Rim Size on Rear Disc Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all!
I know I type like a redneck, but I'm actually an Orange-Neck...bc I'm asian...lol! Born and raised in the South...and yes i know how to field dress and deer, fish, and dip copp :eek: Unfornately I now live in Joy-C(NJ)...land of the bighair, jughandles, and dinners :'( ...you outta see how many heads i turn in meeting when they hear an asian say "Y'all"...it's a trip!

Anyhow, I got the rear disk brake conversion and got her all mounted(did it really nice on the rear brake lines...lemmi know if you want some pix)... and my 15" rims don't fit. John at JTO tells me that 15" should fit, just wondering if any of you fellas have the same kit and have 15"s...maybe my rims are shaped differrently than others. Plan on replacing my rims and tires, would like to keep em 15" if I can.

oh...and how do you like the rear discs?...if you have em...and did you get the 80 master cylinder?

Thanks!
Yo Han

Yo Han i got the same kit from JTO and yes i bought the master cylinder too. the brakes work great stops straight even in the rain and i did not use a proportioning valve. My 15x8 modular aluminum wheels fit fine. try turning the brackets around the other way in should gain you some room. hope this helps

Howdy fellas,
Thanks for the responses. Yes I did tried the bracket every which way and they still don't fit. I can't get the rim mounted at all, with spacings or not. These 15s are not factory, guessing they flare in more than the factories or the ones you have.

Yo han

Didnt use the same kit; I used the TSM kit. Conversion was simple and easy. And quality was excellent.
Must say the disc change on the rear was the best thing I did to that cruiser.( a 78) Would stop straight and true every time. Wonderful improvement; well worth the money and time. Will certainly make this change--with the same kit-- to any cruiser I own; planning it for the 72 now.

where is it hitting? depending on the rim design, the caliper may contact the "D" openings slightly, and a touch-up on the caliper with a angle grinder may be the trick...a notorious fix on front disc axles. ;)

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=5683;start=msg49177#msg49177 date=1065727052]
where is it hitting?[/quote]

Hey Woody,
On my rims, it flares about a half inch inward an inch in from the outter lip, that's where the caliper hits. Definately a thought, but sorta sketchs me, bc its basically where the piston housing is.

I was planning on getting new rims when I finally get her running, was wondering if i can fit a 15' is it more benefical in anyway? ....or should i just play it safe and go 16s?

Thanks again fellas for your input! :cheers:
Yo Han

Only real benefit to 15's is the larger tire selection, outside of that there really isn't much, other than the possiblity of great sidewall flex with 15's cause there is more sidewall, but thats not a big issue. If it was between grinding calipers and going to 16's and the tires you want are available in 16" rim sizes, I would probably go to the 16" rims.

actually, given the number of people going with 17's, I'd jump that far immediately. Note that most competition rigs run 17's, lotta tires coming out for that size. The shorter sidewall allows for better sidewall protection and less shift during turning offroad.

Thanks Fellas,

That's good to know, I'll definately go larger then, when I come to the point where my checking account can take the hit :doh:

Happy friday fellas!
Yo Han

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom