Rumbling / vibration when accelerating (esp at high speed) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - a few threads on here that came close, but wanted to get feedback on my particular problem. 1993 FZJ80, 230k mi.

Started out with a vibration when depressing the accelerator @ freeway speeds - almost like driving over those "rumble strips" at the side of the hwy, or as if I'm in too high of a gear (though I'm not)....like driving a stick shift, when you really should downshift.

Now it's getting worse at lower speeds, 35 mph +, only when depressing the accelerator. Not when coasting, doesn't seem to be tied to any specific RPM, or gear.

Is it transmission related? Auto transmission is shifting fine. Also wondering if it could be drive-train / U-joint - and if there is any easy way to check.

Thanks in advance ya'll.

Try some searches for stripped drive flanges.
Thanks Kernal, just had a front axle rebuild about 1000 miles ago, at a reliable local shop here in L.A. Does that change your opinion?

In addition to ^, and to make sure there isn't a problem here, grab the drive shaft at each neck next to the u-joint and shift it up and down to see if there is any slop in the u-joint. And...since you just went to the shop, make sure the drive shaft bolts are snug too!

Hi, all - resolved this, it WAS the U-joint. No play when I checked it, but had it replaced and we're good to go.

Thanks for your feedback.

Which U-joint position, and was it an original Toyota part or aftermarket?
Did you replace it with OEM or aftermarket parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom