running weird at idle all of a sudden with clicking noise (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could the fuel filter cause only bank 1 to be lean? I checked the intake bolts today and all were tight. I could not find any loose vacuum hoses.

I sprayed some carb and intake cleaner on all the vacuum lines while running to see if I could hear the idle change and couldn't gear any difference. The clicking is mostly gone since the throttle butterfly cleaning, but the code still comes right back after I clear it.

It is only p0171
You want to disconnect the battery before disconnecting MAF. Than connect battery, after connecting MAF first. MAF is sensitive device, and we do not want to take any chance of causing damage. But also disconnecting battery for 20 minutes, reset ECM. Than engine relearns the signals from a clean MAF.

Both banks lean, is most often associated with fuel delivery. i.e. fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel dampen device, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump resistor.

I'd go through FSM diagnostics tree on throttle body, checking motor and sensor. Also do a fuel pressure test.

You want to disconnect the battery before disconnecting MAF. Than connect battery, after connecting MAF first. MAF is sensitive device, and we do not want to take any chance of causing damage. But also disconnecting battery for 20 minutes, reset ECM. Than engine relearns the signals from a clean MAF.

Both banks lean, is most often associated with fuel delivery. i.e. fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel dampen device, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump resistor.

I'd go through FSM diagnostics tree on throttle body, checking motor and sensor. Also do a fuel pressure test.

Its still showing only bank 1 being lean. Which side of the motor is that?

Is bank 1 the passenger or driver side? As far as i know this is the original starter. I have records from purchase to around 120k miles and it doesn't show it was replaced, but definitely could have been since I didn't buy until 170k and I'm at 199k now.

Also, I did not disconnect the battery after cleaning the MAF, could that cause this?

EDIT- I have 2 codes p0171 and a pending P0174 so it's both sides lean
"EDIT- I have 2 codes p0171 and a pending P0174 so it's both sides lean"

That is both banks. P0171 is BK 1 (Your left as you sit in driver seat). P0174 is BK2 (Your right as you sit in driver seat. BK1 cylinders are number from front of engine to rear: 1, 3, 5 & 7. BK2 2, 4, 6 & 8.

This means your so lean at times, ECM can't keep up. So either sudden volume of air increases, or fuel starvation.

Throttle body controls air intake. 98-99 have had many reports in mud, of bad throttle bodies. :hmm:

Last edited:
"EDIT- I have 2 codes p0171 and a pending P0174 so it's both sides lean"

That is both banks. P0171 is BK 1 (Your left as you sit in driver seat). P0174 is BK2 (Your right as you sit in driver seat. BK1 cylinders are number from front of engine to rear: 1, 3, 5 & 7. BK2 2, 4, 6 & 8.

This means your so lean at times, ECM can't keep up. So either sudden volume of air increases, or fuel starvation.

Throttle body controls air intake. 98-99 have had may reports in mud, of bad throttle bodies. :hmm:

Sorry i was confused when i checked the code again it was on the code for bank 1

Sorry i was confused when i checked the code again it was on the code for bank 1
Well, at one point you edited and said P0171 & P0174. These codes will go away, if condition no current.
So are you now sure you never saw/had both DTC, either current or pending?

These code will, in many cases, go away on their own. So if you see P0171 only and every check (make sure you clear after check/recording, to see if comes back). Than you've issue on just BK1 (LH side of engine/driver side USA built)

Well, at one point you edited and said P0171 & P0174. These codes will go away, if condition no current.
So are you now sure you never saw/had both DTC, either current or pending?

These code will, in many cases, go away on their own. So if you see P0171 only and every check (make sure you clear after check/recording, to see if comes back). Than you've issue on just BK1 (LH side of engine/driver side USA built)

If it is just bank 1, could it be the PCV valve? I see the hose runs from just above the intake to the driver side of the head cover. If the valve wasn't sealed i imagine it could suck air from there

I'm now getting P0171, and all the following listed as pending : P0130, P0133, P0150, P0153.

All those seem to be O2 sensor related so maybe i found my issue? Where is the bank 1 O2 sensor located?

Last edited:
I pinched the return fuel line while running to see if the idle comes up per an old thread i found. The idle did come up slightly.

So Bk 1 & BK 2 lean codes. Blocking/pinching return fuel line, increasing RPM. Are indications of low fuel pressure and or flow.

Whereas PCV hoses(S) leaking, are vacuum leaks. Either or each are not specific to a Bank.

So Bk 1 & BK 2 lean codes. Blocking/pinching return fuel line, increasing RPM. Are indications of low fuel pressure and or flow.

Whereas PCV hoses(S) leaking, are vacuum leaks. Either or each are not specific to a Bank.

Ok so today the battery was all the way dead. I accidentally left the code reader plugged in and i guess it drained it all the way.

Once i restarted it after jumping the battery i get a rough idle and P0300 to P0308, except 0307. So all cylinders misfiring but cylinder 7.

Could this have be a false reading because of fuel flow issues not providing enough fuel to the cylinders , or could the misfire been happening before and it finally threw the codes? I hate to replace all the coil packs if that's not the issue

I also have an issue with my battery terminal connections. I have to adjust the positive cable to crank sometimes but thats been going on for a while. That's on the list to fix as well.

I'd get battery and it's terminals sorted out first. Than clear codes and how it runs and see what returns

I'd get battery and it's terminals sorted out first. Than clear codes and how it runs and see what returns
New terminals yesterday. Started fine same codes . CeL would flash then go off, and come back on flashing a few minutes later. Idling with a constant surge

Flashing CEL is not good. If more more of intermittent on then off, then actual flashing. That's different.

This could be so many things. From fuel restriction, bad throttle body, a loose ground wire to an overheated engine with blown head gasket. When fuel starvation from bad fuel pump in the 98-05. Usually engine will crank but not start, then start another time. Eventually just not start.

When you pinch return fuel line. Did it feel as if a hard line wrap inside of a soft? If so, check to make sure it doesn't feel as if inner line kicked or crushed.

I'd start by checking coolant level in radiator,. Then get out my FSM, and test fuel pressure & MAF. Then test throttle body. Looking close for signs of head gasket issue. Checking all vacuum lines as I move through engine. If i can't find anything, I'd do a compression test.

Flashing CEL is not good. If more more of intermittent on then off, then actual flashing. That's different.

This could be so many things. From fuel restriction, bad throttle body, a loose ground wire to an overheated engine with blown head gasket. When fuel starvation from bad fuel pump in the 98-05. Usually engine will crank but not start, then start another time. Eventually just not start.

When you pinch return fuel line. Did it feel as if a hard line wrap inside of a soft? If so, check to make sure it doesn't feel as if inner line kicked or crushed.

I'd start by checking coolant level in radiator,. Then get out my FSM, and test fuel pressure & MAF. Then test throttle body. Looking close for signs of head gasket issue. Checking all vacuum lines as I move through engine. If i can't find anything, I'd do a compression test.
CeL flashes intermittently. There has never been an overheat to my knowledge.

Do you happen to know thebtest procedure for the MAF and throttle body? I'd like to start there , then maybe try the fuel filter. I hope it's not a ground somewhere i hate chasing electrical issues more than anything

Ok so the battery was dead again today. I swapped the battery out of my Colorado and it cranked up and was surging again but no CEL. After idling about 15 surge was almost completely gone. Cleared the pending misfire codes and took it around the block and the CEL never came back. A weak battery wouldn't cause all this could it? I imagine the codes will come back after a drive cycle

Flashing CEL is caused by a misfire. Either one or multiple cylinders. Low fuel pressure, vacuum leak, coolant in cylinders (aka head gasket), etc. Coolant loss would also be a sign of a head gasket.
Personally I would be checking fuel pressure and/or a vacuum leak to start. If it was just one cylinder, look at the spark plugs and swap coils.

Flashing CEL is caused by a misfire. Either one or multiple cylinders. Low fuel pressure, vacuum leak, coolant in cylinders (aka head gasket), etc. Coolant loss would also be a sign of a head gasket.
Personally I would be checking fuel pressure and/or a vacuum leak to start. If it was just one cylinder, look at the spark plugs and swap coils.

Code came back, misfire on every cylinder

I see in previous posts you also had lean codes on both banks. I suspect a fuel pressure problem or vacuum leak. I know checking fuel pressures on theses can be a pain in the …, but that’s what I’d start with!
Also see how fast the pump is bleeding down after it shuts off.

I see in previous posts you also had lean codes on both banks. I suspect a fuel pressure problem or vacuum leak. I know checking fuel pressures on theses can be a pain in the …, but that’s what I’d start with!
Also see how fast the pump is bleeding down after it shuts off.

I cant find a vacuum hose with a hole or unplugged. I srpayed carb cleaner around the intake and all the vacuum lines with no change. Im going to order a fuel filter and see of that helps.

Are there any vacuum lines that are hidden i could check?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom