Rust prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ncmartec.org
Okay gents. Just bought an 85 FJ60, looking to restore over time. First issue is protecting the underside from rust. My question is: which is better POR-15, Eastwood, Bullet, Chassis saver, etc. Any thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

They are prob all good. Generally, if Eastwood sells it, it's good.

I used an recommend Por-15. Used it all over the frame of my 40 way back in '99. Still good.

JEM

I had good luck using POR on a 79 International Scout II that I owned back in the day. It's really messy to work with but I was pleased with the final outcome.

All things considered. And there are a LOT of things to consider...
I think this the best solution for the frame.. Organic cold pressed purified sterilized linseed oil.
I have experimented with lots of other coatings and for me, on the frame, this is the winner.

http://www.solventfreepaint.com/vehicle-rust-proofing.htm

The boiled linseed oil you find at your local hdwr store has solvents in it and can attract mold. Avoid it. I know from experience. It is also toxic.

The organic stuff doesn't grow mold and it is non-toxic. It dries slow and requires about 5 days of drying between coats. I use about 4 - 5 coats. It goes on real thin and seeps and penetrates into all the nooks, crannys and pores, and penetrates into any remaining rust as well... Suffocating it. When it finally cures, after a few weeks, it is kind of tacky and will not look like nice shiny paint after driving on dirt roads.. But it can protect your metal from rusting... forever... if recoated every 5 years or so. Recoating only requires painting on another coat... no scraping/chipping needed ever again.

You can spray the organic BLO inside the boxed frame of the Land Cruiser using a schutz gun with a flexible extension wand too. It will penetrate through the unavoidable dirt and rust and protect the metal from future rusting. Conventional paints fail when sprayed over dirt and loose rust and usually make things even worse years down the line.

No coating is permanent, and you are going to have to deal with it again sooner or later. How much do you like chipping old paint? How much do you like using a grinder? (POR) With organic BLO, you just brush on another coat..even over existing light rust. Never have to chip, grind, sand down paint again... No harmful vapors, not toxic, and you can clean up everything, including your skin, with just soap and water...
Do your lungs, brain, sperm and your future offspring a favor and stay away from solvents.

And by-the-way, Isocyanates are bad, bad, bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom