RTH - alternator issues, Birmingham AL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys. kinda reaching but might as well try and reach out to my fellow mudders. im currently far from home, in the middle of alabama. a few miles east of birmingham, pretty sure the tow truck is taking me to pell city or leeds. regardless, my destination is texas. all by myself and i’m pretty sure my alternator is giving out. anyone around here to help a friendly face out ? i don’t have much to offer. and just a point in the right direction helps.

currently there’s an autozone so i might be able to pick up some parts (only have limited tools with me) and i just want to be able to get an alternator from somewhere around here to make it back home. any response is nice. thank you !!

You may want to post this to the DixieLand Cruisers Clubhouse as well.

This is doable with basic hand tools. My steps from my maintenance notes are below:

Steps:
  • Disconnect battery - 10mm deep well on 3/8 stubby ratchet
  • Remove serpentine belt - 14mm 12 point 1/2” drive on breaker bar
  • Remove front skid with 8 12mm bolts.
  • Unbolt power steering pump with 12mm with short extension using 3/8 ratchet, there are three bolts removed through pulley. Bottom one maybe easier from bottom (do not disconnect any hoses)
  • Remove hose brace and hose coupler from hard lines to allow extra room to remove alternator. See pictures.
1568647281032.png

1568647315620.png

• Remove bolt 14mm from bottom of alternator
  • Remove nut 12mm from bottom of alternator
  • Remove nut 14mm from top of alternator
  • Remove bracket holding wire 10mm and nut from wire 10mm
  • Remove alternator wiring harness by pushing in (1/4” out from socket on perimeter side of connector) the mechanism is like a see saw
  • Remove alternator out from bottom by carefully moving hard lines and radiator hoses aside.
  • Installation is reverse. Two 14mm (bolt and larger nut) of alternator are 29 ftlbs.
B156264D-0EE5-4BD2-87FB-7A394A94A46E.jpg

Last edited:
@bamabrock may know someone near Birmingham that can help.

also : never replaced an alternator before so any tips would also be appreciated!
Get some PB blaster soaking on the backside of the mounting bolts while your waiting for your parts. Thats an important step to ensure you dont snap them during removal.

hey guys. kinda reaching but might as well try and reach out to my fellow mudders. im currently far from home, in the middle of alabama. a few miles east of birmingham, pretty sure the tow truck is taking me to pell city or leeds. regardless, my destination is texas. all by myself and i’m pretty sure my alternator is giving out. anyone around here to help a friendly face out ? i don’t have much to offer. and just a point in the right direction helps.

currently there’s an autozone so i might be able to pick up some parts (only have limited tools with me) and i just want to be able to get an alternator from somewhere around here to make it back home. any response is nice. thank you !!
The Lexus dealer is right by Leeds . I'm out of town today or I'd come help.

@bamabrock lexus would be my first choice. only thing is: i don’t want to have to end up paying $300 + for a job i can try and do myself. at the moment i’m getting it diagnosed to 100% sure it’s the alternator. if that’s the case, there’s plenty of parts places here off of exit ashville road off the interstate thankfully... also don’t know if my truck can make it there.. it’s pushing out a good 8-9 volts.

@bamabrock lexus would be my first choice. only thing is: i don’t want to have to end up paying $300 + for a job i can try and do myself. at the moment i’m getting it diagnosed to 10% sure it’s the alternator. if that’s the case, there’s plenty of parts places here off of exit ashville road off the interstate thankfully...

edit: I posted a RTH on the facebook page. It gets way more traffic than the page here.

Last edited:
If the dealer has it in stock you may be able to order online and list it is a pick up order and reduce the price. I did that with the Lexus dealer by me.

YES!
Contact Gerald at Gear Grinders Garage! He’s VERY near you and works on most all of our cruisers here!!! He’s even on here!
205-452-2575

Also.
My number is(205) 447-3038
I’d come get you but I’m at my cancer-free one year check-up!
I might still come out if your still in need in a few hours! LOL.
What truck you have? We might can swap some parts to get you going!

i have an lx470. thank you all for the help! being a 20 year old college student by myself hundreds of miles from home is scary but i’m committed to get this going.. found a place that sells the REMAN alternator. a job i’m not familiar with but with the steps... might be able to get the old girl going again. ill keep it posted. i’m just in a parking lot outside a parts store right now

Good luck, just note that the details I posted were specific to an '06 LC. I believe the output connector on the earlier models was different, so some of the specifics may differ, but I believe most everything will be done with 10mm, 12mm and 14mm.

Any way to post up your contact info? I got folks trying to find you I think...

Diggin the team effort

Autozone can get you an alternator with in hours- theirs has lifetime warranty. Your brushes are prob shot and thats prob really all you need $25 and replaced in 30 minutes or less once you have the alternator dismounted- possibly replaced while the ALT is connected if your hands are small enough. If available best option is DENSO, depending on your model year.

I'll bet a 6 pack that one of the B'ham guys has you sorted out before the sun is down.

Shop around a bit to find the one you want then uber to pick it up and bring you back to the truck. Between Tom Williams Lexus and the east Bham parts circuit, and the rebuild shop over there (I thiiiink they're still in business) you kinda landed in an excellent spot. Having the parts on hand makes this a :banana::banana: job at most.

Here's the Otramm video on brush replacement if you decide to go that route. 80 series but it's the same.

Brushes should be about $20. If you'd given us your model year I could have given you a part number.

469 412 5820 is my contact info! by all means come through ! i can direct y’all to where i am.

You didn’t answer and your mailbox is full
Trying to help you

out with the old .. in with the new. managed to get the part in less than 30 minutes and installation time roughly 2 hours. i appreciate the pictures @shevy77 they were absolutely helpful !! and thank you @Land Speeder for giving me a call! absoutely helped me a ton to help me get home as i’m about to screw in the last bolts ... will definitely keep in touch if i ever come through again! thank you all for the help

43FA90F5-195E-4F37-B0E2-466952646475.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom