Roll bar or rear bench seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m a machinist I can figure it out I’m just unsure if specter still sells them. I try not to buy from specter unless absolutely have to.

I bought a kit from Man-A-Fre back 1974. That kit included eight U shaped brackets because each vertical used two bolts. Later kits for single bolt style included used just four. Two U brackets same as the early style. Then two larget ones. Using the larger ones in the front would angle the back in and would assume keep the back arm rest over the wheel well. Never try tried this just had a set come with a cruiser bought back in the nineties. Never tried to install it on the cruiser it came with. Having for different sizes certainly not a deal killer just extra work. To my knowledge no makes a kit that addresses moving the front out on the early jump seats. 74 was a long time but seem to remember when I bought the roll bar and kit to move the jump seats it came with two kits. Still have the 74
Man-A-Free catalog somewhere.

I haven't bought anything from Specter in a long time. But for a lot of things willing pay extra to have a finished product and concentrate on those that are only custom made.

I’m a machinist I can figure it out I’m just unsure if specter still sells them. I try not to buy from specter unless absolutely have to.
Good to hear from a fellow machinist. I put myself through college working as a machinist. I have always considered myself primarily as a machinist but with a Mechanical Engineering degree on the side.

I have long jump seats and a roll bar. No spacers.

AC2A557A-AF67-4AC0-BEF2-F1C7AD22C4E5.jpeg

I’m having this same dilemma. I’m really leaning towards the seats, even if no one sits in them. The rig is going to be more of a weekend cruiser than a crawler anyway.
I have one side, need the other, but I can’t remember which 🤣

View attachment 2932652

View attachment 2932652
This is the roll bar that came with my 68' FJ40.
I don't know who made them but as you can see, the double bars and the angle iron that runs along the base makes it impossible to mount jump seats in between the front & rear bar.
But they seem to be pretty stout so I am inclined to use it instead of my jump seats. However, mounting the seats inboard on an adapter plate is still a option unless they would end up knocking people's knees against each other.
I believe I would need to move them in about 2" in on each side.
20220221_162455.jpg

Sounds crazy but, maybe you should source a different roll bar and then you could have both protection and jumps?

just sayin’

devo
I know someone that has several roll bars that I could probably pick up. But I kind of like the one that I have given it's looks and rigidity. But I may go out and see if what he has will fit.

I'm pretty sure it's a smittybuilt bar. I seem to recall the double bar was for running in the sand.

Conferr had a double bar like that. They also sold bench seats to replace the jump seats.

I'm pretty sure it's a smittybuilt bar. I seem to recall the double bar was for running in the sand.
Smittybilt made a “sandbar”. I’ve had 2 from what I could tell and they looked the same as this one. Double bar with flat plate welded between the two bars. Thinking was if you rolled in sand it was more surface area so you wouldn’t just bury the single bar in the sand, crushing and suffocating all occupants and countless beers being lost as well.

I would like a cage for additional safety. But my kids ride in the jumpseats. I also like the wing windows functional on my 1970 and any cage worth installing is likely going to block those. If I were to put in a rear bar, I’d just try to sell/trade my long jumpseats for shorter ones.

When I bought my Smittybuilt roll bar (1974) from Man-A-Fre they also sold that Sand Bar. Still have Man-A-Fre catalog with it. My Smittybuilt has tabs at the top of the tub. Set a small piece of angle iron bolted to the roll bar and to the top of tub. That require drilling holes.

When I bought my Smittybuilt roll bar (1974) from Man-A-Fre they also sold that Sand Bar. Still have Man-A-Fre catalog with it. My Smittybuilt has tabs at the top of the tub. Set a small piece of angle iron bolted to the roll bar and to the top of tub. That require drilling holes.
Thanks, that's good to know. I wonder if it is worth anything.

Thanks, that's good to know. I wonder if it is worth anything.
I gave both of mine away with all the Jumpseat brackets after months of being listed locally.

I gave both of mine away with all the Jumpseat brackets after months of being listed locally.
😂 I have one of these Smittybuilt rollbars avail. if anyone is looking (non-sand plate version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom