RTH - removing staked nuts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, who's got a good method for removing staked nuts. I'm tearing into my t-case, and I've got the rear output nut "un-staked" but can't make any progress with the nut on the back of the tranny input shaft. Any suggestions?

Will a socket and breakerbar to get it off without un-staking? What do you guys use to un-stake?

IMG_4828.jpg

Howdy! I use a very small cold chisel to open up the pockets. a screwdriver can also be used. If you force it with a socket and large breaker bar, it may damage the threads. Nuts are not re-usable usually.

It looks like there may be cracks in the case around the bearing. John

Impact

Unstake, and use Impact gun.

Ex

small punches...screwdrivers that you are goigng screw up... Some of those are near impossible to get loose. Can you drive a small punch down the "slot" area on the shaft (left and right) and then attempt to wiggle it out a little bit (the portion of the nut that's staked)..

I would not attempt to remove nut until you've got it unstaked.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

inkpot - I think those "cracks" are casting flash, but I'll take a closer look.

I think those "cracks" are casting flash, but I'll take a closer look.

I definitely would. Them s***s don't look pretty.

I just zip them off with an impact the crushed portion is outside of the threaded area.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Stake Nut SST

I took an old screwdriver and ground it sharp and the width of the stake nut slot. I drive it in the slot and pry the staked part loose.
Stake Nut SST.JPG

I just use a screwdriver and hammer to unstake it. For the transfer case pinion nut, I had to use an impact (at 130 PSI). I tried a socket and breaker bar, but gave up on that quickly and fired up the air compressor...

As mentioned, it's not necessary to unstake the nut if you have a half inch impact. Just back it off, put it back the same way.

Working from a tiny flathead screwdriver through bigger one, I got them un-staked enough to come free with hand tools. Just took a fair bit of time to do it carefully.

Oh, and the "cracks" in the photo are indeed just casting flash. :cheers:

I just did mine and went and bought a tiny cold chisel. I broke a screwdriver trying that method. The stake really has to be knocked out well. If not the nut won't budge.

Brute force. I just twisted the nuts off using a regular ratchet wrench and did not realize they were staked until after. If that doesn't work, use a chisel or screw driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom