minutes. So I would buy at least 2 quarts for the underside.
3) use the rust preventative coating, and never worry about rust again. It can be applied with a brush and will look like powder coat once finished. Super glossy and no brush strokes! This is not UV resistant. If it's going to be in the sun then they make a topcoat that is UV resistant.

Here's a link
POR-15®

Either way..........you're going to need some sort of mechanical abrasion, that rust is thick.

I agree! Wire wheel first!

Thanks guys ... Like i said pctures you see is the worst of it
Iv already taken a wire wheel to that area and just sprayed a thick under coat over it
the rest ill do the POR-15 .... several other people have suggest the same thing ... Im gonna find a friend who has a lift i can barrow for a day so i can get under there and do a good job of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom