Rust review? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m looking at an ‘07 w/ about 165k on it, Currently listed at $21k. Its spent it’s life up in Milwaukee, so the winters haven’t been kind. Rust.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on these undercarriage photos. What do you think?
3D01E0BA-F47A-425C-BEE6-5EEF53FCFD31.jpeg
E9E1B853-AFF4-4F3F-87CC-28FFCDD9B8A3.jpeg
D277E3D0-E7BB-4C7C-A266-32C13D324661.jpeg

I’m looking at an ‘07 w/ about 165k on it, Currently listed at $21k. Its spent it’s life up in Milwaukee, so the winters haven’t been kind. Rust.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on these undercarriage photos. What do you think?View attachment 2936749View attachment 2936750View attachment 2936751
Can’t really see much of the actual frame but that looks bad. I would consider something like that to be little more than a farm vehicle, it likely has quite a bit of life left if it’s mechanically sound but would be a real pain to get cleaNed Up enough to be a daily driver.

Second picture- object at top looks like sunken ship rust. If other big parts look like that run. However it also looks like there’s either some sort of sludgy fluid film on it. That’s not bad that the owner is working to prevent further damage but hard to tell. Some of that looks like dirt and light surface rust. If you can’t get Better shots/perspective of what it looks like behind all the muck I’d pass for 21k. I’d probably pass for 21k no matter what

Thanks y’all. I’m feeling the same and just needed to hear it from someone else. If I were closer, I’d check it out personally but this rig is 7hrs away.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Run. you can throw parts at any other issue… you ain’t fixing that and every other thing you do to it will eventually will be wasted when the rust wins. Find a clean rig in the south or west and hop a plane and drive home. Better than one day of that nightmare.

Where I’m from, that’s pretty standard. But at $21k, not a chance in hell! That kind of money can get you a fairly well kept machine elsewhere. I’d offer him $4k and a sixer, tops. He’s not going to see much more than that from someone with any sort of clue, even with 165k on the clock. Non-Toyota people don’t typically buy Land Cruisers either, so large chance it’s not going to sell anytime soon.

But at $21k, not a chance in hell! That kind of money can get you a fairly well kept machine elsewhere. I’d offer him $4k and a sixer, tops.
👆🏽This

It's a parts car IMHO, only a blind fool would even pay that kind of money for a shipwreck of an undercarriage.

Those photos make it hard to tell the difference between surface rust and real damage. You can’t call it a parts car from just those photos but even with the best luck it’s going to work every time you touch something and as others say you can’t undo rust. Price depends on the rest of the condition but it’s not $21k.

Looking at the photos, I can guarantee you underneath the rear bumper cover and the step corner caps is rot waiting to show its ugly face. I’ve been there and continuously working through it. I paid $4k for one in this condition with excellent service history.

I can see from the dealer photos that the rocker panels are rusted out and showing, especially driver side front. Unless you know how to weld and have been there before then you need to pass.

It can be hard to find anyone who will even work on that - at least near me!

FWIW, that looks like the underneath of my 1973 fj40... and it was sitting in a field in AL for a long, long time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom