Builds Roody’s 2018 Lexus GX460 Build, Adventure, and Off the Road Again Podcast (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the story of my 2018 Lexus GX460.

This is what it looked like when I bought it on November 1, 2021:

And this is what it looks like as of this writing:

Backstory: After a slew of 4Runners (2005 V6, 2018 TRD Off Road, 2005 V8) and countless other vehicles, I concluded my vehicular home is in the land of Toyota 4x4s. I set out to buy another 5th gen 4Runner in the fall of 2021 and along the way realized its platform-mate, the Lexus GX460, was less expensive than comparable-age and mileage T4Rs. What sealed the deal was that it has a V8, can tow more than the Toyota, and wasn't a vehicle I had already had. Its Prado lineage and my “Land Cruiser taste on a used 4Runner budget” mindset eventually led me to a CPO 2018 Lexus GX460 with 27,562 miles on it when I bought it on 11/01/2021.

Pictures of it in its new-to-me state, circa November '21:

Now, to the fun stuff. For those that don’t know, I have a side gig as an automotive journalist. This includes writing for a few different car/truck/ATV/UTV websites and hosting an off-road podcast. I’m extremely fortunate and privileged to have written about the Lexus build for one of my outlets, and especially so that some partners got on board with the project. Toyo, Ironman4x4, Wheelpros/Motegi, Warn, Midland, Lightforce, and Pelican all helped with the parts, and I added a few items of my own along the way. Needless to say, I’ve spent countless hours writing about the GX, the build, and the work done to get it to where it is.

Here is the list of what’s on it at the time of this writing:
  • Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension
  • Ironman Premium front bumper
  • Toyo Open Country A/T III tires, 285/70/17, C load rating
  • Motegi MR150 Trailite wheels, 17 x 8.5” w/Gorilla lug nuts
  • Warn VR Evo 12-S winch
  • Midland MXT500 radio and “Ghost” antenna
  • Lightforce Genesis LED driving lights w/CH4x4 OEM knockout switch
  • JW Offroad spare tire carrier w/license plate mount and extended backup camera
  • Pelican toolbox / mount
  • Curt Class 3 hitch receiver
  • Maxpider Kagu floor mats in 1st/2nd rows, OEM Lexus rubber cargo mat
  • Nextbase dash cam w/Dongar rearview mirror integration
  • Vehicle OCD center console organizer
  • Luyed LED reverse lights
  • Phone dash mount w/Ram system

I’ve taken the GX wheeling a few times already and have done many local-ish road trips with it. The fancy badge is still something that bothers me, but the road manners and Lexus comfort that shine through even after the upgrades are a treat. Despite my vehicular ADD, I’ll probably have this thing longer than any of the other Toyota 4x4s that have occupied my personal/proverbial garage. Don’t hold me to that, but I figured a build thread is worth starting if for no other reason than to track the progress and adventures it’s subjected to, and to contribute to the website that I’ve made so many friends on.

Bonus pics of it as it sits now until I get another post done:

52613320396_09bf63c136_b.jpg

Stay tuned… more to come.

This is the story of my 2018 Lexus GX460.

This is what it looked like when I bought it on November 1, 2021:

And this is what it looks like as of this writing:

Backstory: After a slew of 4Runners (2005 V6, 2018 TRD Off Road, 2005 V8) and countless other vehicles, I concluded my vehicular home is in the land of Toyota 4x4s. I set out to buy another 5th gen 4Runner in the fall of 2021 and along the way realized its platform-mate, the Lexus GX460, was less expensive than comparable-age and mileage T4Rs. What sealed the deal was that it has a V8, can tow more than the Toyota, and wasn't a vehicle I had already had. Its Prado lineage and my “Land Cruiser taste on a used 4Runner budget” mindset eventually led me to a CPO 2018 Lexus GX460 with 27,562 miles on it when I bought it on 11/01/2021.

Pictures of it in its new-to-me state, circa November '21:

Now, to the fun stuff. For those that don’t know, I have a side gig as an automotive journalist. This includes writing for a few different car/truck/ATV/UTV websites and hosting an off-road podcast. I’m extremely fortunate and privileged to have written about the Lexus build for one of my outlets, and especially so that some partners got on board with the project. Toyo, Ironman4x4, Wheelpros/Motegi, Warn, Midland, Lightforce, and Pelican all helped with the parts, and I added a few items of my own along the way. Needless to say, I’ve spent countless hours writing about the GX, the build, and the work done to get it to where it is.

Here is the list of what’s on it at the time of this writing:
  • Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension
  • Ironman Premium front bumper
  • Toyo Open Country A/T III tires, 285/70/17, C load rating
  • Motegi MR150 Trailite wheels, 17 x 8.5” w/Gorilla lug nuts
  • Warn VR Evo 12-S winch
  • Midland MXT500 radio and “Ghost” antenna
  • Lightforce Genesis LED driving lights w/CH4x4 OEM knockout switch
  • JW Offroad spare tire carrier w/license plate mount and extended backup camera
  • Pelican toolbox / mount
  • Curt Class 3 hitch receiver
  • Maxpider Kagu floor mats in 1st/2nd rows, OEM Lexus rubber cargo mat
  • Phone dash mount w/Ram system

I’ve taken the GX wheeling a few times already and have done many local-ish road trips with it. The fancy badge is still something that bothers me, but the road manners and Lexus comfort that shine through even after the upgrades are a treat. Despite my vehicular ADD, I’ll probably have this thing longer than any of the other Toyota 4x4s that have occupied my personal/proverbial garage. Don’t hold me to that, but I figured a build thread is worth starting if for no other reason than to track the progress and adventures it’s subjected to, and to contribute to the website that I’ve made so many friends on.

Bonus pics of it as it sits now until I get another post done:

52613320396_09bf63c136_b.jpg

Stay tuned… more to come.
Looks great! I totally understand the LC taste on a used 4Runner budget, well said! I will check out your Podcast and look forward to more write-ups of your GX build.

Looks great! I totally understand the LC taste on a used 4Runner budget, well said! I will check out your Podcast and look forward to more write-ups of your GX build.
Same here. I liked the LC200 but ultimately couldn’t stomach the 50% price difference. It’s a nicer truck, but not by 50%… more like 5%

Thanks! Gotta work with what you have, and sometimes that's strictly financial. The dream is a Heritage Edition 200, maybe someday...
Same here. I liked the LC200 but ultimately couldn’t stomach the 50% price difference. It’s a nicer truck, but not by 50%… more like 5%
Totally get it, and seems like a bunch of us end up in GX460s for just that reason

Everyone loves pictures (myself included), so here's some random shots showing the various upgrades that I've made to the GX thus far.

Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension & Premium front bumper

Toyo Open Country A/T III tires, 285/70/17, C load rating & Motegi MR150 Trailite wheels, 17 x 8.5” w/Gorilla lug nuts

Warn VR Evo 12-S winch, in action

Midland MXT500 radio and “Ghost” antenna

Lightforce Genesis LED driving lights w/CH4x4 OEM knockout switch

JW Offroad spare tire carrier w/license plate mount and extended backup camera

Pelican toolbox (mount not on it in this photo)

Curt Class 3 hitch receiver

Maxpider Kagu floor mats in 1st/2nd rows, OEM Lexus rubber cargo mat

Kaon tailgate table

Dash speaker phone mount w/Ram system

No pictures of these, so take my word for them being on the truck:

And shots of my prior Toyota 4x4s just for fun

Very nice setup! Personally, aside from the price difference of a 200 and GX (which I agree is way up there), it's also the size difference.
A 200 series will not get through all the wheeling we do. Just too large. It's a double edged sword, love the interior space but hate the exterior trail size.

Very nice setup! Personally, aside from the price difference of a 200 and GX (which I agree is way up there), it's also the size difference.
A 200 series will not get through all the wheeling we do. Just too large. It's a double edged sword, love the interior space but hate the exterior trail size.
Funny though, the 200 (LX in this case) really isn't that much bigger.

~8" of length, ~3" in width and ~1" of height. I was thinking it was a bunch until I parked next to one and was a bit blown away how similar they are. The interior use of space however is far better in the 200 series.

~8" of length, ~3" in width and ~1" of height. I was thinking it was a bunch until I parked next to one and was a bit blown away how similar they are. The interior use of space however is far better in the 200 series.
That extra three inches of width wouldn't have allowed me to get through some of the trails I was on this weekend. (photos pending...)
Almost took out my mirrors even with them tucked in.

100% true, and even more so when it comes to weight. A stock 460 is ~5,200 pounds and a similar vintage 200 is ~5,800 or so. The extra weight is negated by the 5.7's extra power, but weight is something that can't be overcome when sliding down a muddy or snowy hill off-road. There's obviously a multitude of other variables at play, but for me the 460's weight (and size) was a happy middleground between the T4R and 200.

200 is cavernous inside compared to the 460. That's one thing I do envy quite a bit, same with the split tailgate.
That extra three inches of width wouldn't have allowed me to get through some of the trails I was on this weekend. (photos pending...)
Almost took out my mirrors even with them tucked in.
Same situation here in the Northeast. "If there's a will there's a way" and all that, but the majority of trails local to me have at least one pinch point where that extra size would be problematic. I'm sure it could be done, but might be the difference between body damage and getting out unscathed.

All that said, I wouldn't hesitate to trade my 460 for a comparably-built 200 if someone was crazy enough to want to do so 🤪

Good point about the weight! That's significant.

The value just isn’t there. There’s a reason why the 150 would sell 10 x more than the 200 on an annual basis.

The extra power is pretty much negated by the extra weight and the extra size is a wash… yeah you can carry more gear but you can’t take it as many places.

Reactions: r2m
Good point about the weight! That's significant.
Weight is the enemy in almost all cases. I've owned 600 pound ATVs and spent long stretched of time with some approaching 1,000 pounds. There's a big difference not only in how they handle/perform, but also in how quickly they go through consumables. Brakes, tires, etc. Not insignificant.
The value just isn’t there. There’s a reason why the 150 would sell 10 x more than the 200 on an annual basis.

The extra power is pretty much negated by the extra weight and the extra size is a wash… yeah you can carry more gear but you can’t take it as many places.
I'd still rather have the 200's 5.7, but the extra weight of the truck plus the even worse MPG means a worse fuel range. Not a big deal for local trips, but I feel like I'm constantly reading about poor range and range-related issues with the 200. Could be overblown for the sake of the internet and people focusing on maybe one minor deficiency, but the 460 does appear to have a longer range. Again, more room doesn't come without a price... the trade-off is just different for everyone, I guess. And with one newborn, we're not yet desperate for the size/room of a 200.

Yeah we haven’t out grown the GX yet… but when we do, it’s 3rd gen sequoia time. I’m liking the idea of one of those lifted on 35s with a bumper more and more.View attachment 3215076
Ditto, the TRD Pro especially looks killer. Curious to see how the aftermarket takes to them and what the reliability looks like down the road, but it's a sweet rig that definitely helps ease some of the sting of the 300 not being sold here as a LC-branded truck.

Yep… as soon as the new one was revealed, I forgot all about the 300.

Yeah we haven’t out grown the GX yet… but when we do, it’s 3rd gen sequoia time. I’m liking the idea of one of those lifted on 35s with a bumper more and more.View attachment 3215076
As awesome as that is, and it is, I do not want that crummy V6 twin turbo mill under the bonnet. No. Thank. You.

As awesome as that is, and it is, I do not want that crummy V6 twin turbo mill under the bonnet. No. Thank. You.
I'd be all for it if it didn't bring with it the extra weight. Twin-turbo torque down low is pretty great, but the new 2023 TRD Pro is 200 lbs heavier than the prior one-- it's 6,150 lbs! Bumper, winch, lift and tires and it's pushing 6,500 lbs. A base 2023 GX460 is 5,126 lbs. Not getting into payloads or anything, but 1,000 lbs is a huge difference that could make for a much more difficult time on the trail, forced induction engine or not...

Reactions: r2m
The ONLY good thing about a heavy vehicle is that it's not as likely to float away when fording deep water...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom