RLC rear tire carrier / swing out / jerry can / custom fab bumper (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are some shots w the plastic trimmed...

C50B7A3B-FE26-4144-91E4-AA2891332945.jpeg

B1793C99-B7CD-4003-8D2A-D999C9ACFDA2.jpeg

Couldn’t help myself. Added just one washer to each flank side - between the bumper and the wing bracket. Doing so leveled out the rear bumper, then I trimmed the plastic just a little more to make it even.

Doubt the difference will come through in pictures, but consider it a couple hours well spent.

James re-worked my 3 can jerry basket. The original was a 2 piece design, and it was set too close to the tailgate. He now re-designed it as a 3 piece design, set back a bit over 1" and it's just perfect. Just gotta say again it was a real pleasure working with James on this. I think peoples true customer service shines when you actually run into issues. His patience, ideas, and friendliness to fix was a rare customer service experience. Especially since when you go custom with the design like i did, it's not surprising when something doesn't quite fit right with no test truck for the install. Here are some pics of the new design.

IMG_1399.jpeg

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

Interesting change to the lower lights. Was that your request? Or all they all like that now?

James re-worked my 3 can jerry basket. The original was a 2 piece design, and it was set too close to the tailgate. He now re-designed it as a 3 piece design, set back a bit over 1" and it's just perfect. Just gotta say again it was a real pleasure working with James on this. I think peoples true customer service shines when you actually run into issues. His patience, ideas, and friendliness to fix was a rare customer service experience. Especially since when you go custom with the design like i did, it's not surprising when something doesn't quite fit right with no test truck for the install. Here are some pics of the new design.

View attachment 2133628

View attachment 2133629

View attachment 2133630

View attachment 2133631
Nice design changes - good work! are you going to rework the rear camera or has that already been addressed?

Interesting change to the lower lights. Was that your request? Or all they all like that now?
the lower lights are Roadvision 3-way. Same as Kaymar and Trail Tailor used. I got them from Jason @TRAIL TAILOR . Jason shipped the lights to RLC, and James cut the holes and made a bracket for them. I had to do 3-way lights because of my off-center tire blocks my side lights. The regular bumper James sells has the center tire so they only need the reverse lights.

Nice design changes - good work! are you going to rework the rear camera or has that already been addressed?
Thanks! Yeah, reverse camera is on my to-do list. Still not sure the best place to mount it. I've had just the single swing arm with the tire on the past few months, and with that the reverse camera was good enough. Now with the jerry cans though it's only a little strip of camera angle.

If you’re looking for a solution to get ideas from i detailed in my build thread. Good luck

If you’re looking for a solution to get ideas from i detailed in my build thread. Good luck
Thanks I did see your build thread a while back. Can’t remember, Did you end up putting the camera in the center of the spare? Not sure if it’d be weird with my offset dual swing. Still haven’t decided where the best place for the license plate is, so I’ve just had that zip tied to my spare with no light. So many projects so little time :)

Yes mine is in the center of the spare tire. Having it offset is better than not for safety. License plate was move to use the same bolt hole as the jerry can basket.

I dont run the jerry can basket 99% of the time so the plate is visible and when the basket is on ive not had an issue thus far even though the license plate is tucked / kida of hidden

No. Never been hassled over it either

With IOS 13 the wifi camera I had on the bumper quit working. I had the side panel off to do the subwoofer so I went ahead and killed a few evenings moving the OEM camera.

I have ordered a 6v camera from Aliexpress, but it is somewhere in shipping, so I moved the stock and will put that one in the back door, if it ever shows up.

Anyway, built another galvanized shingle mount which goes up off the spare lugs. Hardest part of the job was running the 7 conductor wire thru the back door to headliner grommet. Use lube. For the 2009 only need four wires for the camera, I used the 7 conductor wire so I could put stuff in the rear door if I want to. I'm considering a room light. This way I won't have to go thru that grommet again.

I put connectors at the camera end and in the back door so I can just plug it in at either location if I need to pull the swingarm for whatever reason.

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_3345.JPG

IMG_8192.JPG

IMG_5286.JPG

With IOS 13 the wifi camera I had on the bumper quit working. I had the side panel off to do the subwoofer so I went ahead and killed a few evenings moving the OEM camera.

I have ordered a 6v camera from Aliexpress, but it is somewhere in shipping, so I moved the stock and will put that one in the back door, if it ever shows up.

Anyway, built another galvanized shingle mount which goes up off the spare lugs. Hardest part of the job was running the 7 conductor wire thru the back door to headliner grommet. Use lube. For the 2009 only need four wires for the camera, I used the 7 conductor wire so I could put stuff in the rear door if I want to. I'm considering a room light. This way I won't have to go thru that grommet again.

I put connectors at the camera end and in the back door so I can just plug it in at either location if I need to pull the swingarm for whatever reason.

View attachment 2269055

View attachment 2269056

View attachment 2269058

View attachment 2269059
Good solution, I did the same then realized when changing to RW rims the spokes don't line up with stock so I mounted below the tire. Field of view was the same.

Not an RLC bumper. Borrowed this image from a thread dedicated to a rear bumper manufactured in Colorado. I found this 'inside' view particularly interesting, especially considering the MAP difference in the parts. Pretty happy to have an RLC.

slee1.jpg

That's gonna look pretty funny on the back of that i3. ;)

Seriously, is that a bumper for a 200? Does it just attach to the sheet metal?

That's gonna look pretty funny on the back of that i3. ;)

Seriously, is that a bumper for a 200? Does it just attach to the sheet metal?
It's a 200 bumper. And I assume there are some frame brackets not pictured. It's the internal structure and shape that is interesting, to compare to our RLCs.

It's a 200 bumper. And I assume there are some frame brackets not pictured. It's the internal structure and shape that is interesting, to compare to our RLCs.

Check out:

and

in particular, post #339

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom