Roof Top Tents-My pet peeve (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree with everyone that hates RTT's. I also agree it is a matter of personal choice. Any roof storage is gone. Height clearance is always cut down. Top heavy. The list goes on for me. But they do give that I go camping image and it is a talking piece. I think if you go on short weekend trips and don't need the extra storage on top and don't mind spending the money I guess it's kinda a neat way to camp. And you don't mind lugging it around and have a tall garage.

I prefer something I can stand up in and walk around. I'm 6'4". I also prefer a queen sized air mattress, sheets, real pillows and a feather tick. I also like to be able to fit 2 camp chairs and a side table in the tent. On the ground where I can walk in and out off. Needs to be set up and broken down in 15min or less. Should not take up that much space.

This is our set up. It's so comfortable for long trips. Even broke a few folks that said they would never go camping. I let them stay in the big house and just pop the two man tent we always carry for my wife and I to sleep in. When they come back for more I stick them in the tent and reclaim the big house. ;)

Can't have that space with a RTT. Less than 1/3 the cost. Not even sure what the difference is with weight. The tent is less than 20lbs not sure the awning but less than 50lbs. Oh yeah, you can also just set up the awning super quick. That comes in use every year when we go to Ocracoke island out on the beach. Killing a lot of birds with one stone that weighs 3. Not 30 stone and serves one purpose.

View attachment 2700198

View attachment 2700199

View attachment 2700200

View attachment 2700201

I've run the ARB room as well but it also carries some of the issues that plague a roof top tent and in some ways it's worse. Similar to an RTT your campsite/tent/vehicle are all tied together. Once you set up the awning, room, bedding you are locked in. You can't leave base camp. Setting up the room actually takes longer than any RTT setup I've run since you have to set up the awning first and then the room along with its dozens of clips. The room itself is quite bulky and takes up quite a bit of space in the vehicle and folding it back down to fit into the bag is like trying to roll up any tent and trying to stuff it into the sack. The room is essentially a brick in the wind and if you've ever been in high winds that are strong enough to lift up your awning and flip it over then well I wouldn't want to be in a room that is essentially attached to an awning.

The awning rooms are nice in that you can stand up in them, have basically open walls all around if you choose to, and they make great annexes or hang out spaces. I'm not trying to poo poo on your setup and everyone has a setup that they prefer but as far as using awning rooms as a tent I never found them to be very speedy, convenient, nor flexible. I think they're okay if you're going to stay in one spot for a few days but I typically only stay one night at a spot and move on the next day so the awning room setup never worked for me. Just things to think about for those exploring this option.

We own a Roofnest Falcon XL and for our camping style of being spontaneous, fast and agile an RTT is awesome.

Our biggest takeaway is quality of sleep. You are off the dirt and sleep in a clean environment. Heck, we have sheets and a down comforter. Peace of mind for any animal disruptions during the night. The elevation provides more of a breeze and air circulation. Most valuable is having a flat platform with a super comfortable mattress. In our set up we use an Exped Megamat that stays in the tent. Nothing better than waking up after a good night's sleep and looking out from the elevated view. Once you experience it it's very hard to go back to sleeping on the ground.

Sure, there are some downsides. Wife getting up during the night is the biggest downside. I notice a little more sway and I do lose about a mile to the gallon. Otherwise, set up and takedown is less than 5 minutes. We have it mounted to a Frontrunner Slimline which done correctly has zero wind noise. The Falcon is low profile so I can fit the LC in the garage. I also use a Racor garage hoist that allows me to lift and store the tent against the ceiling in my garage. This allows me to mount and dismount the tent by myself which I do frequently.

IMG_1072.jpeg

IMG_1056.jpeg

1929E8AC-A3AC-4E0A-8EB8-90E8B867493D 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Hah, speaking of which. This is another possible avenue I'm considering. Really liking the configuration of your overland trailer. Interested in your take and going to watch my buddies to see how this config of camping works.

I just got done building this trailer for a buddy. Not exactly the way I would have configured it, but it was built to his wants.
View attachment 2700089

Funny slippery slope. The bookfold RTT came from another buddy that had this waaay high up on a full size rack on the back of his 6" lifted Titan. All the pet peeve realities posted by @DenverLX. Difficult setup, 2MPG impact to MPG, way up in the air making it difficult for drunkenness and nighttime tinkles, and made off-road performance suffer because of the weight and high center of gravity.

I encouraged the trailer buddy to setup his rack/tent lower like @BlackMammoth 's but he wanted the height for annex and awning. He did compromise and bring it lower to some degree which can be lifted more by stabilizer jacks. Will see how this plays out for him, but I can see how it'll be overall easier to manage on a trailer.

Buddy with the Titan went for a Hardshell type RTT to ease setup and possibly improve aero. View attachment 2700091

I'm hoping for this. Model'd on @WesSiler 's photogenic rig. Keeping an open mind to see how offroad trailers work out for my buddies. My homebuilt one and a ridiculous Vorsheer XOC trailer.
View attachment 2700103
I loaned the truck to GFC for that photoshoot. We don't actually run a tent on it.

I'm of the admittedly controversial opinion that RTTs really don't make sense on an SUV. You're just making too many sacrifices in order to carry a small shelter that's incredibly exposed to the elements in the worst possible place. It makes way, way more sense to build a pickup around one, creating a portable camping cabana:

Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/B9mywe-BtHo/

Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/B9fgDZqFtv-/

Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/B9P81eVlhW4/

For me this comes down to the question that is sometimes left unanswered when doing a "rig build": What do you (realistically) see yourself doing? It's made difficult with instagram and dreamy "overlanding" videos

My wife and I have always been, and most likely will continue to be, basecamp people. The wife doesn't so much enjoy being in the vehicle, and usually wants to explore an area on foot rather than pass through. So for us a RTT makes no sense. We recently picked up a 10x14 canvas tent (kodiak makes some nice, relatively affordable canvas tents). It has room for a kingsize air mattress, table, chairs, dogs, bags, and is tall enough to stand up in. Canvas is quiet in the wind, unlike dome tents with rainflys that need frequent adjustment. It does take some cussing to pitch, but we plan our trips around setting up and staying in one place for at least 2-3 nights. It's also a heavy, awkward package to lug around and stow when packed.

For more impromptu trips we've got a kelty 4-person tent when we just want to stop for a night or so, and when it's just one of us we have a kelty 2-person tent, although with the drawers in the LC being a close match to the height of the middle row of seats folded down it's probably easier to sleep in the truck. All in I'd guess we've got around $2,000 in the tents, sleeping pads and air mattress, and the sleeping bags. For us this offers quite a bit more flexibility and comfort than a RTT offers.

When we want more of a glamping experience, outdoorsy has never failed to find us a camper to rent for a week or so.

Big fan of RTT just not on vehicle roof.

View attachment 2699995

I feel the same way. We have a similar setup. Eezi awn tent and awning on a custom m416 trailer. Having tent camped on the ground all over the country for years I would never go back. As a family of 4, soon to be 5, with 2 large dogs, we will have this setup until the kids are out of the house. Our RTT on a trailer is better in almost every way. That being said I would never use one on my roof rack.

Screenshot_20210614-154433_Reddit.jpg

I've run the ARB room as well but it also carries some of the issues that plague a roof top tent and in some ways it's worse. Similar to an RTT your campsite/tent/vehicle are all tied together. Once you set up the awning, room, bedding you are locked in. You can't leave base camp. Setting up the room actually takes longer than any RTT setup I've run since you have to set up the awning first and then the room along with its dozens of clips. The room itself is quite bulky and takes up quite a bit of space in the vehicle and folding it back down to fit into the bag is like trying to roll up any tent and trying to stuff it into the sack. The room is essentially a brick in the wind and if you've ever been in high winds that are strong enough to lift up your awning and flip it over then well I wouldn't want to be in a room that is essentially attached to an awning.

The awning rooms are nice in that you can stand up in them, have basically open walls all around if you choose to, and they make great annexes or hang out spaces. I'm not trying to poo poo on your setup and everyone has a setup that they prefer but as far as using awning rooms as a tent I never found them to be very speedy, convenient, nor flexible. I think they're okay if you're going to stay in one spot for a few days but I typically only stay one night at a spot and move on the next day so the awning room setup never worked for me. Just things to think about for those exploring this option.

The thing is you can drop the tent from the awning with everything still inside. Unzip the front and unclip the sides. Believe it or not there is still enough flex to remove the piping strip that attaches to the truck mount (awning). And then it is just a matter of rolling up the awning which is nothing. Less than 10 minutes. What I do is mark the location off all 4 tyres. So when you return you park exactly where you set it up. That's it. Run the piping strip and reclip and zipper.

As far as folding it back up that is a huge complaint from almost every one. There is a trick to that as well. You have to do it right. It will fold up tighter than it came originally packed from the manufacturer. As far as size is concerned its' maybe 30" tall and a 16"-18" cylinder and weighs 20-25lbs. So it's a lot less weight and smaller than a RTT if storage is a concern. With a RTT you pretty much kill any roof storage and again its top heavy. I do enjoy rolling over every once and while but not in my 200.

My wife keeps saying she want's to make a Youtube video showing how we set it up, break it down temporarily and reset it along with packing it back up so it actually fits back into the bag.

It's impossible to poo poo on my set up because it's my set up and it works brilliant for me. Like you said everyone's needs are different. I hate RTT's so I took the opportunity when I saw the title of this thread to air my personal grievences with them and possibly offer others a different solution. If you have one and it works for you great! We also carry a 2 person tent for those quick in and out evenings. (also an option to carry if you have a RTT and want a lightning fast set when traveling.) And the back converts into a sleeping platform. So 3 ways to catch some zzzz's 1 truck. ( There is a NSFW joke in the last sentence) All three combined take up less space and weight than a RTT.

The thing is you can drop the tent from the awning with everything still inside. Unzip the front and unclip the sides. Believe it or not there is still enough flex to remove the piping strip that attaches to the truck mount (awning). And then it is just a matter of rolling up the awning which is nothing. Less than 10 minutes. What I do is mark the location off all 4 tyres. So when you return you park exactly where you set it up. That's it. Run the piping strip and reclip and zipper.

As far as folding it back up that is a huge complaint from almost every one. There is a trick to that as well. You have to do it right. It will fold up tighter than it came originally packed from the manufacturer. As far as size is concerned its' maybe 30" tall and a 16"-18" cylinder and weighs 20-25lbs. So it's a lot less weight and smaller than a RTT if storage is a concern. With a RTT you pretty much kill any roof storage and again its top heavy. I do enjoy rolling over every once and while but not in my 200.

My wife keeps saying she want's to make a Youtube video showing how we set it up, break it down temporarily and reset it along with packing it back up so it actually fits back into the bag.

It's impossible to poo poo on my set up because it's my set up and it works brilliant for me. Like you said everyone's needs are different. I hate RTT's so I took the opportunity when I saw the title of this thread to air my personal grievences with them and possibly offer others a different solution. If you have one and it works for you great! We also carry a 2 person tent for those quick in and out evenings. (also an option to carry if you have a RTT and want a lightning fast set when traveling.) And the back converts into a sleeping platform. So 3 ways to catch some zzzz's 1 truck. ( There is a NSFW joke in the last sentence) All three combined take up less space and weight than a RTT.
Bring that Youtube on I'm very interested !!

I used to be a ground tent guy. But with the advent of the new lighter clamshells…I’m sold.

Easy up/down. My 9 y/o can do it.

1D9EBB30-2DD4-4364-87B5-9A7731F6BDD0.jpeg

Light/aerodynamic
9EF165ED-2787-4707-9CA8-25B5A526EBB8.jpeg

Clean/Cozy
67DFB25A-3489-4BB4-8B22-B71640F4E74D.jpeg

Had a thunderstorm last weekend. That wasn’t fun, but I’ll still take that over a muddy ground tent.

For me this comes down to the question that is sometimes left unanswered when doing a "rig build": What do you (realistically) see yourself doing? It's made difficult with instagram and dreamy "overlanding" videos

That really hits the nail on the head. For just about every single configuration, whether RTT, ground tent, camper... Instagram dreaminess goes away quickly when reality sets in. The lifestyle and fun isn't what they expected. Similar to watching all the van life drama unfold on youtube, and how different daily life is from a picture.

I've been fortunate to try many configs now. I do enjoy each one, especially with great company. Fun to compare and contrast. I have my preferences, as do my family members. My wife will only come out with the Airstream on account of the bathroom. For myself, and maybe one child, I prefer the simplicity of tossing a few bags in the LX, an air mattress, drive off, and car camp.

Maybe blasphemy on these boards, but I'm also secretly looking forward to a Cybertruck. 6.5' bed/vault, it's practically got a built in climate controlled tent in the back.

With so many people trying out different forms of camping for the first time getting out of COVID, standby for some great deals as they find out whatever form of camping reality isn't for them.

I've tried most every style of camping and here are my thoughts:

Car camp (inside the vehicle sleeping)- Arguably the safest and quietest way to camp and you can easily control the climate by turning on the vehicle if/when needed. Drawbacks are that it takes up most of your interior space so you'll need drawers and/or roof rack storage. Using a vent on the windows is a must to control the climate and moisture. This is still my most preferred way to quick camp for a night or two when moving somewhere new each day, especially when solo.

Adventure trailer- Great option for a base camp IMHO but you have the benefit of it following along over easy to moderate trails. My biggest gripe with these (I've tried a custom and a homemade military trailer) is having to worry about towing it to and from your location but more annoyingly when on the trail and depending on how technical the trail is can really make for a long day. For the money I find them to be a nuisance, an added liability and I hated that I couldn't stand up inside, for $30K that's not ok IMHO.

RTT- On paper they look like the very best option for the money but in reality they are just annoying IMHO. The negatives have been covered in this thread ad nauseam but the most notable for me is the nuisance of having to remove it when done and not being able to stand up inside. I've never had a good nights sleep in one and the added weight up top is always noticeable in the vehicles handling.

Camper Shell/Habitat- I've had traditional camper shells and we tried the AT Habitat with the flip open top tent as well. Camper shells are one of the oldest options and work well for what they are. I find their utility more useful on a daily basis more so than when camping but they flat out work. The AT Habitat/GFC/Flippac/etc. are very nice in that they give you both a camper shell and a roof top tent. We really enjoyed the AT because we could stand up in the bed and still dress and/or go to the bathroom in private within the bed of the truck. I still rate this option high on the list but you obviously need a truck and the look isn't for everyone.

In Bed Camper- Think FWC/ATC/Alaskan/Hallmark/OEV/Bundutec, a slide-in or flatbed RV style camper for the bed of your truck. Lots of debate between popup tops and fixed side styles but for me the lighter weight popup top like the FWC/ATC/Bundutec take the cake for off-road use. While we have a Land Cruiser and prefer to explore off-road in one for day trips, I can't deny the luxury afforded to you with one of these. Hard sides, climate controlled, inside kitchen with stove/sink/fridge, a dinette, bathroom options if you so choose, a king size bed, storage space, endless power ports, windows and a lockable door and best of all the ability to stand up lol. Again, you need a truck but like @WesSiler said, I've found a truck based camper to be the most user friendly option while still being capable. This is by far the priciest way to go but it affords you a true home on wheels that nothing else can compare to short of a van like a Sprinter build (which I also love). We are currently building a RAM 3500 with a flatbed FWC setup for our next adventure rig.

As much as I hate ground camping (I hate the setup, tear down and clean up more so than actually sleeping in one), I'd still take a quality ground tent like an OZ Tent or Gazelle over a RTT any day of the week. I used to love to hammock camp, it was my preferred way to sleep especially when motorcycle camping, but after my back and hip injury sadly I can no longer tolerate a full night in one. Nothing is perfect and personal preference, location, climate, number of those camping, etc. all factor in to what makes sense for you and your particular needs. What's nice is to have options so that you aren't stuck with just one way to camp every single time you go out.

I have always hated Roof Top Tents, but this video brought up aspects I had never even thought of, good watch

Below is my summery of why I think they are dumb, but the video had additional points that were great too.

I camp 40+ nights a year, and I have never even thought about getting a RTT.
-RTTs are extremely expensive, like ridiculous, plus the roof rack, its crazy. Get airbnb's for a year instead.
-Wind Noise while camping: You'er on top of a truck, instead of using your truck or trees for a wind block. Your extremely exposed to all weather up there.
-Wind Noise while driving
-Reduced gas milage
-Reduced payload- these things weigh a ton, insane to put that weight on your truck
-They are not faster to put up than a regular tent
-How am I suppose to pee in the middle of the night? Do you realize how drunk I get while camping, seems straight dangerous to be that high
-How is my dog or a small child supposed to get up there?
-You can't camp at good spots: you can't go camp by the river or under that shade tree in the grass, nope its the parking lot for you
-You have to level the vehicle-What a pain in the ass
-Exposed: No shade, no tree cover for rain, no wind block
-They look really stupid, most people do not cam enough to have one of these
-No garages
-"Say what you will, I got my wife to go camping now because of a RTT" is not an excuse to own one. Your wife is weak, toughen her up or leave her at home bro.

But most of all, you don't even need a tent 80%+ of the time (in the rockies). If its not raining or bugs, why put up a tent at all? I sleep outside on a cot 90% of the time under the stars.
If you want to step up your sleep game get drawers and sleep in your truck. This is what I do when the weather turns on me. Way more shelter and its great.

Hopefully I never see a 200 with one again. Thanks for your time :)

All good points, but how else can you let everyone know you are a better cooler camper than them?? 🤪

My wife and I have always been, and most likely will continue to be, basecamp people. The wife doesn't so much enjoy being in the vehicle, and usually wants to explore an area on foot rather than pass through. So for us a RTT makes no sense. We recently picked up a 10x14 canvas tent (kodiak makes some nice, relatively affordable canvas tents). It has room for a kingsize air mattress, table, chairs, dogs, bags, and is tall enough to stand up in. Canvas is quiet in the wind, unlike dome tents with rainflys that need frequent adjustment. It does take some cussing to pitch, but we plan our trips around setting up and staying in one place for at least 2-3 nights. It's also a heavy, awkward package to lug around and stow when packed.

For more impromptu trips we've got a kelty 4-person tent when we just want to stop for a night or so, and when it's just one of us we have a kelty 2-person tent, although with the drawers in the LC being a close match to the height of the middle row of seats folded down it's probably easier to sleep in the truck. All in I'd guess we've got around $2,000 in the tents, sleeping pads and air mattress, and the sleeping bags. For us this offers quite a bit more flexibility and comfort than a RTT offers.

When we want more of a glamping experience, outdoorsy has never failed to find us a camper to rent for a week or so.

That really hits the nail on the head. For just about every single configuration, whether RTT, ground tent, camper... Instagram dreaminess goes away quickly when reality sets in. The lifestyle and fun isn't what they expected. Similar to watching all the van life drama unfold on youtube, and how different daily life is from a picture.

I've been fortunate to try many configs now. I do enjoy each one, especially with great company. Fun to compare and contrast. I have my preferences, as do my family members. My wife will only come out with the Airstream on account of the bathroom. For myself, and maybe one child, I prefer the simplicity of tossing a few bags in the LX, an air mattress, drive off, and car camp.

Maybe blasphemy on these boards, but I'm also secretly looking forward to a Cybertruck. 6.5' bed/vault, it's practically got a built in climate controlled tent in the back.

With so many people trying out different forms of camping for the first time getting out of COVID, standby for some great deals as they find out whatever form of camping reality isn't for them.

No no no. Nothing wrong with an Airstream. Getting outdoors and being comfortable with the entire family. Not every one is 23 and can sleep on rocks and uses a rock to open a can of beans. The comfort is how you get normal rational people that want a shower and a place to poop in private, not squatting behind a tree, to enjoy the out doors. I would get one in heartbeat but it won't go everywhere. That's just our thing.

I got the chance last year to visit a friend back home and he turned me on to the company Opus. He has the OP4 and the thing is a dream. Can't compare it to an Airstream but for a trailer its very close. No bathroom lol. You can beat the bloody hell out of 'em and take them anywhere. It's seriously like a private club house in the rough. It's less than 5 minutes to set up and the setup is unclip a few clips and flip a switch. It's practically automatic. The tear down is the same. Integrated fridge, oven and cook top water storage and pump with heater. A lot of bells and whistles. Now that we moved out of the city and have a lot more space we are talking to a dealer about the specs. Hopefully by this winter it's state side but with supply chains today you never know? I am still keeping the ARB tent. ;)

Next year 2022 you will see the deals on used camping stuff. This year everyone is racing out to use their new gear. National parks and state parks are a joke right now. Packed full. That dream will end once everyone forgets about the pandemic and goes on with life as usual and needs to free up space in their garage.

Next year 2022 you will see the deals on used camping stuff. This year everyone is racing out to use their new gear. National parks and state parks are a joke right now. Packed full. That dream will end once everyone forgets about the pandemic and goes on with life as usual and needs to free up space in their garage.
I really REALLY hope this is the case. We live just outside Chattahoochee National Forest in north GA and it’s a mad house on the weekends and during the week it’s even busy.

No no no. Nothing wrong with an Airstream. Getting outdoors and being comfortable with the entire family. Not every one is 23 and can sleep on rocks and uses a rock to open a can of beans. The comfort is how you get normal rational people that want a shower and a place to poop in private, not squatting behind a tree, to enjoy the out doors. I would get one in heartbeat but it won't go everywhere. That's just our thing.

I got the chance last year to visit a friend back home and he turned me on to the company Opus. He has the OP4 and the thing is a dream. Can't compare it to an Airstream but for a trailer its very close. No bathroom lol. You can beat the bloody hell out of 'em and take them anywhere. It's seriously like a private club house in the rough. It's less than 5 minutes to set up and the setup is unclip a few clips and flip a switch. It's practically automatic. The tear down is the same. Integrated fridge, oven and cook top water storage and pump with heater. A lot of bells and whistles. Now that we moved out of the city and have a lot more space we are talking to a dealer about the specs. Hopefully by this winter it's state side but with supply chains today you never know? I am still keeping the ARB tent. ;)

I have an Opus too and I love it. I used to be a trailer hater forever but with a family I think it's the perfect compromise.

Rooftop tents are cool if you're using them like an "overlander" would on a cross-continent journey - packing up every night and driving on through the day. I like that style of camping when I'm by myself or with friends who have trucks with legit suspensions and we're mainly enjoying bombing down 50+ miles of washboard/BLM roads and finding a new spot every night. But everything else... don't need to beat a dead horse there, everyone's already talked about the wind noise, the pain of taking dogs up the ladder, setup and takedown time when you attach awnings and annexes and everything, you can't move your camp without a complete teardown etc.

Did anyone talk about height yet?? You see some of those rigs driving down the road with roof top tent on top of a roof rack, on top of roof rails - like 2 feet of stuff on top. And then you still need a kitchen/fridge/cooler setup, and you have nowhere to stand up or hang out (unless you get an annex). I feel like RTTs are cool but an awkward medium.

Anyway, I love the trailer for all those reasons. Everything is self contained and you can drop it off at the campsite and explore. Larger, lifted trailers with no through axles can be dragged up a lot of trails too - but I will admit it's a pain planning ahead to make sure I don't end up stuck on a narrow trail where I can't turn around.

1pRlwdg.jpg

OqQI5hM.jpg

No worries, the Airstream is in no danger of leaving and has more than earned her keep. It's perfect for the family and longer road trips. The vacation condo that's makes anywhere feel like home. Have a couple trips over the next month lined up to Big Sur and then Mammoth. My family of 4 + my parents. LX and Airstream make the trip with a family of 6 cozy but possible.

When the kids were younger, the decision was between a vacation home in the mountains, time share, etc. Airstream was what we landed on. As expensive as it was, it's still a reasonable value when compared to some of those other options. With reasonably long lasting equity (compared to most travel trailers that have a useful life of about 10 yrs if that). Fortunately, the family has really taken to it and we use it on the regular about once a month.

To the OPs point, it's not always an Instagram pic, and travel trailers in general aren't suited for everyone. They also come with a long list of potentially significant pet peeves including: storage, maintenance, waste dump, towing/hitching, MPGs. The pros outweigh the cons for me. I had a buddy I camp with that thought it would be for him as well, but after purchasing a new Lance, sold it in less than a year as he realized the peeves didn't offset the pros.
Just saying I do enjoy simpler forms of camping too, so the Airstream doesn't make every trip. Then all this talk of off-road trailers.... hrmmm. :beer:

Hey hey, I only had RTT’s in my sights, trailers are a whole different ball game. I’ve been dreaming of an Opus Trailer ever since I saw one set up so far back on a rough trail that I had to check out the brand bc it had no business being where it was. Campers seem great for people that want to go that route.
I personally like to get far back into dispersed areas and like something that can handle off-road. But I have plenty of friends with airstreams and nice huge trailers and those are nice if campgrounds are your thing.

I have always hated Roof Top Tents, but this video brought up aspects I had never even thought of, good watch

Below is my summery of why I think they are dumb, but the video had additional points that were great too.

I camp 40+ nights a year, and I have never even thought about getting a RTT.
-RTTs are extremely expensive, like ridiculous, plus the roof rack, its crazy. Get airbnb's for a year instead.
-Wind Noise while camping: You'er on top of a truck, instead of using your truck or trees for a wind block. Your extremely exposed to all weather up there.
-Wind Noise while driving
-Reduced gas milage
-Reduced payload- these things weigh a ton, insane to put that weight on your truck
-They are not faster to put up than a regular tent
-How am I suppose to pee in the middle of the night? Do you realize how drunk I get while camping, seems straight dangerous to be that high
-How is my dog or a small child supposed to get up there?
-You can't camp at good spots: you can't go camp by the river or under that shade tree in the grass, nope its the parking lot for you
-You have to level the vehicle-What a pain in the ass
-Exposed: No shade, no tree cover for rain, no wind block
-They look really stupid, most people do not cam enough to have one of these
-No garages
-"Say what you will, I got my wife to go camping now because of a RTT" is not an excuse to own one. Your wife is weak, toughen her up or leave her at home bro.

But most of all, you don't even need a tent 80%+ of the time (in the rockies). If its not raining or bugs, why put up a tent at all? I sleep outside on a cot 90% of the time under the stars.
If you want to step up your sleep game get drawers and sleep in your truck. This is what I do when the weather turns on me. Way more shelter and its great.

Hopefully I never see a 200 with one again. Thanks for your time :)

RTT may not be your or his thing, but that dude in the video is a huge whiner. I’ve got a RTT on our offroad camper and don’t have the issues he does. They are useful like any other piece of camping equipment in some situations. For us, they’re a space saving compact way to quickly get two or more additional, comfortable sleeping spaces, up off the ground. We have had all different sizes of camper, and still have multiple tents that we use in some situations. Every kind of camping arrangement from a sleeping bag on the ground to a giant RV has its pluses and minuses. A RTT has its place in the arsenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom