Roof Cross Bar Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know about the LFDs, they are on backorder. Are there any other similar options?

I know about the LFDs, they are on backorder. Are there any other similar options?
With all due respect, have tried a search? I believe this has been covered on here already by folks looking for straight bars for their roof top tents or aftermarket racks.
Doing a quick search, see if there's anything here that'll help:

Last edited:
I did search. In fact I posted in a couple of those links. None of those are like the LFD bars. They either stick up high or are homemade. I dont have the skills or tools to make my own.

Reactions: r2m
I personally just went with an entire roof rack by Gamiviti (Gamiviti). Love it for it's style and it's very low profile and still have aux lighting.
But it's probably more than you want or need.

Yeah I currently dont even have factory cross bars and it is getting to be an annoyance. I just bought the Ironman Foamcell Pro suspension so I am trying to find something that isnt as expensive as a full roof rack. I may just have to bite the bullet.

What are you wanting to carry? Are you fixed on needing roof bars? Reason I ask is that my wife and I kayak. I tried putting two kayaks on the roof of a lifted Land Cruiser, and then tried to thread straps over kayaks to the center of the rack and back, and...it sucked. I now move my kayaks on a trailer... I'm an old guy, but tall at 6'4". I just can't imagine using the roof of a lifted cruiser/GX for much of anything anymore. Granted, the trailer has other drawbacks depending on destination, parkting, storage, etc. Rack/bars have everyday clearance issues, but can easily go wherever the rig does. Hence my asking what your intended usage was.

Somewhere to attach rod holders for fly fishing. Maybe toss the camping chairs up there. Small stuff mainly, but like the style of the flat bars like LFD.

I regularly use my aftermarket 'OEM-style' cross bars to carry my awning and have bungie-strapped some other items up there from time to time, e.g. recovery boards or camp chairs. They are more versatile than you think and also don't add much more height to your truck compared to other roof-rack options.
For my surf rods, I ended up getting this ski/snow board holder that uses a simple clamp to attach to the aero bars. Easy to put on and take off since I can't get the truck into the garage with them in place. See pics of them in action below.

IMG_6960.jpg

IMG_6958.jpg

Yikes! That's kind of expensive!
All it is, is T-Slot.
At McMaster-Carr (which is not the cheapest option around) you can get 6' lengths for $36.52 each and then just fabricate some mounts.
Maybe just use some stainless steel plumbers strap (McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/plumbers'-straps/) and some T-Slot nuts and bolts to your factory rails and you'll have racks for a little over $100.00 that are every bit as strong as $500.00 ones! This would be project anyone could do, it's not rocket science.

Last edited:
I regularly use my aftermarket 'OEM-style' cross bars to carry my awning and have bungie-strapped some other items up there from time to time, e.g. recovery boards or camp chairs. They are more versatile than you think and also don't add much more height to your truck compared to other roof-rack options.
For my surf rods, I ended up getting this ski/snow board holder that uses a simple clamp to attach to the aero bars. Easy to put on and take off since I can't get the truck into the garage with them in place. See pics of them in action below.

View attachment 3182691

View attachment 3182696
Which aftermarket oem style bars do you have?

Link no workie.
sorry, try this. Many different knockoff options available, this link is just an example. You could also look at the OEM crossbars or used versions available on FB marketplace or elsewhere.

sorry, try this. Many different knockoff options available, this link is just an example. You could also look at the OEM crossbars or used versions available on FB marketplace or elsewhere.
I actually found some used oem bars in perfect condition on FB Marketplace for $100 yesterday. Going to stick with these a while. Thanks to everyone that replied!!

Just wanted to share somewhere on Mud where I landed with crossbars for the gf's 2016 GX460, in hopes that it saves some folks the hassle in the future. I was pretty surprised when I started looking for crossbars at how few options there are. The OEM bars didn't seem great, and are apparently so low that some rooftop boxes, etc. will rub the roof. Yakima and Thule don't really have any great options either.

I eventually landed with the Inno Aero system, and initially ordered from etrailer.com but eventually cancelled that order (they were backordered) and ordered direct from Inno's website.

The Inno bars are high quality, were easy to install, and worked great with a Yakima rooftop box on our recent 15 hour road trip.

Here's exactly what I ordered:
  • XS350 mounts/"stays" (set of 4)
  • TR152 "fit hook" (set of 4)
  • 1x crossbar front XB123 (48")
  • 1x crossbar rear XB130 (51")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom