Installing US Spec Buckets on a RHD with Stock 70/30 Bench Tub Mount Holes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installing US Spec Buckets on a RHD with Stock 70/30 Bench Tub Mount Holes?

Background: '84 HJ47, Aussie Spec RHD that came with the 70/30 bench. I'm in the process of the pulling tub, stripping to bare metal, welding tub holes, and painting and moving towards a more 'stock' look. My current fronts are 4 Runner seats welding to homemade brackets, along with a Tuffy center console.

I believe the RHD bench mount captive nuts don't line up with the US OEM bucket pattern. See the pics of the custom mount brackets with approximate measurements for the mount holes.

Is there a best/preferred method to install US spec buckets?

Modify the tub to US spec bucket mounts since it's already pulled... or don't touch the tub and fab up some brackets? (I'll add I don't have equipment/skills to do either myself)

Thanks!
Right Seat.jpg
View attachment 1793267

Left Seat v2.jpg

Last edited:
I have 70/30 bench seats on my 78 non-us 40 and I’m in the process of rebuilding and installing stock US 40 buckets.
Bench seats have a few downsides. They have no support, the middle seat is almost useless, they make it tough to get in the back, and if you have shouilder belts, they have to run all the way across the 70 seat for the passenger. I tend to prefer stock so I’d either go stock benches or stock buckets.

I have 70/30 bench seats on my 78 non-us 40 and I’m in the process of rebuilding and installing stock US 40 buckets.
Bench seats have a few downsides. They have no support, the middle seat is almost useless, they make it tough to get in the back, and if you have shouilder belts, they have to run all the way across the 70 seat for the passenger. I tend to prefer stock so I’d either go stock benches or stock buckets.

What's your game plan for installing the stock buckets? Some sort of bracket fab or will you drill the tub?

Note: I just corrected the left seat pic - the measurement between the front holes is actually 14.75" (vs. the 15.25" for the right seat fronts)

Last edited:
Updated original post to make it more 'how to' question

I installed 1980 FJ40 US/NA spec buckets into my 1981 FJ43, LHD. It came to me with the bench seating.

The driver side bucket lined up perfectly with stock bolt holes. The right also lined up perfectly with 3 of the four mounting holes on the seat. For my fourth mounting point I drilled a hole, used a nutzert and the passenger seat is well planted in place now.

Not sure if this helps

devo

Yes that helps. One extra hole is not a big deal. I was thinking other holes would be slightly off, but maybe the homemade brackets got tweaked/torqued out of alignment and it’s throwing me off.

I’ll update this thread with pictures if I end up mounting US buckets in my RHD.

It's the back center hole that's not there. Believe the right seat on a RHD will line up with LHD bucket seat. Adding a bucket to the left believe front and back outside with line up. Front center will have a hole that needs a nutsert. Back center will need a hole drilled and nutsert installed.

It's the back center hole that's not there. Believe the right seat on a RHD will line up with LHD bucket seat. Adding a bucket to the left believe front and back outside with line up. Front center will have a hole that needs a nutsert. Back center will need a hole drilled and nutsert installed.

Cool, so maybe the RHD tub needs 2 nutserts and LHD tub needs just one. Either way sounds pretty simple (and no fab/welding)

Thanks!

Thinking because the RHD was really a bucket seat already should just line up. Left hand side your shrinking the seat and need to deal with the inside. Would have to do some checking on my 82 tub but front outside brackets are the same on all 40 series 1/79+. Believe the front center bracket is the same two but only hole needed have a fix nut but that bracket is the same. The back only those needed were drilled and fix nut installed.

Thinking because the RHD was really a bucket seat already should just line up. Left hand side your shrinking the seat and need to deal with the inside. Would have to do some checking on my 82 tub but front outside brackets are the same on all 40 series 1/79+. Believe the front center bracket is the same two but only hole needed have a fix nut but that bracket is the same. The back only those needed were drilled and fix nut installed.

That's good news. I think I'll start hunting for some OEM buckets!

Looked at my 82 tub center bracket. US market with buckets seat. Has three mounting holes on the front. Outside each has a fixed nuts and center would require a nutsert if using a RHD or LHD bench seat. Believe you will find your center will have a fixed nut and empty hole on the left. Please let me know of this is correct or not. My 79 US market FJ40 has a Middle East passenger bench seat sitting in it. Matches up with front middle hole and would need new hole in the center back if I choose to use it. Fits find with left side bucket like they were meant to work together.

Tub is in the body shop, but I recall I’ve got four fixed nuts on the front and suspect the right center may may have to be moved in a bit more center to work. Also the new rear hole for the same seat will be needed.

I just made a deal for some US buckets this morning. 300 miles away, but close to my brother to pick and save shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom