Builds ROTW: "El Diablo" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At 90,000 miles there was a head gasket failure and overheating.

That is probably the cause of the bearing failure. Robbie was retelling the story on his first 80. He lost the PHH on the drive back to NM from Florida where he bought the truck. It overheated and later developed a slight piston slap. He drove it for another 2-3 years until he rebuilt the engine.

With good maintenance, you should get 200k from the rebuild.

-B-

Great writeup! I thought I did well buying my LX, you got quite the deal! I am anxious to see the dual battery setup.

Nice write up and nice rig. Thanks for sharing it.:beer:

Nice ride and good write-up it is always fascinating to learn the history of everyone's 80.

Spun bearing for sure. Had the same thing happen to my "bulletproof" 22R-E in my minitruck when the timing chain cut through the water jacket and totaled the oil.

Nice writeup!

Looks great Troy! Let me know when you're heading up AF canyon again, and I'll see if I can tag along.

Fax

thanks guys.

Adam, I can't believe it's been that long. We need to plan a trip.

I have a couple more minute and I always love the pictures in the ROTW so here are a couple more.

I took it wheeling in Moab after I put on the lift but before I took off the steps.
First trail I did with it was Kane Creek. the first picture was after I backed back down a bit after munching my driver's side step, and if you look close the passenger side step is tied on the rack. I had hit a rock right on the front of that step, pushing it back into the rear tire. Steps need to be removed prior to wheeling!
sliders.jpg

next picture is from the Grand Staircaise Escalante. First time I wheeled after putting on my George's designed sliders. It was kind of a weird spot. Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters, Will Carrol and Dave Connors and I had just rolled all those rocks into that position on purpose. They were to keep us from sliding on the ice into the very large rock. I was glad I had the sliders then.

I always seem to damage something before replacing it. Looks like new rear bumper next!
sliders.jpg
bumper.jpg

Awesome rig man. Great pics, and excellent write-up! Keep the photos coming.:beer::beer::cheers:

Keep the photos coming.:beer::beer::cheers:

First Picture: illustrates my problem with the mediums in the rear. When loaded down for camping it sags down too far. My reciever hitch is very close to the road!

Second Picture: J's up front provide just enough clearance for the 7" movie screen.

Third Picture: Nothing like driving a few miles on a road and coming across a sign that refers to it as an "ATV" trail.
PROBLEM WITH MEDIUMS.JPG
movie.jpg
atv trails.jpg

Lookin good Troy,
You forgot about the customer arch canyon pinstriping though....
Dave

Lookin good Troy,
You forgot about the customer arch canyon pinstriping though....
Dave

yea, I was hoping to take a clay bar to it this week.

couple more pictures.

camping with the family on Lockart Basin Road

paria river

san rafael swell
camp.jpg
fogging lense.jpg
san rafael swell.jpg

Dude where did you get that tent?? VERY cool. Whate brand is that?
airlaird

It's a cabelas alaknak deluxe or something like that. In that picture we hadn't connected the stove pipe yet, but we did later when the temperature dropped. Very cozy inside with a fire going. I have a front porch section that adds another 12' to the front. Makes for a nice cooking area and storage for food and ice chests. Better ventilation to keep things cool.

I like it a lot but it is a bit heavier than a lot of tents. Maybe why the lexus rear end sags when we load it for camping

troy

I noticed I'm still up in the ROTW. Maybe I'll add a little info on my other rig. I just finished the lift on it yesterday. Last year I picked up the 1995 4 Runner for my daughter to commute around in. She's 19 and has loved our 4 wheeling trips. I wasn't planning on doing much with the 4 runner but couldn't resist some things. I took the stock springs that came off the lexus and had them put on the rear of the runner. I added some used downey torsion bars and bump stops on the front and it rides very nice now. Much firmer than it did before! Like the difference of the stock lexus suspension and the OEM lift.

sorry for the parking lot shot but I haven't had a chance to get the new lift out on the dirt yet.
Grace's Graduation 016.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom