Righting the steering wheel. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
The previous owner installed aftermarket springs on the truck at some point and I would assume never bothered to get an alignment because the steering wheel is cocked at 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock when in the wheels are straight. Give that the springs gave a 2" lift, it makes sense to me that the length between the pitman arm and center link has been shorten. My question pertains to whether I can adjust the steering wheel position via the drag link off of the pitman or is there another method. Yes, I know I should just get an alignment, but I just need to get through Christmas.
Regards,

Hello All,
The previous owner installed aftermarket springs on the truck at some point and I would assume never bothered to get an alignment because the steering wheel is cocked at 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock when in the wheels are straight. Give that the springs gave a 2" lift, it makes sense to me that the length between the pitman arm and center link has been shorten. My question pertains to whether I can adjust the steering wheel position via the drag link off of the pitman or is there another method. Yes, I know I should just get an alignment, but I just need to get through Christmas.
Regards,

yes that is how you adjust your steering wheel, do a search for adjusting toe it is easy to do your self.

I've always just popped off my steering wheel. Don't even have to pop the hood :hillbilly:

Take out the emblem/ badge thingy. 17mm nut. Break it loose, leave it engaged on the end of the threads and pop the steering wheel off.

Your rig can still be aligned correctly with the steering wheel cocked off to one direction. Save yourself the trouble and expense and just pop the wheel, line it back up and your done. You may need a two bolt puller to get it off by the way, there are threaded holes in the wheel just for this.

Tony

I've always just popped off my steering wheel. Don't even have to pop the hood :hillbilly:

Take out the emblem/ badge thingy. 17mm nut. Break it loose, leave it engaged on the end of the threads and pop the steering wheel off.

This is exactly what I did to take the steering wheel off. By leaving the nut loose but toward the end, you avoid hitting the steering wheel against your head when you pull it off!!

If the wheel doesn't come off easily first time, give it a spray of WD40, drive it a little, and it should pretty much just pop off

Get a steering wheel puller, less than 10.00. MIke

Hello All,
Regards,

As others have suggested, you could just pop the steering wheel off and "fix" it that way ... or you could leave it as-is for character.

My steering wheel is cockeyed too from when I pulled it off to fix the horn and put it back on crooked because I was hurrying. I was too lazy to fix it at first, but now I kind of like it. Bonus points: it drives my :princess: nuts!

It is also a very easy to adjust the steering rod in front of the axle.

Only if your steering components are not partially locked into place with corrosion which is not uncommon

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom