Rth. I’m stranded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I’m an idiot. It reads 12mv. I still don’t understand why the lights aren’t working. The bulbs are good

I had a similar issue. Truck died after rounding a corner on the way home. No CEL when starting and identified blown fusible link. Turns out the wire for injector #5 had four spots of exposed copper and one of the spots was touching the valve cover. I covered the bare copper spots with liquid electrical tape and wrapped the spot touching the valve cover with good electrical tape. I don't remember if my headlights were affected.

So, I’m an idiot. It reads 12mv. I still don’t understand why the lights aren’t working. The bulbs are good
You're not an idiot. You made a mistake.
You have a bad ground connection in that circuit. Again, it should be a hard ground connected to the body which needs to be connected to the negative battery terminal.
The high beams are a switched ground through the stalk, but both high and low get the same +12 through the same 2 fuses. The low beams need a hard ground connection to work.

So. The local Toyota dealership dropped the ball and didn’t order the parts. I guess I’m gonna have it towed to Nashville where my sister lives.

The ground from the battery to body isthere for sure but it’s not the prettiest it’s the original cable and body ground.

like I say, truck was running great, 75mph up a slight hill. Turned the high beams off, she sputtered like I had water In the fuel. It Died and I coasted it to where it’s sitting. I can start it if I jumparound the fusible link. So I know the fusible link is the reason for it not running, but I don’t know what caused it to blow. And that worries me because it’s 6hts back home.

Do you have HID bulbs or anything special in them?
Maybe a Slee headlight harness?

If you switched off your high beams, it sputtered and died, keep looking for the connection electrically.

The stock high beams keep the low beams on all the time.

I would look at the light switch and wiring, even though it's supposed to be on a different circuit.

How about engine ground cables to frame, body to frame? Are they all attached?

Parts in hand. I plan to change the fusible link and see if it starts. The pray it makes it 500ft into the garage so I can start troubleshooting.

Update. Talked to my dad. He reminded me that when we drove it before the trip it had a slight miss in our driveway. I’m wondering if that was an injector grounding.

Update. Talked to my dad. He reminded me that when we drove it before the trip it had a slight miss in our driveway. I’m wondering if that was an injector grounding.
Check the injector wires, especially cylinder # 5 and 6. I have one truck that keep blowing out the fusible link and it took me a week to find the injector #5 wires was grinding out on the valve cover.

If the injector wires ground out, a different fusible link blows. This is my #5 injector before I fixed it. There was another bare spot on the back side of the wire.
1602344494829.png

To test for grounds without blowing a $15 fusible link each time, I made this. I popped 3 blade fuses before I found the short.
1602344690710.png

Changed the fusible link and it’s in the garage. Gonna pull off the air breather hose and tb and see if I see any bare spots in the injector wiring.

The fusible link hat has the connector is the one that blew. Isn’t that the injector wiring harness

To test for grounds without blowing a $15 fusible link each time, I made this. I popped 3 blade fuses before I found the short.
Excellent solution.

So far all the factory sheathing is in place and in good shape. I guess the next step is to pull the throttle body and cut the factory sheathing and see if I see anything

I’ve pulled the tb. All connectors are good. Only thing weird I’ve found so far is the #4 injector oozed a little gas outta the rail when I pulled on the connector. I put cleaned/rebuilt injectors in it about 5 years ago. Maybe I’ve got an oring leaking.

but I can’t find anything wrong with the wiring. It all looks to be in really good shape.

Have these things ever blown a fuse link for no reason other than age? I’m doubting it but figured I would ask.

Also, I’ve always suspected the ignition switch was failing intermittently. Could that possibly be a cause.

This isn't much help, but I popped my FL once randomly (IIRC same one you blew). Did the same thing with a short wire to get running. Ordered a new FL set and replaced. Never had an issue again and never knew what popped it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom