RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's gonna look pretty funny on the back of that i3. ;)

Seriously, is that a bumper for a 200? Does it just attach to the sheet metal?

That is our bumper and no it does not attach to the sheet metal.

Here are a couple of photo's showing the structure that goes onto the frame. I would bet we probably have one of the strongest attachment systems out there.

sok1326-12.jpg

sok1326-13-1.jpg

The AHC reservoir bracket is nice. I had to build that part from scratch.

That is our bumper and no it does not attach to the sheet metal.

Here are a couple of photo's showing the structure that goes onto the frame. I would bet we probably have one of the strongest attachment systems out there.

sok1326-12.jpg

sok1326-13-1.jpg
I'll bet yours fits as intended too.;)

I read through this thread and really like this design. Has anyone ordered the swingout as just a receiver hitch to plug a bike rack into instead of a spare tire carrier? Similar like this Rak Attack swing out I run on my 100. I stuffed the spare back underneath the truck and removed the spare carrier so I don’t have to deal with 2 swings wing outs.
B19075C4-5EB8-49DC-B2C2-99AE9BA06C77.jpeg

I read through this thread and really like this design. Has anyone ordered the swingout as just a receiver hitch to plug a bike rack into instead of a spare tire carrier? Similar like this Rak Attack swing out I run on my 100. I stuffed the spare back underneath the truck and removed the spare carrier so I don’t have to deal with 2 swings wing outs.View attachment 2286763
Seems like this wouldn’t create too much of an issue for James. Call and talk it out.

After reading through this thread, over and over, anything I should be specific about, any little things? I saw a swing out lock, and the fillers for the gaps....anything else people would recommend or pitch in? Thanks

After reading through this thread, over and over, anything I should be specific about, any little things? I saw a swing out lock, and the fillers for the gaps....anything else people would recommend or pitch in? Thanks
I worked with James on a rotopax solution. What I got wasn't really very workable. I shipped him a couple pax and a couple mounts, but it just didn't work. I then spent some time trying to fix it myself, and that hasn't really come together either. It wasn't important enough to warrant shipping back and forth, and I will say overall I am still satisfied with the bumper, the experience, the cost etc. I just wouldn't recommend going with the rotopax solution. Get the tried and true jerry mount, or the recently designed two arm instead.

If you're looking to pioneer something, have you seen the AEV Fuel Caddy? That could be easily adapted to the swingarm at design time, provide 10 gallons or fuel, and not really increase the footprint. If I had a bit more experience at the time I ordered the bumper I would definitely have gone for a customization using that part instead.

The other option I see is the Titan Trail Trekker. Neither it or the AEV come in 5x150, but I think that making the adapter plate is way easier than rotomolding the plastic container.

That's gonna look pretty funny on the back of that i3. ;)

Seriously, is that a bumper for a 200? Does it just attach to the sheet metal?

@sleeoffroad bumper...and believe me, it’s not connected via sheet metal. ;) Thing is crazy-strong, and my original sheet metal literally survived because of the strength of this bumper.

I read through this thread and really like this design. Has anyone ordered the swingout as just a receiver hitch to plug a bike rack into instead of a spare tire carrier? Similar like this Rak Attack swing out I run on my 100. I stuffed the spare back underneath the truck and removed the spare carrier so I don’t have to deal with 2 swings wing outs.View attachment 2286763

I’ve been trying to figure a way for a bike swing out solution for ages... One that doesn’t rely on the OEM receiver...

I’ve been trying to figure a way for a bike swing out solution for ages... One that doesn’t rely on the OEM receiver...

I did an extensive search and all that I could find to work on the swing out was this Saris. It is discontinued, but can still be found online and the wheel carriers for 3"+ width tires are available on Amazon to swap out too.
Saris Freedom Spare Tire mount
My problem was that I wanted to carry up to 4 bikes, so I spent the big bucks and got this Lolo Rack.
Lolo Rack
It fully swings down to allow the tire swingout to clear and the tailgate to drop. It is sturdy, but heavy as crap, plus I had to put a hitch extension on to clear the width of my spare tire. (And uses OEM receiver)

If you only need 2 bikes and are willing to leave the rack on all the time, then the Saris will work and it is relatively cheap. For me, my backup camera was already in the spot for the Saris and I didn't want to ride around with it on the whole time.

I did an extensive search and all that I could find to work on the swing out was this Saris. It is discontinued, but can still be found online and the wheel carriers for 3"+ width tires are available on Amazon to swap out too.
Saris Freedom Spare Tire mount
My problem was that I wanted to carry up to 4 bikes, so I spent the big bucks and got this Lolo Rack.
Lolo Rack
It fully swings down to allow the tire swingout to clear and the tailgate to drop. It is sturdy, but heavy as crap, plus I had to put a hitch extension on to clear the width of my spare tire. (And uses OEM receiver)

If you only need 2 bikes and are willing to leave the rack on all the time, then the Saris will work and it is relatively cheap. For me, my backup camera was already in the spot for the Saris and I didn't want to ride around with it on the whole time.

Thanks.
I’ve actually been toying with a very light, single bike solution of my own...but I’m not a fabricator for the more substantial pieces... Some bending too. If I lived near @TRAIL TAILOR he could have banged it out by now... :-/

Thanks.
I’ve actually been toying with a very light, single bike solution of my own...but I’m not a fabricator for the more substantial pieces... Some bending too. If I lived near @TRAIL TAILOR he could have banged it out by now... :-/

Look at the Lolo Rack site. They sell the hangers for you to make your own rack, or hang on the wall. I looked into fabbing up a vertical hitch mount on the swing out, behind the tire to create my own removable rack. But again, I wanted it for 4 bikes and was afraid of the added stress and weight to the swing out.

The Lolo handle bar mounting is great.

I talked to Amory at Slee about this when I was out there a few months ago. He said they are working on few different modular options for mounting different items on their 200 bumpers. One being a bike rack. It sounded like it was a work in progress and going to take some time. But in the works none the less.

I talked to Amory at Slee about this when I was out there a few months ago. He said they are working on few different modular options for mounting different items on their 200 bumpers. One being a bike rack. It sounded like it was a work in progress and going to take some time. But in the works none the less.

Actuallythought about mentioning my idea to Christo, because it’s specific to the slee bumper.

RLC is big time now

Sure. Call up the fab and talk about what you’d like to do.

Ended up running Rigid cubes out back. They fit perfectly.

The gamiviti spare tire attachment has been great for running the hi-lift jack.

For the last couple of months, I’ve been running with the swing arm off.

After the maiden voyage to Camino del Diablo, fully loaded with both jerry cans, the stt pro spare, the hi-lift, and the arb trash bag, I ran into a problem. The pivot point for the swing out tweaked a degree or two. Even with both jerry can attachments removed, the swing arm no longer floats above the bumper when closed.

I resolved to take it to a local welder known in the Tacoma space. Current plan is to change out to two swing arms, cut out the undersized bearing, install overkill 2k lb bearings on both sides, secure them top and bottom, add struts instead of a pin to keep them open, and add a pad at the closure attachment points for the swing arms to rest when closed.

When the shell is off, we may also better box the interior of the shell and re-imagine the shell attachments at the wings. Then, will need to re-apply the powder coat, re-install and should be good to go. (Will powder coat the rock warriors sitting in the garage to match at the same time.)

Although the new overkill bearings should handle the single swing arm just fine, I’ve realized that having the tire in the center blocks the camera pretty good. Shifting the tire to the passenger side should make the camera more usable. I’m not a fan of doing a camera relocation due to the spare tire attachments I run.

James at RLC has been super supportive and helpful.

He told me that I have the privilege of just being the second person of the dozens he’s made to have issues with his bumper. (Camino wasn’t that crazy of an off-road expedition, but did get some speed up on the washboard roads over a few days.)

I’d just recommend James use a beefier bearing, secured top and bottom, add a strut to keep the swing arm in the open position, and better box the shell. Still the best bumper for the money, imho, even w the extra mods am needing to do.

Btw, the mods are taking awhile to actually do, bc the bearings are made custom locally by a semi-retired guy. Will report back when we move from planning to execution.

Additional bumper mod ideas welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom