Rim Diameter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks.

It is gear and tire/rim time for my 1997 Lexus LX-450. I have been running stock Lexus rims with 285/75R16 tires and stock gearing. I am planning to run 4.88 gears with E-Lockers and 12.5 x 35 inch tires. There are plenty of 17 and 18 inch rims available, and I am wondering which rim size is best for my 80-series. I mainly drive on the street with some off-roading, usually on graded sand/dirt roads, but no rock crawling. I am planning on running all-terrain tires (not mudders). I have heard that 17 inch rims are better for off-road because of the taller sidewalls, plus I believe there is a better price and selection for 17 inch rims, and that "17 inch rims are the new norm over 16 inch rims for off-road use." Please advise, and thanks in advance for your answers and suggestions.

Gene Matarrese

I have heard that 17 inch rims are better for off-road because of the taller sidewalls, plus I believe there is a better price and selection for 17 inch rims
Those are exactly the reasons I've heard.

You can fit various bigger brake mods with a 17" rim, so no reason to go larger in my book. But if you're not trying to stuff anything bigger behind the rim, why change the rims in the first place? You can get 12.5x35 in 16".

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I am doing a rim change simply because my bolt hole pattern on my stock rims has gotten bigger due to poor fitting aftermarket lug nuts. Suggestion: just use Toyota lug nuts on stock Toyota rims! I tried using locking lug nuts that were "supposed" to fit my LC along with aftermarket nuts that looked like the same locking nuts, but no...several of them backed out. I even had a rim fall off on I-10 near Cabazon, CA at 70 mph, and I lived to talk about it. Thank God I was able to pull over without hitting anyone or flipping my LC. The damn rim went about a quarter mile down the freeway, and fortunately, it went off to the right side of the freeway into the desert sand vice going over onto oncoming traffic, where it would have definitely killed someone....sigh.

If choosing between 17 and 18, 17, no question.

Ya'll ride 18's, we ride 26's.
Big truck, big wheels, rollin ova ditches
Chrome rims, loud pipes, heated like a kitchen,
Ice Chain, Ice watch, gettin at these bitches!

I like my 16's. Taller sidewall gives more cushion for the pushin! I can roll over the curbs at the Mall and hardly even tell they are there!

Ya'll ride 18's, we ride 26's.
Big truck, big wheels, rollin ova ditches
Chrome rims, loud pipes, heated like a kitchen,
Ice Chain, Ice watch, gettin at these bitches!

I like my 16's. Taller sidewall gives more cushion for the pushin! I can roll over the curbs at the Mall and hardly even tell they are there!
You win for best posts of the day

I am doing a rim change simply because my bolt hole pattern on my stock rims has gotten bigger due to poor fitting aftermarket lug nuts

Weird. I thought the '97s were centered by the hub. You're aware of the two types of lug nuts used on different years, right?

17s are popular because of tire selection and vice versa. I’d run a 15” wheel if I could. I love balloonish sidewalls on serious off-road trucks.

Just make sure to pick an aftermarket wheel that’s hub-centric. The 80 along with most modern T trucks run a 106.1mm bore. Plenty on ig you can sift through in the $200-$250 per wheel range in 17s. Run the proper 60 degree acorn lug nuts and you’re golden.

Search Summit Wheels here to get the 411.

Gl!

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I am doing a rim change simply because my bolt hole pattern on my stock rims has gotten bigger due to poor fitting aftermarket lug nuts. Suggestion: just use Toyota lug nuts on stock Toyota rims! I tried using locking lug nuts that were "supposed" to fit my LC along with aftermarket nuts that looked like the same locking nuts, but no...several of them backed out. I even had a rim fall off on I-10 near Cabazon, CA at 70 mph, and I lived to talk about it. Thank God I was able to pull over without hitting anyone or flipping my LC. The damn rim went about a quarter mile down the freeway, and fortunately, it went off to the right side of the freeway into the desert sand vice going over onto oncoming traffic, where it would have definitely killed someone....sigh.

Let me guess. Front left wheel came off??

I've had this happen on two cruisers now, and heard of it happening a lot on cruisers and Nissan Patrols. Almost always seems to be front left.

First time was after it had been in the tire shop.
Wheel came off on a sweeping left turn at 50mph.

Second was after I changed from steel rims and mud tires back to alloy rims and road tires. Again a sweeping left, but at 75+mph.
A fine layer of silt caused the wheel to work loose.

Having had this happen twice, I'm kinda paranoid about fitting wheels, and torquing nuts properly, and rechecking after 20-30 miles.

I think it's easy to spin nuts on and tighten them up with the wheel just not quite seated correctly on the hub.

I'd be looking at changing wheel studs as well as nuts. No telling how many times a gorilla in the tire shop has spun nuts on with way too many ugga-duggas and stretched the studs

Let me guess. Front left wheel came off??

I've had this happen on two cruisers now, and heard of it happening a lot on cruisers and Nissan Patrols. Almost always seems to be front left.

First time was after it had been in the tire shop.
Wheel came off on a sweeping left turn at 50mph.

Second was after I changed from steel rims and mud tires back to alloy rims and road tires. Again a sweeping left, but at 75+mph.
A fine layer of silt caused the wheel to work loose.

Having had this happen twice, I'm kinda paranoid about fitting wheels, and torquing nuts properly, and rechecking after 20-30 miles.

I think it's easy to spin nuts on and tighten them up with the wheel just not quite seated correctly on the hub.

I'd be looking at changing wheel studs as well as nuts. No telling how many times a gorilla in the tire shop has spun nuts on with way too many ugga-duggas and stretched the studs
You got it correct sir...left front rim. Weird. However, at least two other wheels loosened up as well. I am guessing a bad fit between aftermarket lug nuts and stock Toyota rims.

Yes, I always retorque after a tire and rim rotate. I also hand-tighten to center the rim on the hub, then cinch the wheels somewhat tight with all 6 lug nuts with the wheel still up off of the ground tightening opposite lug nuts. Then, I do a final retighten when the wheels are back on the ground, where I can really muscle the nuts tight.

My wheel came off at 75 miles away from home, so now I retighten anywhere from 20 - 50 miles as an additional standard practice.

I also did have to replace several damaged wheel studs as well.

Thanks again to all for the responses.

Cheers.
Gene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom