Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (3 Viewers)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EVs are so incredibly efficient I think it will be a while before they can handle >100 miles of towing especially with larger boats and RVs. Slow speeds, off road, pretty much everything else they are more efficient, towing not so much.

You can’t overcome physics. The amount of drag (additional forces) that need to be overcome pulling a trailer at a given speed is the same regardless of what is pulling it, f150 lightning, R1T, CyberTruck, ICE LX570,…. The difference is that with EVs being extremely efficient (for comparison my LX570 uses 2.8 kWh/mi for its “rated mpg”) you really notice the extra force and gas tanks have huge energy capacity, ~850 kWh in a gas truck, ~1200 kWh in a diesel.

Just basic rough math pulling my camper (frontal profile 8’x8’, cd 0.65, -40% (for the truck profile), with 0.015 rolling resistance) on a flat surface @55 mph with still air requires an additional 1-1.2 kw of energy. At @70 mph more like 1.5-1.8 kw.

Same math with the boat I had (26’ Duckworth) looking at additional ~0.9-1kw @55 mph.

So with the camper if baseline “rated” is ~400 Wh/mi then looking at 1.5 kw/mi @55 mph and >2 kw/mi @70 mph. Even with a 200 kw battery only going to go ~100-130 miles max.

We don’t need more efficient EV trucks we need more energy dense batteries
Yeah that’s not towing my Hewescraft very far.

I just watched Doug Demuro's review of the R1S and just put down an order. Not going to get rid of the LCs, but give them a playmate. I guess I have a while to wait.

Anyone been in an R1S or driven one? @mcgaskins what are your thoughts?

I had the pleasure to help with the launch of the R1S back in June in NY and put 500+ miles on one in all conditions at the event - highway, twisty 2 lanes, traffic, heavy rain, track, and off road (including a complete mud fest in a downpour). I've driven them quite a bit since then for events all over the country, and my biggest complaint is that I don't have mine yet...which is admittedly a factor of my unique color configuration of yellow exterior and forest edge/green interior. The R1S is objectively one of the best SUVs, or vehicles for that matter, to ever exist. On road it's insanely fast, handles unbelievably well with little to no body roll, is exceptionally easy and relaxing to drive when you want it to be and absolutely thrilling when you want it to be, has a gorgeous and easy to use interior with excellent fit and finish, and off road it is even better. On top of being absurdly capable and easy to use off road, I've never driven another vehicle that gives less driver AND passenger fatigue afforded by the comfortable seats, lack of noise and vibration, almost no side to side body toss due to the hydraulic dampeners and air suspension, excellent view with glass everywhere... It's also incredibly safe, has impressive storage everywhere, nice touches like 6 interior lights, 2 USB Cs, 120v, 12v outlets under a gorgeous glass roof - all in the third row for awesome camping/tailgating! I can't say anything that hasn't already been said by countless media outlets, other than to confirm that's how people genuinely feel when they drive it.

Some of my fav pics from the event:

Glacier white

AL9nZEVEzQ_16fF_C1PKOonVMeVVtgc1E9Lhjr_e7NymDhonCj7UbLYjVHvsSHaTJ7HXr4RfrIdTd_54suvTFeUQbFZt306CKPiYNCDM8AMYc8Mt-TNqWOrNcGdUug8A5L5q_KAWmuU9yAsxV0LuX_g3RQt5NA=w3122-h2436-no

AL9nZEWKD05HuJOYJmAGA-svaA_7PYnwQEz7BFHj8tlX64pjgzZ3BdIL9Y7Guft_E-OtXqwqAD1zotpucbTrluCH1BR5P-QaBOHYFKiay5I8JOBf5jqbYBH9CaIQLr9ZdinjVaWO04EzdHlGpAT3sODNHkyHtA=w3248-h2436-no

Forest green

AL9nZEWRsHNw-DrV0iomONYhCEjLcXR7VtnnPiSK55FLj6iW0iclD2NR_HwXPlcZMUjOFC7QZbtfzETDJW3D4ukW8jp-pG6C8cPYOkPB17XCGrRK2vQyRcQa0gkM3j7naHIbBCk-i8ARCdt3tLrOykyLYLC80Q=w4032-h2268-no

All lined up

AL9nZEX9R5VynDN_WijbVrgIjXXHLg408PuBDe-PYuVnBg9so_bh3yzAaK4MM4P4p5o7DfvW8qRbk90VR3tUZb8JEwzAdoArZlC5lT8LX4zken3b5zwn0fZuExi8NEfroTe7FyO0zHMK63zXhU32zJa5ulzWxw=w1372-h2436-no

Last edited:
I had the pleasure to help with the launch of the R1S back in June in NY and put 500+ miles on one in all conditions at the event - highway, twisty 2 lanes, traffic, heavy rain, track, and off road (including a complete mud fest in a downpour). I've driven them quite a bit since then for events all over the country, and my biggest complaint is that I don't have mine yet...which is admittedly a factor of my unique color configuration of yellow exterior and forest edge/green interior. The R1S is objectively one of the best SUVs, or vehicles for that matter, to ever exist. On road it's insanely fast, handles unbelievably well with little to no body roll, is exceptionally easy and relaxing to drive when you want it to be and absolutely thrilling when you want it to be, has a gorgeous and easy to use interior with excellent fit and finish, and off road it is even better. On top of being absurdly capable and easy to use off road, I've never driven another vehicle that gives less driver AND passenger fatigue afforded by the comfortable seats, lack of noise and vibration, almost no side to side body toss due to the hydraulic dampeners and air suspension, excellent view with glass everywhere... It's also incredibly safe, has impressive storage everywhere, nice touches like 6 interior lights, 2 USB Cs, 120v, 12v outlets under a gorgeous glass roof - all in the third row for awesome camping/tailgating! I can't say anything that hasn't already been said by countless media outlets, other than to confirm that's how people genuinely feel when they drive it.

Some of my fav pics from the event:

Glacier white

AL9nZEVEzQ_16fF_C1PKOonVMeVVtgc1E9Lhjr_e7NymDhonCj7UbLYjVHvsSHaTJ7HXr4RfrIdTd_54suvTFeUQbFZt306CKPiYNCDM8AMYc8Mt-TNqWOrNcGdUug8A5L5q_KAWmuU9yAsxV0LuX_g3RQt5NA=w3122-h2436-no

AL9nZEWKD05HuJOYJmAGA-svaA_7PYnwQEz7BFHj8tlX64pjgzZ3BdIL9Y7Guft_E-OtXqwqAD1zotpucbTrluCH1BR5P-QaBOHYFKiay5I8JOBf5jqbYBH9CaIQLr9ZdinjVaWO04EzdHlGpAT3sODNHkyHtA=w3248-h2436-no

All lined up

AL9nZEX9R5VynDN_WijbVrgIjXXHLg408PuBDe-PYuVnBg9so_bh3yzAaK4MM4P4p5o7DfvW8qRbk90VR3tUZb8JEwzAdoArZlC5lT8LX4zken3b5zwn0fZuExi8NEfroTe7FyO0zHMK63zXhU32zJa5ulzWxw=w1372-h2436-no
What was your average range and how long did it take to charge? Looks good in white

I wish they could fit smaller wheels :/

I wish they could fit smaller wheels :/
I knee jerked and canceled my order when I figured out that smaller then a 20 wouldn’t fit…. Called them back when they raised the prices and they reinstated it at my original price. Although I think it could be a long time (if ever) before they start my confirmation: R1T, explorer interior (cheeper one) with max battery pack.

Since then I’m pretty sure a brake swap will be fairly easy. Brake system is a common Bosch one, calipers are common brembos. I think it should be very easy to pull the calipers and rotors sell them and put on ~15” rotors with appropriate brembo calipers and fit 17-18” rims which are the same 6 bolt pattern as a ram 1500.

Back end looks like jeep wagoneer.

Next week Rivian will be adding a delivery estimate on your account page so that will be helpful. 2021 orders for R1T are being already being fulfilled.

The website says orders placed now will be delivered in late 2023. Which means past orders should be filled soon. But I am not putting any faith in these promises until I see our R1S in front of me.

But I was bummed to see this video and all the QC issues. One of the main reasons I chose the R1S over the Tesla X was it seemed to be taking QC a bit more seriously then Tesla.

I preordered my Rivian R1S back in November 2018. I have been told that I am one of the first few hundred R1S orders. My configuration has been locked in since April 2022. I have a test drive on Wednesday, so hopefully my delivery is coming soon. I am not sure if I will keep the Rivian or flip it for a profit.
I drive a 2018 LC200 as my daily driver and will do my best to compare them.

Geeez a 4 year wait, I have a hard time waiting overnight for vehicle delivery. Last time I tried buying an army green 4Runner trd pro they told me 2 weeks out, I laughed and walked away 😄

Next week Rivian will be adding a delivery estimate on your account page so that will be helpful. 2021 orders for R1T are being already being fulfilled.

The website says orders placed now will be delivered in late 2023. Which means past orders should be filled soon. But I am not putting any faith in these promises until I see our R1S in front of me.

But I was bummed to see this video and all the QC issues. One of the main reasons I chose the R1S over the Tesla X was it seemed to be taking QC a bit more seriously then Tesla.

Lol. They have a recall because the front suspension knuckle may not be assembled right. You couldn’t pay me to be a first adopter of this thing.

Geeez a 4 year wait, I have a hard time waiting overnight for vehicle delivery. Last time I tried buying an army green 4Runner trd pro they told me 2 weeks out, I laughed and walked away 😄
And did you end up getting one?

His 1000 dollar deposit 4 years ago can easily be flipped for 10k+ flip now. Silly economics but true.

And the recall was an incorrectly torqued nut.
They only have 15k cars on the road so will be a pretty quick fix. Current owners said their mobile service crew drives out and retorques the nut and done.

Much harder then millions of airbags to recall. Or Toyotas new EV wheels falling off.

I promise I don’t work for Rivian. Just giving facts. Plus the R1S will be my wife’s car. Couldn’t tear the LC out of my cold dead hands. ICE til the day I die.

Last edited:
Lol. They have a recall because the front suspension knuckle may not be assembled right. You couldn’t pay me to be a first adopter of this thing.

Agreed. I won't buy a first model year even from the likes of Toyota, let alone a new company.

A notable reviewer had their Rivian disabled on the freeway. TFL just had their Hummer disabled because of SW.

Tundra camshaft issues in 1st gen, turbo issues 2nd gen.

I give a bit more credit to Tesla as they've been doing EV thing and more importantly software for 10 yrs now. Awaiting the CT but I won't touch their first model year. That said, Rivian is indeed impressive and I'll give them a few more yrs before I consider their products.

And did you end up getting one?

His 1000 dollar deposit 4 years ago can easily be flipped for 10k+ flip now. Silly economics but true.

Hell no, I went and looked at other options including Land Cruisers, G wagons, and Cayennes 🤣

Four years ago few could have predicted the current vehicle market. Hell, my Supras went from being $50-60k to $150k+ cars lol.

Odd that the LX600 Figure 8 time in MT article above did not improve over the old LX570 time. I thought that the new platform was supposed to be better at handling? Lower center of gravity. Better suspension geometry. All marketing talk?!

And MT had very little nice things to say about the LX600’s ride, refinements, and quality interior! :(

Last edited:
Odd that the LX600 Figure 8 time in MT article above did not improve over the old LX570 time. I thought that the new platform was supposed to be better at handling? Lower center of gravity. Better suspension geometry. All marketing talk?!

And MT had very little nice things to say about the LX600’s ride, refinements, and quality interior! :(
I finally drove one Friday as my local dealer got one, premium trim, non AHC. Only 3 mile loop but I was thoroughly unimpressed, interior, UI, and controls already feel dated and cheeper than the 200 and I agree with the drivetrain feeling unrefined, seriously it didn’t have blind spot warning?

^^^. I’ll be honest, there was almost no way I would have bought one anyway. But looking back makes me glad I skipped the 100 (not the 200) and was in the market for likely my last ICE LC ~10 years ago.

For reference that R1S with current bid at 99k is about 18k (excluding taxes and fees) more then what the guy probably bought it for.

For reference that R1S with current bid at 99k is about 18k (excluding taxes and fees) more then what the guy probably bought it for.
And it will sell for around $130k. A few others have all sold for around that price on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom