RTH Needed RE: Carpet replacement! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered/received the replacement carpet from the site posted in the FAQ and have removed all the interior. It said in the instructions not to cut the new using the old as a template, buuuut, I can't imagine any other way. The old one removed if you look at it looks like a puzzle piece,compared to the new piece that is a square esentially especially where is tucks up into the firewall and above the tranny hump under the stereo. I am wondering if you can help me understand why this is. I am thinking they put that suggestion on there as a warning, but maybe it is not an absolute law. My only guess is that they have had people not line things up perfectly before and it has gone wrong? Here is the site its from

Correctly Molded Toyota Carpet--Replacment Toyota Carpet--800-780-2974

Instructions say:

"Do not cut the holes in your new carpet out the same size as the holes on your old carpet to begin with, only make the smallest slit possible. Do not use your old carpet as a template to cut holes. Start with the smallest slit possible, and only cut a hole in your carpet if you are satisfied that you have the floor pan indentions, etc lined up correctly between your new floor covering and the floor pan of your vehicle."

I need some advice help from someone who has done this hopefully?:confused:

I would call that 800-number on their website and ask them.

For after market carpet it is best to lay to carpet in the vechicle for triming and hole placement.

Start by placing the carpet in the truck with the firewall portion folded back just behind the center support legs of the dash. Use the old carpet for a measurement as far as how far back the slit is for the support legs and mark this location with a Sharpie or if it is one piece then fit it tight to the back of the cab. Center up the carpet and use an ice pick or something similar to locate the holes and other areas that need cut around. Start with the center hump and work your way out. When you have a couple of holes located and cut out put the bolts back in place to help keep the carpet in place as you work on the rest. Once you've reached the dash support legs just slice the carpet where needed instead of cutting out anything. It is far better to cut the least amount out/off as possible as I have seen a few that came up short of tucking under the trim panels and that does not look good. Leave it long where you can and cut your holes as small as possible. Have plenty of new razor blades handy as they will dull out quickly. Hope this helps.

also just cut a slit for the shifter, then trim it out once you know the carpet is positioned right over the hump, you may have to trim for the shifter a couple times.

also just cut a slit for the shifter, then trim it out once you know the carpet is positioned right over the hump, you may have to trim for the shifter a couple times.

Thanks for mentioning that as I was thinking with the shifters removed but did not state it that way.

Thanks everyone. I will post pics in a sec

Since this post is about carpeting, I am torn between getting carpet or vinyl for my 4runner. The old carpet was shot, most of it has been ripped out. I have been fixing all of the rust issues recently, and I am almost ready to order some new carpet.

I like the idea of vinyl, as it would be easier to clean and would not adsorb water. But how well does it block heat and sound compared to carpet?

Vinyl also has a jute backing on it and would hold moisture if submerged. On the other hand it should be as good as carpet for noise and heat protection.

Carpet is probably better for heat and sound, however as mentioned it'll hold water if it gets wet... On the other hand, if you get water under your vinyl that will hold it down there as well... So there's no real winner short of lining the truck with something like Rhino lining or Line-X etc...

I ended up ordering the vinyl floor kit. I am also spraying the entire floor with paintable undercoating before installing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom