RotellaT Syn over Chevron (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Great stuff for the price and you can also find it Walmart for $12.98 a gallon.

Cay

I like Rotella T syn 5w40, too. I've run Delvac 1 5w40 (liked that, but pricey), then tried Rotella T syn 5w40, then tried M1 10w40, will switch back to Rotella T syn on the next change. My fuel economy was best w/ the Rotella T syn (this is for a '86 4runner w/ 4-cyl, fuel injected, 157K mi engine). With the Delvac 1, I got about 24.1-24.5 mpg. With the M1 10w30, it dropped to 23.5-23.8mpg, while w/ Rotella T syn 5w40, it averaged a consistent 25mpg (these are averages over 3K mi). These mileages are to/from work (22 mi each way, maybe a dozen traffic lights, surface streets, light foot). BTW, I usually run Chevron 91 w/ techron fuel. The best I ever got was 27mpg down from Flagstaff to Tucson (loosely drafted a big-rig for the last 100 miles--just far back enough so I could see the driver's side mirror). That was running Shell 91 gas w/ Rotella T syn 5w40.

I read specs showing the TBN (total base number) on M1 10w30 is only 6, while w/ Delvac 1, it's 12 and with Rotella T syn, it's 10. This suggests to me that extended intervals using non-0w40 M1 is more marketing hype. Looking at the specs, the chevron synthetic (I think 5w40) seemed the best of any brand, but I've yet to see that anywhere.

I use the rotella T 15w40 dino on the stinky as its got the "C" class for diesels
I never looked at the Syn stuff to see if it also has the the "S" and the "C" class on the SAE circle
If so then I may have to start getting it by the drum :D

I ran dino Rotella T 15w40 last summer and liked it. If the syn doesn't work I will get a drum of dino RotellaT too.
The Rotella says it is for all diesel and gas motors.

Couple of Comments:

1) TBN- For some reason, not all TBN's are equal. Some deplete faster than others.

2) Rotella- Both the Rotella T and the Rotella Synth are diesel/multi use fleet oils, so feel free to use them in either (assuming your Diesel doesn't have a really strange oil requirement).

3) If you are looking at Rotella T Mineral, you should also consider the Chevron Delo 15w-40, probably the best mineral oil made.

Cary

Did some high rpm's today and no oil was used with the syn.Rotella. So far, so good.

This definitely seems to be a small drip – not gushing. This morning it dripped pretty steadily. But after topping it off with oil at lunch it seems to have subsided. Not too sure what’s going on.
CJ

Landtoy,
Your are correct. I got the wrong thread.
But at leat I'm dripping Rotella-T Synthetic, so it's not completely off topic. :D
My bad.
CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom