RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Side note, upgrading to 2701 front / 2724 rear springs after adding the bumpers was definitely beneficial. After it’s all settled, just wish the front was a little higher. Not horrible, just me being nit picky. Had I to do the suspension again, I would have done one of the higher end coil overs instead of the base OME. Not only for the front height, but for the ride quality.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda; live and learn. Now the marginal benefits are not worth the marginal costs. OME base suspension does the trick just fine.

I searched the internet far and wide for those. If you know what they're called, you would be a giant step ahead. All I could find were people looking for the same thing.

My ARB front bumper came with a camera relocate kit. I opened it and thought "awesome a camera extension cord complete with the Toyota adapters." I got to that part and you actually have to pull the pins out of the Toyota adapter and plug them into ARB's adapter. Apparently ARB couldn't find those connections either.

I've been reading through this thread as I contemplate adding a rear bumper.

I saw your comment and didn't see any real solutions posted. I recently went far down this rabbit hole while installing the step lights on my Slee LX sliders. One of the forum members DaveInDenver on Tacoma World helped me a ton and he was able to point me at www.corsa-technic.com apparently Yazaki is one of the OEMs for many of the Toyota waterproof connectors and specifically the 090II series matches much of my '10 LX. I was able to find some detailed electrical manuals from Toyota on their different connectors if anyone is interested let me know.

In any case, if you're looking to do detachable connectors, you can fairly easily build your own. Yazaki 090II 2.3II Motorsport Connectors - Corsa Technic

James re-worked my 3 can jerry basket. The original was a 2 piece design, and it was set too close to the tailgate. He now re-designed it as a 3 piece design, set back a bit over 1" and it's just perfect. Just gotta say again it was a real pleasure working with James on this. I think peoples true customer service shines when you actually run into issues. His patience, ideas, and friendliness to fix was a rare customer service experience. Especially since when you go custom with the design like i did, it's not surprising when something doesn't quite fit right with no test truck for the install. Here are some pics of the new design.

View attachment 2133628

View attachment 2133630

View attachment 2133631

I’ve been chatting with James about building me a rear bumper. Do you think there is a way to install the bumper so you can make the swing arm easily removable? I guess it would involve trimming more of the molding so you can access the top nut on the swing arm. The Slee bumper on my 100 series takes less than 5 minutes to remove or put back on. I usually only use the swing arm during trips and store it when running around town with the kids.

The side plastic rear quarter panel section pops off with little effort when using a trim tool. Once thats outta the way the swingout arm is fully exposed.

I’ve been chatting with James about building me a rear bumper. Do you think there is a way to install the bumper so you can make the swing arm easily removable? I guess it would involve trimming more of the molding so you can access the top nut on the swing arm. The Slee bumper on my 100 series takes less than 5 minutes to remove or put back on. I usually only use the swing arm during trips and store it when running around town with the kids.
The plastic trim comes off very easy. After all the trimming it's a very small bit of plastic left so very easy to handle also. I originally had the same concept that I'd just put the swing arms on for trips, but take off for driving around town. I even made some nifty spindle cover outta hardware store pvc tube and caps to keep clean and rust free when the arms were off. I could probably get 1 arm off in 5 minutes. The part where I lost interest was dealing with the mess of grease each time putting off and on. Also the other turn off was what to do with the spare. Ride around town with no spare? Take up half my cargo area with the spare? Or having to put back under the truck which is not a fun process. So, I lost interest and just ride around with both arms at all times. Once I got used to it, it is fine. 100% will admit a tailgate with no swingouts is a pleasure to open and close. But the extra 11 ish seconds (timed it before) it takes to open the arms far outweighs the added benefits of what I can carry with the arms.....IMHO

The plastic trim comes off very easy. After all the trimming it's a very small bit of plastic left so very easy to handle also. I originally had the same concept that I'd just put the swing arms on for trips, but take off for driving around town. I even made some nifty spindle cover outta hardware store pvc tube and caps to keep clean and rust free when the arms were off. I could probably get 1 arm off in 5 minutes. The part where I lost interest was dealing with the mess of grease each time putting off and on. Also the other turn off was what to do with the spare. Ride around town with no spare? Take up half my cargo area with the spare? Or having to put back under the truck which is not a fun process. So, I lost interest and just ride around with both arms at all times. Once I got used to it, it is fine. 100% will admit a tailgate with no swingouts is a pleasure to open and close. But the extra 11 ish seconds (timed it before) it takes to open the arms far outweighs the added benefits of what I can carry with the arms.....IMHO

This is good feedback. I'm in the same situation. I haven't installed my swingout yet, but I did make a nice cover for the spindle. I guess the biggest issue for me with the swingout is that I occasionally have been carrying long lumber and sheet goods (plywood, sheetrock), which means I can't close the upper gate. Which means you can't latch the swingout. Can't drive like that.

I really want a second tank, so the spare is an issue. I was just thinking to leave the spare off/out when around town, but put it back on with the swingout when on longer trips.

Also have to solve what to do about the camera and license plate. Was wondering if there was an aftermarket camera that could go on the swingout, yet it would talk nicely to the factory screen? Leave the OEM camera where it is, but do some sort of wiring hack where I could unplug it and plug in the other one.

This is good feedback. I'm in the same situation. I haven't installed my swingout yet, but I did make a nice cover for the spindle. I guess the biggest issue for me with the swingout is that I occasionally have been carrying long lumber and sheet goods (plywood, sheetrock), which means I can't close the upper gate. Which means you can't latch the swingout. Can't drive like that.

I really want a second tank, so the spare is an issue. I was just thinking to leave the spare off/out when around town, but put it back on with the swingout when on longer trips.

Also have to solve what to do about the camera and license plate. Was wondering if there was an aftermarket camera that could go on the swingout, yet it would talk nicely to the factory screen? Leave the OEM camera where it is, but do some sort of wiring hack where I could unplug it and plug in the other one.

Yeah the upgrades all have a give and take for sure. Aux fuel tank def one of those, change 1 thing, leads to needing to change more. Every once in a while i get jealous of people happy with a very capable still stock cruiser. But what fun would that be. I can latch my swingouts with the upper hatch open. Would a sheet of drywall not fit resting on the spare?

IMG_7230.jpg

And thats where a roof rack comes in handy

I can latch my swingouts with the upper hatch open. Would a sheet of drywall not fit resting on the spare?

I suppose it's possible. The last 2 lumber trips involved 16' lengths of trim and cedar siding. That would be pretty sketchy.

And thats where a roof rack comes in handy

Well, that may happen, but it will have to wait for the suspension upgrade. Then I have to see what will fit into the garage with a 7' door. I know this is in other threads, but is the Frontline rack the same height as the OEM rails?

Well, that may happen, but it will have to wait for the suspension upgrade. Then I have to see what will fit into the garage with a 7' door. I know this is in other threads, but is the Frontline rack the same height as the OEM rails?
Check out that new ARB base rack. I don't know for certain, but visually it looks much lower than the Frontrunner. It's on my todo list at some point

I suppose it's possible. The last 2 lumber trips involved 16' lengths of trim and cedar siding. That would be pretty sketchy.

Ill measure my 200, floor to top of frontrunner rack, when i get back home. Ill post it so you have a real # to consider in your math.

Yes a 6v camera will work. I got one via AliExpress on the slow boat. It was around $10. I’m using the stock camera moved to the spare tire, but had in mind I’d put the stock back in stock location and put the other on the tire, and just put a switch on the hatch to change from one to the other. All this never got much momentum as I ended up not caring too much re: the swing out. It’s just not a big deal with one swing out.

Ill measure my 200, floor to top of frontrunner rack, when i get back home. Ill post it so you have a real # to consider in your math.
84.25” from level ground to top of frontrunner roof rack.

84.25” from level ground to top of frontrunner roof rack.

OK, thanks, I'll check to see how much actual height I have with my garage door.

Greetings, I just pulled the trigger on this rear bumper. For those have you that powder coated, what was the cost? For those of you that painted it yourself, how is it holding up ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom