Rolling in Park? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old cars from the USA are routinely shipped over here. Sometimes they are cut into two pieces to avoid the high import taxes on whole cars. Then the chop shops here reassemble them and sell them. It's quite funny to see Cambodians driving around in cars that still have American bumper stickers on them when they have no idea what they mean (like "Texas A&M Mom", "KC BBQ", NRA stickers, and car dealer stickers) It's the wild west here... very hard to get parts unless you scavenge them off of other vehicles, almost no mechanics use any kind of shop manuals, and most of them don't know how to properly diagnose issues so they just start replacing parts until the problem goes away. My mechanic is better than most, but he definitely screwed up this time by missing the center transfer case issue and going for the transmission first. And I let my gloomy assumption that the slipping I was experiencing was probably the transmission clutch discs get in the way of insisting on a more rigorous troubleshooting process. I mean, neither me or the mechanic noticed that my AWD was only working as an RWD? Doh.
In Russia they do the same cut the bodu but not the chasis...so let's say this doesnt affect nothing (almost). Or another option: they separate body from the chasis (no cut) and improt it as spareparts (also taxes are very low in that case) and in Russia they assemble it back (without welding painting) and u get "virgen" FJ from Japan. But you should have documents (if you car stolen/burn whatever) :) the prices for fj80 (1995-97) are about 20k without papers (but they are very fresh looking, is hard to believe in)

In Russia they do the same cut the bodu but not the chasis...so let's say this doesnt affect nothing (almost). Or another option: they separate body from the chasis (no cut) and improt it as spareparts (also taxes are very low in that case) and in Russia they assemble it back (without welding painting) and u get "virgen" FJ from Japan. But you should have documents (if you car stolen/burn whatever) :) the prices for fj80 (1995-97) are about 20k without papers (but they are very fresh looking, is hard to believe in)
On instagram a few accounts I follow seem to do that with lots of japan imports. Thanks for explaining

On instagram a few accounts I follow seem to do that with lots of japan imports. Thanks for explaining
id say 99.99999% of the cars :) no one wants to pay taxes, but everyone wants to have "new" car. now the rules and vigilance are more strict...but who cares :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom