Rotopax? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to upgrade my water jugs and get some Jerry cans, probably for the roof rack for now. These are pretty expensive but look like good quality and have a low profile. Also look easy to secure with 1" straps.

Does anybody have experience with them? Any other brands to look at?

The white units are for water. The red are for fuel and the spout is a real pain in the arse. A really stupid design. Otherwise, they are flat, stack really well and have a bowtie shaped locking system to hold them together. I used them when I was adventure riding for additional fuel and they worked well except for the spout issue.

Good luck in your decision.

I think anything you buy, off the shelf, is going to have spout issues. Thank CARB for that...

I've considered them. Lifting those 5 gallon Sceptor jugs just gets harder and harder. I wouldn't even consider placing a Sceptor on the roof without help. I've considered the 2 gallon Rotopax for this reason.

I carry a Rotopax for both water and fuel on my ladder.
Yes, the spouts could be better, but the light weight of the Rotopax is very nice.

5.jpg

I used the ECO spout for my totpax water can. l lilke this spout because it has an on/off mechanism.

FWIW the spouts on the Wavian Jerry cans seem excellent to me. But they are 20l, so traditional sized. I wouldn't store them on their sides, either. I frequently use the Front Runner water Jerry can on my Slee ladder, as it has a spigot and is super useful for all kinds of stuff (washing dishes, filling water bottles etc). I use Scepter water jugs when I'll be away from water for a long time. I'm fairly strong, so I can put them on the roof rack, but it takes a bit of effort, so I hear ya there...

I agree the spouts the newer ones for wavians are really good.

I like the Rotopax for quads, but on a vehicle that does not get good gas mileage, the volumes they carry is insufficient.

Do you have venting issues when emptying your Rotopax? I can't see a separate vent path in this spout, which would make it slow and irritating to use. They talk about a 2nd vent cap, but my 4 gallon containers only have one opening, so it's necessary to both dump and vent from one opening. For a buck more you can get a Rotopax water spout and it works fine. Still a little slow but so much better than the supplied CARB fuel spout and the sides of the container don't get sucked in from the no vent issue.

I like the beefy construction of the Rotopax compared to other plastic fuel containers and mine don't leak at the cap which is critical because I carry mine horizontal. They're more expensive than most, but if you've handled them, you can see the superior construction.

Do you have venting issues when emptying your Rotopax? I can't see a separate vent path in this spout, which would make it slow and irritating to use. They talk about a 2nd vent cap, but my 4 gallon containers only have one opening, so it's necessary to both dump and vent from one opening. For a buck more you can get a Rotopax water spout and it works fine. Still a little slow but so much better than the supplied CARB fuel spout and the sides of the container don't get sucked in from the no vent issue.

I like the beefy construction of the Rotopax compared to other plastic fuel containers and mine don't leak at the cap which is critical because I carry mine horizontal. They're more expensive than most, but if you've handled them, you can see the superior construction.

The kit comes with a separate vent. You drill a 1/2 hole where you want the vent and snap it in. Now it works just like the old style fuel cans. When you drill the can be sure and use a step drill. A regular drill bit with make an irregular hole in the plastic and it won't seal.

20181019_122909.jpg
20181019_122847.jpg

The kit comes with a separate vent. You drill a 1/2 hole where you want the vent and snap it in. Now it works just like the old style fuel cans. When you drill the can be sure and use a step drill. A regular drill bit with make an irregular hole in the plastic and it won't seal....
Ah, it makes sense, now. Thanks for clarifying! That would work well for carrying containers upright - as in your pics. But, might give problems if carried hoizontal, since Rotopax doesn't have the vent or an option to have one. But, you did an excellent install - looks like it came that way! Good tip about the drill bit to use.

The kit comes with a separate vent. You drill a 1/2 hole where you want the vent and snap it in. Now it works just like the old style fuel cans. When you drill the can be sure and use a step drill. A regular drill bit with make an irregular hole in the plastic and it won't seal.

View attachment 1813506 View attachment 1813507

Can you link to the spare tire mount you used for this install?

Can you link to the spare tire mount you used for this install?

No link, I made it.
I took a rotopax mount for a jeep spare, welded the back plate inside the tire carrier of the FJ. In retrospect I wouldn't do it again. I have to remove the gas can, then unbolt the plate the tank bolts to, then remove the spare. Kind of a pain

spare_rotopax_mount_2000x.png

I hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom