Roof Rack T30 Stripped - Now what? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was trying to remove the feet on my roof rack. Sprayed with PB Blaster and let it sit. Sprayed again and then tried to remove the bolts. The first head stripped right out. Knowing torx were designed specifically to not do this, I moved on to the 2nd bolt. It too stripped. Now I don't know how to get the out. I have a couple different styles of ez-out/spin-it-out, but I'm very concerned about not knowing which size to use since I've not seen the diameter of the the bolt and don't want to damage the threads. Suggestions or advice?

ADB9A4A9-896B-4F10-9225-65688F32E0BE.jpeg

If you are trying to preserve the rack feet, then use a cut-off wheel to cut a slit in the bolt head and then use a large flathead screwdriver to remove.

If you don't care about the rack feet, cut out the plastic around the bolt, then use a vise-grip to remove bolt.

If you are trying to preserve the rack feet, then use a cut-off wheel to cut a slit in the bolt head and then use a large flathead screwdriver to remove.

If you don't care about the rack feet, cut out the plastic around the bolt, then use a vise-grip to remove bolt.

Trying to preserve as much as I can as I'm not in a place to buy a new rack. I'll try the notch approach in the morning (it's in the driveway and want to consider the neighbors). Not sure if a wheel fit in the opening for the front bolt though. These are the back feet

Cutting a slot did not work. Neither of my ez-out styles worked. I've taken to just trying to drill them out, but I'd like to have one to look at so I know how big it is as well as need the replacements once I get these out. Toyota dealership couldn't find a part number. Anybody happen to know the part number for the bolt holding the feet down on a '98?

The roof rack and flanged shoulder bolts you see were installed at the US port so there's no useful documentation about them. The regular socket-head bolts that were there before the roof rack are Toyota parts, but they have a different head style. If it's just one bolt out of six I'd think you'd be ok replacing it with a regular socket-head screw & washer. Looks like the plastic cover wouldn't interfere.

How about just leave it until you are ready to replace or remove permanently?

Main reason being because I've added a rooftop tent and would feel better, despite all the dives stories of running on just 2 OEM support bars, having the additional support.

Be careful drilling out. I've removed roof rack bolts on other trucks and pushed the captive nut off its perch into the headliner.... have to dig in the headliner to recover the nut and re-secure the nut.

That sounds awfully familiar. When my son ran into this, we solved it by:

1) Trimming the "cup" off of the "foot".
2) Using a SpeedOut screw extractor to drill and remove the stripped T30 bolt
https://www.amazon.com/Ontel-SpeedOut-Damaged-Screw-Extractor/dp/B00IRL3WP4

Afterwards we figured out that the "threaded insert" didn't seem to have threads, so we got to:

3) Drill out the remains of the "threaded insert" to insert a new "rivnut"
4) Paint the raw edges
5) Install a new "rivnut"​

Now that I have one out to see diameter, depth, etc, I'm hoping that will help me feel more confident when drilling. I'll using a similar speed out, but the metal is so soft it just chews it up. I tried @gatormark91 approach with 4 different sizes, but again, the extractor just chewed through.

This was supposed to be a simple project to knock out while I took a break from my HID projector retrofit. On to the next bolt though!

Now that I have one out to see diameter, depth, etc, I'm hoping that will help me feel more confident when drilling. I'll using a similar speed out, but the metal is so soft it just chews it up. I tried @gatormark91 approach with 4 different sizes, but again, the extractor just chewed through.

This was supposed to be a simple project to knock out while I took a break from my HID projector retrofit. On to the next bolt though!

Having a similar issue. Trying to install my Rago awning mounts and 1 of the 8 torx is stripped and I'm not sure which is the best tactic to get it out. What did you end up doing to get the rest of yours out?

Having a similar issue. Trying to install my Rago awning mounts and 1 of the 8 torx is stripped and I'm not sure which is the best tactic to get it out. What did you end up doing to get the rest of yours out?

I used a Dremel to cut a notch across the top, then I put the blade of a flathead screwdriver in the notch and hammered on it until it started to turn. Depending on which bolt is stuck, you may have difficulty getting a Dremel on the head. A fellow mud member was generous enough to send me his spare roofrack feet so I was able to cut my feet down to access the bolt.

The stuck one on mine is the rear-most torx on the driver's side. Got all 7 of 'em no problem except for that one! Arg. Thanks, I was considering the dremel method either allowing me to get a big flathead in there to turn it or hit the notch with the flat head. Either way, thanks, here's hopin!

The stuck one on mine is the rear-most torx on the driver's side. Got all 7 of 'em no problem except for that one! Arg. Thanks, I was considering the dremel method either allowing me to get a big flathead in there to turn it or hit the notch with the flat head. Either way, thanks, here's hopin!
That's a better one than the middle ones that are deep down in the feet. I ended up cutting multiple notches as it started to turn. Good luck!

I thought a set of easy outs (or other such removal tools) was standard in everyone's tool boxes? Maybe that is just me coming from the 60 owner's side and realizing that lots of the bolts will be seized in place.

I thought a set of easy outs (or other such removal tools) was standard in everyone's tool boxes? Maybe that is just me coming from the 60 owner's side and realizing that lots of the bolts will be seized in place.

4th comment from the top:
Cutting a slot did not work. Neither of my ez-out styles worked. I've taken to just trying to drill them out, but I'd like to have one to look at so I know how big it is as well as need the replacements once I get these out. Toyota dealership couldn't find a part number. Anybody happen to know the part number for the bolt holding the feet down on a '98?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom