rust problems from first time buyer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I find a 1998 lc100 in nice price. But I am not sure the rust problem is just fine or not? I will use it for daily drive and travel.

45cfeb1859e44d115a1093d4648a0c2.png
2de9b3ada5078e841b49595c07547d7.png

That old and in that area, anything will have rust. Guess it's up to you on what you're willing to pay. Only advice I'd have is working on something that rusty will suck - broken bolts, etc. But, if your concern is structural integrity, I don't see anything overly concerning.

For context, I bought a 99 LC with 165k for 2500$ . frame looked rusty but upon closer inspection, no holes or structural issues. I used a rust removal wheen and por 15 and it looks pretty good now. Definitely a pita to work on though as bolt will snap. These rigs can be costly if you don't do your own wrench work. If not, id walk away.

look at the crossmember right behind the rear axle on the driver side where the crossmember meets the frame rail.

I live in Michigan and when I bought mine it was close to that rusty. Nothing but surface rust, no structural damage. The buy it factor in mine was mileage, ownership, maintenance, and price. I bought mine for $4500 with 200k from its original owner who maintained it at the dealer religiously. Had every receipt for the entire life. Being a 98 I assume it has the front locking diff. So that’s cool, but I would put those factors together and take everyone else’s consideration as well. That rust is manageable, but is it worth it to you is what it comes down to.

Good lord, I wouldn't even consider it.... I thought my fzj80 was rusty when I got it, but that driveshaft has more rust than my whole truck did.

Mine had less rust, and I had brake lines, fuel lines, fuel tank, and a/c lines all rust through. Plus, you know water leaks, rockers gone, etc. If you're real brave, its on you man. But I'd plan on replacing brake and fuel lines and tank if you want any peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom