RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LX has more projection on the stock reverse lights, which are in the tailgate, so the tailgate support wires can be shortened to compensate. It's only a 1/2" or less clearance needed.
Probably not required for a TLC.

LX has more projection on the stock reverse lights, which are in the tailgate, so the tailgate support wires can be shortened to compensate. It's only a 1/2" or less clearance needed.
Probably not required for a TLC.
Thanks man!

Looks great. Is this beefy enough that you can drop off a rock ledge, land on the wing support & not damage the plastic rear quarter panel? Just back from Cruise Moab 22, and several of the bumpers were doing damage to the area above, that they were supposed to protect (ARB rear wing, for example, pushed up into plastic when coming down rock waterfall or ledges...). Looking to put a steel bumper on back of my 200, still considering the ARB (but with additional wing bracing).
Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

I haven’t seen any damage to an rlc in the thread on body damage, but it might have happened and not been reported.

The wing supports are far forward (right behind the tire) and are a custom L bracket made of 3/16” angle, about 3” x 1.5” (guessing). Secure with a big bolt (9/16”?) and a smaller 3/8” both thru the frame, and a few short bolts to the wing.

The rlc main connection to the tow hitch beam also runs the brackets forward to the tie downs, it shouldn’t have too much rotational moment on it.

Last edited:
My rear RLC held up great at Cruise Moab. I haven't noticed any shifting of the bumper but I don't have the rear bumper cover back on yet. I installed the bumper in a hurry to have it for CM.

Looks great. Is this beefy enough that you can drop off a rock ledge, land on the wing support & not damage the plastic rear quarter panel? Just back from Cruise Moab 22, and several of the bumpers were doing damage to the area above, that they were supposed to protect (ARB rear wing, for example, pushed up into plastic when coming down rock waterfall or ledges...). Looking to put a steel bumper on back of my 200, still considering the ARB (but with additional wing bracing).
Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Ours handles the ledges nicely ;) plenty of scars from years of abuse. that being said there are certainly better options for the rear than arb. They build good stuff however the rear bumpers are certainly not their strong point.
E936BDD9-0675-42C5-8BE9-0BB19AF0CE54.jpeg
D8DD2A30-BD63-4CE8-935E-3FEF1124666E.jpeg

Ours handles the ledges nicely ;) plenty of scars from years of abuse. that being said there are certainly better options for the rear than arb. They build good stuff however the rear bumpers are certainly not their strong point. View attachment 3009564View attachment 3009565
Thanks for the update. I am sad I didn't get a chance to chat with you @ CM2022.

Installed today, finally. Well, mostly installed, a few issues to deal with. Took me about 9 hours to get this far, though I did it myself so jacking up the bumper little by little and supporting either wing took a lot longer than if I’d had buddies available to help.

Question 1: do the dust caps for the spindles actually fit in all the way, I smacked the crap out of mine with a rubber mallet but they only go in about half way.

F228CEF4-DE00-4C50-A6F7-48D4BE4EC56F.jpeg

The kit was missing the 4x 4” long, 3/8 bolts required to mount the wing supports to the frame. Thankfully Ace is about 5 minutes away.

My jerry carrier was contacting the tailgate even when slide all the way forward. Ultimately I just drilled new holes in the basket, which was easy enough.

61F47714-3EC5-4731-A23A-4DD9D601C883.jpeg

My tailgate hits the bumper when fully open. I need to shorten the cables like others have done. Anyone who has done it please let me know what’s involved.

I’ve also noticed my tailgate hits the jerry mount when the swingout is in the locked position. I will either epoxy the hole and drill another a bit further along the arc, or I’ll grind about 1/2” off the lower jerry mount support. For now I can just unlock the open locking mechanism and push the tailgate further open

Need to move the camera, my basket is directly in the way so there no view at all. Hoping to do that Saturday, along with running a light for the license plate. I’ll take recommendations on license plate lights if anyone has any experience. Planning to relo the camera to the underside of the basket but I’m open to better locations if anyone has suggestions there as well

Waiting to cut the body plastic until I’m sure everything is done. I did add a spacer (large nut) between the wing supports and the bumper as even with the bumper jacked all the way up into the frame supports mine looked not quite level.

9E54E73E-4D6F-4C75-BDE0-2FB2CDE71035.jpeg

I need to find some decent spline drive lug nuts for the spare as well. Annoyingly I bought some locking ones (hoping to deter thieves) which are the right tapered design but they are wider than my spline drive lugs and won’t actually seat. I put some bolts behind the tire to space it out for now so they’d work but that’s a total hack.

Will paint the parking sensors this weekend as well. Parking sensors and Roadvision lights work. w00t!

I still need to figure out what I want to do about the trailer plug. For now mine is still down low but I won’t want to keep it there during the LCDC as it’s far less protected when the spare and recovery point are gone. I may drill a hole in the bumper but I don’t have a large enough step bit right now.

I think that’s my punch list.
EC5F700E-044A-49AE-BDC6-12CD3FBD7E3A.jpeg

I had the same problem with the dust cap. It turns out you're suppose to hit the edge of the cap with a screwdriver or similar to tap them in. That worked like a charm!

Installed today, finally. Well, mostly installed, a few issues to deal with. Took me about 9 hours to get this far, though I did it myself so jacking up the bumper little by little and supporting either wing took a lot longer than if I’d had buddies available to help.

Question 1: do the dust caps for the spindles actually fit in all the way, I smacked the crap out of mine with a rubber mallet but they only go in about half way.

View attachment 3022287

The kit was missing the 4x 4” long, 3/8 bolts required to mount the wing supports to the frame. Thankfully Ace is about 5 minutes away.

My jerry carrier was contacting the tailgate even when slide all the way forward. Ultimately I just drilled new holes in the basket, which was easy enough.

View attachment 3022290

My tailgate hits the bumper when fully open. I need to shorten the cables like others have done. Anyone who has done it please let me know what’s involved.

I’ve also noticed my tailgate hits the jerry mount when the swingout is in the locked position. I will either epoxy the hole and drill another a bit further along the arc, or I’ll grind about 1/2” off the lower jerry mount support. For now I can just unlock the open locking mechanism and push the tailgate further open

Need to move the camera, my basket is directly in the way so there no view at all. Hoping to do that Saturday, along with running a light for the license plate. I’ll take recommendations on license plate lights if anyone has any experience. Planning to relo the camera to the underside of the basket but I’m open to better locations if anyone has suggestions there as well

Waiting to cut the body plastic until I’m sure everything is done. I did add a spacer (large nut) between the wing supports and the bumper as even with the bumper jacked all the way up into the frame supports mine looked not quite level.

View attachment 3022299

I need to find some decent spline drive lug nuts for the spare as well. Annoyingly I bought some locking ones (hoping to deter thieves) which are the right tapered design but they are wider than my spline drive lugs and won’t actually seat. I put some bolts behind the tire to space it out for now so they’d work but that’s a total hack.

Will paint the parking sensors this weekend as well. Parking sensors and Roadvision lights work. w00t!

I still need to figure out what I want to do about the trailer plug. For now mine is still down low but I won’t want to keep it there during the LCDC as it’s far less protected when the spare and recovery point are gone. I may drill a hole in the bumper but I don’t have a large enough step bit right now.

I think that’s my punch list.
View attachment 3022294
Stoked to see this at LCDC 🤘🏻

I got some appropriate gauge wire cable at the local marine supply. They also had the little metal crimps to make the loops. It was about $5 for enough to do the job twice. The rest is figuring out how short to make the new cables, and cutting it successfully

here’s my third try at a license plate light. It’s working much better than the first two

I made a custom extension and added a new trailer socket. Used one of these for the hole in the bumper, worked wel on a basic cordless drill on low speed with the clutch turned way down.. Check your socket and get the size you need

Guess I didn’t post a pic in this thread of the trailer socket.
Just ignore that rust bloom, I’ll deal with it after the summer.

I ran the car trailer feed to a trailer breakout box, and the. Use that box for the license light, reverse light, combination lights off the two2three, and the trailer socket

On final install I didn’t used the spacers. Will add a final pic in a bit

E4DADAC9-0E5C-48B8-B567-E5EF610BCF2B.jpeg

41896826-2E4E-425F-97EC-2996C353974F.jpeg

E654D5FA-160E-42A0-BFFC-99639CA3516F.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks @grinchy

One more question for you guys. When you put the spindles together for the arms, what’s the order? Mine has a bearing on the bottom and the rubber seal above the top bearing but I’m now thinking the rubber should’ve been on the bottom.

Tried out my parking sensors last night and I get a proximity warning in the center of the rear. I'm assuming they are picking up the spare tire. Anyone else experience this? I need to pull the swingarms this weekend anyway so I'll try it after I pull the spare just to confirm.

Note that all 4 of my plastic retaining rings are flat. I do have two which are slightly angled that I could try, though I'm not sure if the angle will be sufficient to avoid detecting the tire... nor am I sure if angling it downward will cause it to always detect the road.

Any experience or thoughts? I really don't use the sensors so it's not a huge deal, I only turned them on because right now my camera is directly behind the basket so it's unusable, and there's a fence across my alley so I have kind of a tight area to pull out of my garage.

1654261704668.png

Tried out my parking sensors last night and I get a proximity warning in the center of the rear. I'm assuming they are picking up the spare tire. Anyone else experience this? I need to pull the swingarms this weekend anyway so I'll try it after I pull the spare just to confirm.

Note that all 4 of my plastic retaining rings are flat. I do have two which are slightly angled that I could try, though I'm not sure if the angle will be sufficient to avoid detecting the tire... nor am I sure if angling it downward will cause it to always detect the road.

Any experience or thoughts? I really don't use the sensors so it's not a huge deal, I only turned them on because right now my camera is directly behind the basket so it's unusable, and there's a fence across my alley so I have kind of a tight area to pull out of my garage.

View attachment 3024045
Is it the tire or the basket causing the beeps? I haven't relocated my rear camera so I see all tire and always wondered if it where the camera and not sensors.

Is it the tire or the basket causing the beeps? I haven't relocated my rear camera so I see all tire and always wondered if it where the camera and not sensors.
I assume the tire, as if you look at the photo it sits much lower than the basket. I'll confirm when I temporarily remove the spare tomorrow.

I assume the tire, as if you look at the photo it sits much lower than the basket. I'll confirm when I temporarily remove the spare tomorrow.
I have trail tailors bumper, however when I didn't have the spare mounted (nothing obstructed the camera) I had no sensors going off, after I mounted my spare to the swing out I get the sensors going off, but I don't know if it's the sensors or camera obstruction.

I'm sure it's not the camera. At least on the 2008-2015 the camera is only 4 pins - 2 handle video and 2 handle power to the camera. There's no notion of proximity and there's nothing in the camera that ties to the parking assist ECM.

I'm sure it's not the camera. At least on the 2008-2015 the camera is only 4 pins - 2 handle video and 2 handle power to the camera. There's no notion of proximity and there's nothing in the camera that ties to the parking assist ECM.
My tire is high and tight, I guess the top of the sensor could be picking up the bottom edge of the tire. I need to relocate the camera for my wife it bothers her that you see tire only.

My tire is high and tight, I guess the top of the sensor could be picking up the bottom edge of the tire. I need to relocate the camera for my wife it bothers her that you see tire only.
I assume that's what's happening here. Or at least the backup warning on the nav system shows this area as the red/white stripe pattern, which means "imminent impact". Since the basket is so high on the left, I'm guessing it's catching the bottom of the tire.

1654278710522.png

BTW I was planning to move my camera this weekend but then I realized it's going to be a PITA to mount it where I think I want it without trying to create a custom mounting bracket. So I'm going to try a generic backup camera this weekend, with a 6V-to-12V converter. That will give me virtually infinite mounting options, and at least on the 2008-2015 the factory camera pretty much sucks anyway. I'll let the community know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom