Rubbermaid Actionpacker (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

x10 on everything you said there. The newer style latches work better, but the one woman that works in our office still doesn't possess enough hand strength to open some of the brand-new cases. And I can't even begin to describe the paranoia of our sales staff when they're carrying Trimble demo gear around because we've had so many vehicle break-ins over the years when they're on the road. Opportunistic thieves always go after the bright yellow pelican case. :mad:
Have them trow a dark gray or car interior colored towel over them and stick it in a foot well.

I use Rubbermaid Palletotes for spare parts, tools, and sometimes food. Link. They're extremely light, strong, rigid, and stack well. I use one that holds 1.6 cu ft and weighs about 6 lbs with a lid. I pack them with between 30 to 50 pounds of stuff each. They cost about $50 with a lid. They're not environmentally sealed.

I have a Pelican 1620. Link. It's the frickin bomb for flying and travel. It's bullet proof and has a handle and wheels. It weighs about 21 pounds and holds about 2.5 cu ft. I don't like Pelicans for camping. I think it's the size. I prefer something boxier.

If I run out of Palletotes, I pack food in cardboard orange or apple boxes from the market. They come with good fitting tops and I line them with a trash bag.

I have several of the pallettotes, as well. they are quite tough. we have some that were stored outside next to rubbermaid and sterilite containers which both broke up being in the sunlight. the pallettotes were not even phased. the only two issues I have with them are 1) the lids do not latch/lock down. I have used straps to keep the lids on, but they are still not "sealed," 2) they are very large. this is not a problem in the garage (where I am now using them for storage needs) or in the bed of my tacoma, but in the back of the '40 they take up a lot of space. of course, like seth said, you can pack a bunch of stuff in them. If I am on a weekender, I use smaller boxes, and pack only necesities. but on longer trips, or trips with kids, they come in very handy!

I have several of the pallettotes, as well. they are quite tough. we have some that were stored outside next to rubbermaid and sterilite containers which both broke up being in the sunlight. the pallettotes were not even phased. the only two issues I have with them are 1) the lids do not latch/lock down. I have used straps to keep the lids on, but they are still not "sealed," 2) they are very large. this is not a problem in the garage (where I am now using them for storage needs) or in the bed of my tacoma, but in the back of the '40 they take up a lot of space. of course, like seth said, you can pack a bunch of stuff in them. If I am on a weekender, I use smaller boxes, and pack only necesities. but on longer trips, or trips with kids, they come in very handy!
You really have to pretend your going backpacking when you travel in an FJ40. :lol:

IMHO the big down side to large boxes is that they tend to get to heavy for one person to carry solo. Which is one of the reasons I like apple boxes, they hold just about what I can carry comfortably.
Another down side to a large box is that whatever you want is always on the bottom.

totally agree with you on the heavy, and what you need always seems to be at the bottom! two more reasons I like using 3 or 4 smaller boxes. it also helps me sort/organize better.

This weekend will be my first outing with the HD 20 gallon boxes I bought. They stack and strap very securely in the rear of the 80. The top one is my camping box and it will be left at camp during the weekend. The remaining one is filled with parts/tools/fluids/crap that was in my 2 smaller Action Packers. However the Action packers couldn't stack and strap properly without the bottom lid collapsing.
As previously mentioned the full box is heavy and I hope not to need anything out of the bottom ;)
The rear of the 80 gets crowded with an ARB fridge, boxes, toolbox, recovery gear bag, and all the rest of the stuff I need to keep warm and set up camp.

Great thread, looking for something to replace my Rubbermaid flimsy box for camping gear. I like the idea of maybe two smaller boxes vice one large one. Does get crowded in the back with things strapped down and the one box gets heavy...

Friend of mine had been looking for some stacking storage for family camp gear. Action Packers aren't the best for stacking or making efficient use of space.

He ended up at a local place call Material Flow that has quite a variety of nice quality storage bins, and other cool storage things I don't need. ;)

Plastic Products | Material Flow & Conveyor Systems Inc.

Prices look midrange- above Home Depot, below specialty/targetted storage. My friend said what he got was nice quality.

Did we mention Systainers before?

tanos.jpg

Last edited:
Lowes got these on 50% sale $16 and $28.will use the big one for work
SUV TUFFBIN
IMG_20111022_161140[1].jpg
IMG_20111022_124212[1].jpg
IMG_20111022_162110[1].jpg

Coleman makes a party stacker cooler that stacks and seals really well in the FJ.multiple colors are available blue green red. Available at sporting goods stores or from Coleman online www.Coleman.com

actionpacker= poo poo

I was at Lowes and they were full price. how did you get the 50% off deal?

Show off :flipoff2:

Thanks, I'll see if my Lowes can match it since I have a receipt to show them.

Brittain

A lot of nice options on this thread. Thanks for all the information.

I checked out most of the ones mentioned but ultimately went with a cheap alternative, and may change depending on how it works (or doesn't work) out.

The J. Terence Thompson Plastic 27 Gal. Snap Lid Tote Yellow/Black at Lowes for about $14.

• Capacity: 27 gal. / 750 lbs.
  • Dimensions: 29 x 20.5 x 15
  • Stackable
No experience yet, but will have to see how long it lasts and holds up to UV, etc.

892046000331lg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom