Rock hit front camera. Anyone else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed my front camera lens is cracked on my 2019.

Anyone else have to deal with this?

JJ

Yup, lens cracked, but camera still worked. I have mine removed. The cameras are very pricy.

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
TBH I’m surprised mine was in such good shape with 150k miles on it.

Anyone know if there are aftermarket camera options available that replace the factory ones on the mirrors and front?
Something with a higher resolution would be nice. my 2013 land cruiser's always look little grainy no matter how clean they are.

Anyone know if there are aftermarket camera options available that replace the factory ones on the mirrors and front?
Something with a higher resolution would be nice. my 2013 land cruiser's always look little grainy no matter how clean they are.
Yes* requires new head unit . ..

For the front, you can wire up other cameras. Not sure about the sides. The front camera power wire on my 2013 was 5v (or 6v) so I had to run a "step up" deal to power a 12v camera. It works. It's not "hella awesome" by any means. But it works.

I removed the camera. Problem solved!

If it gets hit by a rock comprehensive insurance should cover it.

Before it breaks, are there any covers or tips on how to avoid such problems?

Find a way to mount a clear piece of 1/4" thick plastic/lexan in front of the camera. Not likely to be aesthetically pleasing, but it'll protect the camera.

Given the user base here and the number of reported problems it seems low percentage.

So because of this thread, I used a cheap screen protector for my kids Fitbit watch. Not sure how strong it is, but maybe prevent small rocks from fracturing the glass lens.

The only thing I don’t know is how this protector react to rain.

CA2A394D-DDB1-403F-AED1-CCED4E7C2A7E.jpeg

D267C250-BBDF-4231-80E7-D6ACE85FE856.jpeg

Last edited:
So because of this thread, I used a cheap screen protector for my kids Garmin watch. Not sure how strong it is, but maybe prevent small rocks from fracturing the glass lens.

That's actually a really good idea. I bought a 3-pack of screen protectors for my Samsung Watch, have 2 left. They are cheap and really durable. Might pop one on and see how it fits.

Want to update... the screen protector mod survived intense car wash (brush) without issue.

81BF1B0C-B8B8-4776-9E08-E015EC41ADF5.jpeg

I went through my Comprehensive insurance. $250 deduct. Toyota quoted $1300 with install and recalibration.
I suggest everyone with a front camera get some type of screen protector.

I tried those spare little watch face protectors for my Samsung Watch. They are too big, too flat, not flexible enough to conform to the curvature of the lens.

I'm thinking a scrap piece of PPF (Paint Protection Film) would be just the ticket. Need to find a detailing shop that is still open, see if they will give me a little piece of scrap.

IMO Paint protection film is definitely way to thin and weak. A dead center hit like mine would definitely get cracked.

BTW, this is what i used: Amazon product ASIN B07K9L24R8
I have the previous version of the link...it was perfect rectangular. The new version is slimmer in the middle (for better charger friendly). So, not sure how the new version would fit over camera lens. It is waterproof...and today's carwash shows that it is indeed waterproof.

It did take me 3 protectors before i got it on just right (above pics). YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom