ROTW - cruiseruser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
CruiserUser gets his shot at Rig of the Week.

I want to thank all of you for giving advice and spending the time it takes to help bring people up to speed.

I tell people that I have an online support group for my cruiser addiction.

My name is CruiserUser, I’ve been addicted to Cruisers for 14 years…….

Background:
· I have owned my 80 for about six months.
· Bought it on e-bay for $11,000 and shipped it for $1,000
· When I got it, it had 109k on it and manix brush guards
· It’s locked

When I bought the cruiser I knew that 12-14 mpg would be too low for me. So the plan was to swap a diesel into it as soon as possible.. Initially I was having a hard time tracking down the elusive Toyota diesel. I strongly considered Cummins and thought about Isuzu etc. Then I tried to talk my wife into how cool it would be to have diesel that is as loud as a ups truck and got nowhere with that.

Back to E-bay. I began searching the rest of the world and found a 1hd-ft 24 valve Toyota Diesel (hino) for 800 pounds in England. I asked the seller a couple of questions and placed my bid. I won it and started searching wreckers in England for the tranny and everything else I needed. By the time I had bought what I could find, I had spent $4000usd. Shipping cost me $1000 and took 2 months. I will have spent another $10,000 by the time I’m done finding the last missing bits from Japan and paying the mechanical mastermind of this project (Raymond Fourie.)

I can’t say enough good things about Raymond. If you are considering this swap and are able to get into his schedule, then you will not be disappointed.

At this point I have yet to install a 3” exhaust system, tach, a/c pump, intercooler, and second battery.

In time I would like to upgrade to an arb winch bumper w/ winch, rear bumper w/ tire carrier, sliders, led’s, etc. etc.

So far besides the diesel, the only changes I have made are the shocks (Bilsteins) and the tires (BFG M/T 255-85-16.)

Right now I’m trying to figure out an inexpensive route on exhaust and intercooler piping. After I get that complete, (hopefully in the next couple of weeks since I’m driving to California and back,) I need to figure out a faulty ground that has killed my sunroof and dome lights. Input on these would be greatly appreciated.

I had the exhaust coming out of a down pipe for the first few days after the swap was complete. Man was that a cool sound. It was just like a big eighteen-wheeler! The thing would ROAR then when I shifted, the turbo would whistle. I loved it except at anywhere near WOT it gave me a headache! The wife wouldn’t ride in it anymore so I had to hook up the old stock gas exhaust temporarily. When the exhaust was free I was getting 24mpg, with old hooked back up it’s 19.

I am moving to Boulder CO in a couple of weeks and am a little nervous about emission testing with a ’96 diesel swap. Anybody have any experience with this?

Nice,
When I checked in on this forum this morning this is exactly the thread I was looking for.
Look forward to seeing more pics.
Have you thought about hooking up a aux tank and running veggie?

Please post pics of your progress, I've often dreamed of this swap but don't have the brownie points with the wife to even consider it.

More

More
b1hd-ft swap day 016.jpg

Thanks for celebrating with me!

Yup, it's the 5-speed.

I wanted to run SVO but I have heard concerns with coking associated with indirect diesel injected motors. Right now I'm running Bio Diesel 100% Virgin source.

As soon as I figure out my attachments I will share more photos. Cheers.

cruiseruser said:
I am moving to Boulder CO in a couple of weeks and am a little nervous about emission testing with a ’96 diesel swap. Anybody have any experience with this?

Register it somewhere other than Boulder county, there are counties where you don't have to do any emissions testing, most of which are outside of the "metro" areas.

Sounds nice, Look forward to seeing the pics (more of them)

Sam

Very nice, glad someone is paving the way for the rest of us. Please post more pics and good job:)

What year is your rig? There are a few posts in the wanted section for 80 series 1fZ engines.

Would be interested in what your see as the advantages in going deisel?

AWESOME. Nice job. How does the diesel engine compare to the 1FZ in terms of power and acceleration. That MPG is almost double what I get but the idea of running biodiesel is the really attractive part. Could you give a breakdown of the "other" parts you had to aquire or will be aquiring in relation to the swap with estimated prices? This would be most helpful.

I am jealous and will be buggin you a lot for advice once I am able to pull this off.

Cheers

snowcruiser said:
AWESOME. Nice job. How does the diesel engine compare to the 1FZ in terms of power and acceleration. That MPG is almost double what I get but the idea of running biodiesel is the really attractive part. Could you give a breakdown of the "other" parts you had to aquire or will be aquiring in relation to the swap with estimated prices? This would be most helpful.

I am jealous and will be buggin you a lot for advice once I am able to pull this off.

Cheers

I had to hound the wrecking yards in the U.K. Here is a correspondence with the wrecker I ended up using.

Thanks for your reply Steve. My mechanic tells me my list was shy of some critical bits and pieces. Would the price stand including these additional parts? Regards, Ryan.

engine harness ( unplugged at the firewall, or supply the pigtail loose) ended up paying$175

Starter 12 or 24 volt we can have it converted if needs be £50

Alternator with all mounting brackets £50

Power steering pump £75

Aircon pump with both hoses leading in and out disconnected at the first joint away from pump £75

fan with radiator and cowling. Inc in the £1100

RHS battery box £20

Top of the airfilter can with all hoses £20

Cruisecontrol servo and cable to the engine £40

Glow and start relays £40

diesel fuelfilter with mounting bracket £40

Hand throttle cable (goes between gas pedal and mounts to the right of thesteering wheel below) £20

Complete clutch and brake peddle assembly. Inc in the £1100

Master and clutch cylinders Inc in the £1100

Engine mounts including rear mount with crossmember £20 / mount

Instrument cluster or at least the tach Sold ended up paying $200

Steel plate that goes between the gearbox and engine behind the flywheel £25

Pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate Clutch assembly is inc in the £1100 , Flywheel & bearing £100

clutch fork with release bearing and clips Inc in the £1100

complete gearbox with transfer and wiring harness. Inc in the £1100

Front and rear propshafts £150 the pair

Front section of the exhaust £50

Both gearlevers with knobs Inc in the £1100

Gearbox tunnel coverplate with all rubbers boots around the gearlevers £30

The electronic decelleration sensor which is mounted next to the gearlever under the console ( do you have a picture of this please ?) $50

Thanks Steve Strange + 44 1257 472866 + 44 7801 456 066 steve@douglasvalley.co.uk www.douglasvalley.co.uk

Then I payd another $450 for a missing transmission mount, and shifter consul.

The exhaust needs to be upgraded, in my opinion, to accomadate the increase flow and minimize turbo lag. $500.

I chose to intercool the turbo. $650

Pyro and boost gages $150

Oh yeah, I spent another $900 on getting a vaccuum accumulator fabed up, having a flange on the tranny that was broken welded, heavy battery cables, a relay for the cold start hot box, a second battery box and battery a few swithces, and getting the timing reset.

Romer said:
What year is your rig? There are a few posts in the wanted section for 80 series 1fZ engines.

Would be interested in what your see as the advantages in going deisel?

Hey Romer,

That's partly a personal preferance. I have always loved the toque, efficiency, turbo, and "manlyness" of diesels. I ran heavy equipment, grooming the slopes at ski areas for a few years, and fell in love with diesels back then.

Oh yeah did I mention efficiency?!

I hope when I finish tuning up this engine and the honeymoon period where my foot is so heavy is over to be getting between 25 and 28 miles to the gallon. THAT turns me on.

The ability to disconnect from the whole system that brings us our fuel sounds really good. (home-brewed biodiesel.)

That's a start.

thats a lot of hard work but i recken would go good in the bush. Please tell me you will use it in the bush . Couldent import entire car from somewhere . whatever happens be proud you built it . cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom