Rocker replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to be replacing my rockers soon. Looking for some knowledge about the body structure. If I cut out the whole rocker corner to the floor could the body twist cause door closing issues?
11CBA341-946C-4F79-A4BC-5B8DFF14AD5A.jpeg

This would be the section being cut out. Should the area be braced or can I just remove with out issue?

Yeah, ideally you want to replace what the factory put in.
There's a lot of structure in the rockers at the bottom of all the pillars. Multiple layers, and a lot of shape for rigidity

Thank you for the replies. I do have that dog leg section from another body that I will be replacing it with. I’m just unsure if during the process of replacing that whole corner with the other body section if it could misshape the door opening. Say I cut it out today and it takes a day or so to fit the new piece properly to weld it in would it be ok to not brace or should it definitely be braced? I won’t be driving the truck around with the rocker corner removed.

No bracing is required. If you were cutting and removing the roof or pillars then maybe, but not for floor or rocker work.
You can remove as much of the rocker section as needed.

@family80
Agreed. As long as it's still bolted to the frame, you have a brace.

FWIW, there's a body work FSM in the 80 series resources section called the Collision Repair Manual. Lots of good detail in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom