RotopaX Rooftop Fuel Carrier on Stock Crossbars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Sneak peak at a little project I did today. RotopaX storage on OE crossbars. Will write up more about it later.

IMG_20180310_191434.jpg

As a I tow an RV, I needed a fuel canister for 2x reasons: generator to power A/C, and extra fuel margin as towing nets me 10-11 mpg. Wanted a secure exterior place to mount this.

Surprisingly, there are no RotopaX kits out there adaptable to OEM crossbars. So rolled my own:

1) Made of AL extrusions and sheet, riveted together.
2) Yakima MightyMounts 23H.
3) RotopaX RX-DLX-PM Deluxe Pack Mount

fuelpax2.jpg
fuelpax1.jpg

Last edited:
Very clean job! No lock? I just did this, attached to my cheap roof rack.

65D5E306-17C5-41C1-AA01-665395D979C2.jpeg

Interested in this. The biggest reason I wanted a rear bumper was to carry fuel, but this would be great until that day comes.
Short of the weight on top, which wouldn't be a lot for a few gallons of fuel, any other issues with carrying fuel up there? Leaks or something like that?

Interested in this. The biggest reason I wanted a rear bumper was to carry fuel, but this would be great until that day comes.
Short of the weight on top, which wouldn't be a lot for a few gallons of fuel, any other issues with carrying fuel up there? Leaks or something like that?
No issues. These cans are pretty much bulletproof. No leaks flat or upright.

Yea I carried a rotopax on my roof for quite a few trips before I mounted them under my truck. They just... don’t leak. That said, when on trips, multi states, which really means changes in altitude and the sun beating directly on them all day, they bulge to redicius sizes. Never once had a leak, but the pax was never the same dimensions again till a winter trip where they would suck inward from the cold and kinda, reshape themselves.

What Yakima Mighty Mount did you use?

I found the 23H #03523 works well but discontinued.

Added details to the second post.

Very clean job! No lock? I just did this, attached to my cheap roof rack.
Sure a lock would be more secure. But guess I've not had issues in the camping world.

What Yakima Mighty Mount did you use? I found the 23H #03523 works well but discontinued.

Yes, 23H. It worked perfectly for this application. Didn't realize they were discontinued?

Very clever install ,simple is always best.

Yup, those are them. Lots of them still out there on the web but not at the local shops if you have a local shop any more. Yakima uses another design now, kind of a one size fits all clamp.

Surprisingly, there are no RotopaX kits out there adaptable to OEM crossbars. So rolled my own:

1) Made of AL extrusions and sheet, riveted together.
2) Yakima MightyMounts 23H.
3) RotopaX RX-DLX-PM Deluxe Pack Mount
]

Nice and simple, but as an ex-A&P I need to warn you that the design is a little suspect. Normally you want the load going down onto the flat plate, and pushing the plate onto the angles. Yours appears to be hanging all the weight from the small rivet tails.

If the angles were flipped 180 degres the mount would be much stronger.

Keep an eye on those rivets, they will loosen.... you don’t want a can of fuel coming loose on your roof.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Nice and simple, but as an ex-A&P I need to warn you that the design is a little suspect. Normally you want the load going down onto the flat plate, and pushing the plate onto the angles. Yours appears to be hanging all the weight from the small rivet tails.

If the angles were flipped 180 degres the mount would be much stronger.

Keep an eye on those rivets, they will loosen.... you don’t want a can of fuel coming loose on your roof.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Fair assessment. And I absolutely agree with you.

I did debate this and flipping the angle outwards was driven by the want to keep the overall length short. By turning them in, the yakima mounts would interfere with the tank in the corners.

I looked for short machine screws to fit in the key corners of the plate where it meets the angles and flat bars. Didn't have any on hand so went with larger 3/8" rivets.

With your feedback, I will surely replace those with screws next time I'm at the hardware store. :cheers:

As an alternative, and as a failsafe, you could get a 1 inch ratchet strap and wrap it around the angles and can. Cinch it tight with the loose tail tucked under the strap. Problem solved.

John Davies
Spokane WA

DUPLICATE

@TeCKis300 how's this setup holding up? It looks like that's the blow-molded 3.5 gallon Fuelpax and not the roto-molded 3 gallon Rotopax? I don't have a generator but I've been considering mounting a rotopax or fuelpax to my roof as well since gas stations are few and far between out west and more than once I've been concerned about running out of fuel when towing. Currently debating:
  • which is less likely to leak
  • whether I want to try to throw 4+ gallons up there or stick to a couple smaller 2-3 gallon containers
  • if ratchet straps are sufficient for mounting or if I should spend the extra $ and get the mount and plate

Slightly OT, but I was looking for a vertical mount. These have been discontinued for several years, but the Yakima 10v is the same internal size as the 23H. I can confirm they fit perfectly on the stock 2009 LX570 cross bars. I found a set on eBay.
Too bad they discontinued the 23H; I bought some just a couple months ago retail. Time to buy another set I guess; it looks like the rack genie isn't coming to visit me this year.

yakima 10v.jpeg

@TeCKis300 how's this setup holding up? It looks like that's the blow-molded 3.5 gallon Fuelpax and not the roto-molded 3 gallon Rotopax? I don't have a generator but I've been considering mounting a rotopax or fuelpax to my roof as well since gas stations are few and far between out west and more than once I've been concerned about running out of fuel when towing. Currently debating:
  • which is less likely to leak
  • whether I want to try to throw 4+ gallons up there or stick to a couple smaller 2-3 gallon containers
  • if ratchet straps are sufficient for mounting or if I should spend the extra $ and get the mount and plate

It's working well! I'm off to a long weekend camping trip later this week and throwing the fuel canister up there. I leave the mount attached to the crossbars at all times. It's barely visible there unless ones looking for it. And I only mount the canister when I go on a trip. It's easy to toss on/take off. Yes, it's a 3.5gal fuelpax. I don't have a particular need for the overly robust rotopax, nor do I leave it up there exposed to the elements. The fuelpax uses the same cap/nozzle so I don't anticipate any leaks. Maybe I'll grab a few more pics this weekend.

If you read reviews on Amazon for the rotopax mounted on vehicle roofs its leak story after leak story. Ruined windshield gaskets and smelly gas on the hands. I dig the concept / design but hesitant to spend $x on possible leaky plastic. Just throwing that out there. Nice fab work for you rack.

@Willy beamin yeah leaks are my biggest concern, but I don't have a steel rear bumper so I'm limited to what I can mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom