Rock hit front camera. Anyone else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tbh, I just can't imagine a smartwatch screen protector would be able to stand the test of time though. Cheap and easy? Sure, but I'd expect you'd have to replace it many times over the years.

I would just take it to a local shop and have them wrap it in clear paint protection film. Have them do the head/fog lights and windshield while they're at it too.

Tbh, I just can't imagine a smartwatch screen protector would be able to stand the test of time though. Cheap and easy? Sure, but I'd expect you'd have to replace it many times over the years.

I would just take it to a local shop and have them wrap it in clear paint protection film. Have them do the head/fog lights and windshield while they're at it too.

Yeah, will see how it holds up. As for replacement, it’s cheap enough.

I have no problem with replacing the protector once a year. Aren't F1 drivers still using peel off face visors? Front panel on my welding helmet is also a consumable.

Anything that will break the protective lens will have absolutely no problem evaporating a screen protector.

Sports that use tearoffs do so to restore clear vision during a race despite tire rubber/bugs/dirt. Not provide any level of impact protection. That job is left to the visor itself.

Anything that will break the protective lens will have absolutely no problem evaporating a screen protector.

Sports that use tearoffs do so to restore clear vision during a race despite tire rubber/bugs/dirt. Not provide any level of impact protection. That job is left to the visor itself.

Yup a big chunky rock will destroy the camera on a direct hit at high speed. But Protector may protect the lens from being scratched from smaller debris thrown up by the front car.

Will see how it holds up over time. I rather have it than nothing at all since it does not affect camera quality. No downside. Potential upside could be huge given how expensive the camera module is.

Last edited:
For the front, you can wire up other cameras. Not sure about the sides. The front camera power wire on my 2013 was 5v (or 6v) so I had to run a "step up" deal to power a 12v camera. It works. It's not "hella awesome" by any means. But it works.
Any chance you have a write up of this?

Any chance you have a write up of this?

I had the same bad luck with a similar cracked front camera lens from a rock or similar road hazard. Looks like $800-ish for the part. Is this plug and play or does it really need recalibration?

I can’t find any pre-cut plastic film for any of the cameras. They have some for the inside piano black plastic but nothing exterior.

So because of this thread, I used a cheap screen protector for my kids Fitbit watch. Not sure how strong it is, but maybe prevent small rocks from fracturing the glass lens.

The only thing I don’t know is how this protector react to rain.

View attachment 2261689

View attachment 2261690
Just over a year later and many highway miles…still good this morning. Yes I need a car wash.

EDIT: this is the SAME original protector i put on over a year ago.

260A89F5-FA64-4057-ADC4-0D646A4CF28A.jpeg

Last edited:
When I purchased my used 14 just a few months ago the front camera was cracked and the battery hold down was missing. The dealer fixed it all under their 30day warranty. They sublet all of it out to the local Toyota dealership for repair. I only had the original RO a few seconds after signing before the rude cashier ripped it out of my hands, and while everything on mine was n/c the total on theirs was $3,500.00 US. I have been searching for something to protect the camera since. Thanks for the fitbit protector idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom