Rocker Arm 'play' question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I hope I am posting in the correct area. Please let me know if I am in the wrong area.
Over the weekend, while binge watching Project Wrong Way (awesome show @BenjaminCA !) this weekend I got inspired to finally install my cast aluminum valve cover onto my 74' FJ40.
image_67514113.JPG

Since the cover was off, I wanted to check the valve clearances. Most seemed spot on and likely done before I got the truck. I check the exhaust for 0.014" and intake for 0.008".
image_67508993.JPG

After checking each valve, I marked the rocker with nail polish (thanks to my daughters expansive collection).
image_67201793.JPG

I cleaned the new cover I sourced from @swamp-thing and prepped it for install with a new gasket and acorn nut seals from Toyota plus some acorn nuts I sourced from CountryCruisersLLC.
image_67202817.JPG

After install, it all came together nicely! Very happy with all the support from the Land Cruiser community at large! Watching 'Project Wrong Way' support for the FJ60 to get out of Texas inspired me to sign up and become a member for Toyota Land Cruiser Association. While I have been a Toyota Fanboy for many many years and having another FJ40 in the past I have always been a bit out of the group. The support shown in Ih8mud really shows just how good this group of people are. I look forward to getting my truck to an event and meet some people face-face as Covid impact begins to lift.
image_50446337.JPG

So... all this said, my question to the team is:
One of the intake rocker arms had the proper clearance, but it didn't rock/float as easily as the others. I attempted to crank the engine multiple times to verify it should be in the 'relaxed' state... still when I would rock the others when they were not under load I could get a 'click' sound to come from it by hand. For this particular valve, I could move it and ensure clearance... it just didnt seem to float and pivot as freely.

Is there any advice from the crew on if this is an issue or other things to check? I very much appreciate the expertise here and wanted to ask the experts.

Thanks everyone. Again, this forum is awesome.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The rockers use bronze bushings to rotate on the shaft. If you find one tight, first thing would be to pull it and make sure no ‘gunk’, e.g. clean the bushing and shaft. Then inspect the bushing/shaft. It’s hard to do just 1, if you’re gonna pull it apart, clean and inspect all 12.

Keep in mind the bushings are ‘unobtainium’ so if you need to replace, used is your only option.

Generally a good cleaning is all that is required.

Also. Remember you can run the engine at idle with cover off and not splatter oil all about. Check for oil flow out of the two holes per rocker. If you don’t have good flow out of all 24 holes, that’s another reason for disassembly and cleaning.

Thanks @Steamer and @Mark Jennings. I have been putting off changing out the valve stem seals (smoke on decel seemed more to due with PCV valve leak than valve seals), but this make push things over for a reason to get in there again.

Hi all,
I hope I am posting in the correct area. Please let me know if I am in the wrong area.
Over the weekend, while binge watching Project Wrong Way (awesome show @BenjaminCA !) this weekend I got inspired to finally install my cast aluminum valve cover onto my 74' FJ40.
View attachment 2683245
Since the cover was off, I wanted to check the valve clearances. Most seemed spot on and likely done before I got the truck. I check the exhaust for 0.014" and intake for 0.008".
View attachment 2683246

After checking each valve, I marked the rocker with nail polish (thanks to my daughters expansive collection).
View attachment 2683248

I cleaned the new cover I sourced from @swamp-thing and prepped it for install with a new gasket and acorn nut seals from Toyota plus some acorn nuts I sourced from CountryCruisersLLC.
View attachment 2683257

After install, it all came together nicely! Very happy with all the support from the Land Cruiser community at large! Watching 'Project Wrong Way' support for the FJ60 to get out of Texas inspired me to sign up and become a member for Toyota Land Cruiser Association. While I have been a Toyota Fanboy for many many years and having another FJ40 in the past I have always been a bit out of the group. The support shown in Ih8mud really shows just how good this group of people are. I look forward to getting my truck to an event and meet some people face-face as Covid impact begins to lift.
View attachment 2683276

So... all this said, my question to the team is:
One of the intake rocker arms had the proper clearance, but it didn't rock/float as easily as the others. I attempted to crank the engine multiple times to verify it should be in the 'relaxed' state... still when I would rock the others when they were not under load I could get a 'click' sound to come from it by hand. For this particular valve, I could move it and ensure clearance... it just didnt seem to float and pivot as freely.

Is there any advice from the crew on if this is an issue or other things to check? I very much appreciate the expertise here and wanted to ask the experts.

Thanks everyone. Again, this forum is awesome.

Cheers.
Awesome work bro, great to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom