RHD Fj60 Frostie Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!
This is my "first"/official build thread. I have a relatively young family, a 7-year-old and a 7-month-old. Things are slow regarding purchases and work done to the ole 60. However, I would like a resource to document some of my steps, ask for help, and make some friends along the way. All that to say, "This will be a slow process with potentially long periods between updates." Oh, and my wife and I got off social media, so I no longer have access to the Facebook group to bother them with questions. Haha

I have a 1983 FJ60 that was converted to a right-hand drive (RHD) by BCDS 4X4. This company apparently did recovery operation training for those that would need to be familiar with right-hand drive vehicles. I have owned my 60 for roughly 5 1/2 years. My wife and son love it and we are excited for the youngest to grow up with it as well. I would like to try and slowly make it seem more "Original" to what a right-hand drive 60 series would be. Which will take time and money, so no rush to do some of those things. I do have a list of things I could use some advice on to try and correct sooner rather than later.

Here is my first of many questions for the community. Also, if there is a forum/thread that answers these, please point me that way. I will do some research before posting questions, but sometimes the RHD part throws things off.

1st - My motor mounts are different in the way it is connected. I know it wouldn't hurt, but if I get new motor mounts are they different for rhd 60s in regards to engine placement?
2nd - Can someone with an RHD 60 post a picture of the way their hood release cable is run? I suspect mine being run along the air intake and zip tied to my top radiator line isn't the best solution. Also, what's a good solution to fix the cable fraying at the latch part?
3rd - Suggestions on how to fix this massive dent in the driver's floorboard?

drivers motormount.jpg
passenger motormount.jpg
driver floorpan.jpg
butchered dash.jpg

I'm not sure on your other questions, but this is how the cable is run on my RHD 62-Series.

1680033406960.png

It comes through the firewall, under the airbox and around the battery, snaking through between the radiator and core support.

I ordered a new cable and latch assembly from cruiserparts.net because of a damaged cable and latch tab. They are specific to RHD vs LHD.

-Rob

I'm not sure on your other questions, but this is how the cable is run on my RHD 62-Series.

View attachment 3284664

It comes through the firewall, under the airbox and around the battery, snaking through between the radiator and core support.

I ordered a new cable and latch assembly from cruiserparts.net because of a damaged cable and latch tab. They are specific to RHD vs LHD.

-Rob
Thank you, Rob!
That helps. Also, do you have a steering stabilizer? If so can you post a picture of it attached and what kind it is? When you have a chance. I got an OME one with either my tie rod end kit or OME suspension kit and it didn't work for me. Unless I didn't ever want to turn left. lol

@83Frostie , welcome to this asylum for the toyotaly insane, with all the mad dogs n englishmen. oh, n 1 or 2 that claim viking :grinpimp: @RivMan was able to assist with one of your queries, i may be able help with the floor. if you can some how brace up under the dash then with your jack push down till flat. i mean something pushed it up so push back.
may i make the suggestion of checking the clubhouse for local clubs n cruiserheads in your area, but beware of where you tread in here. there's back corners the even demons fear to go:hillbilly: oh yeah, just about forgot:flipoff2:

Thank you, Rob!
That helps. Also, do you have a steering stabilizer? If so can you post a picture of it attached and what kind it is? When you have a chance. I got an OME one with either my tie rod end kit or OME suspension kit and it didn't work for me. Unless I didn't ever want to turn left. lol
1680045035522.jpeg

Here’s my steering stabilizer, stock as far as I know.

Thanks
-Rob

@83Frostie , welcome to this asylum for the toyotaly insane, with all the mad dogs n englishmen. oh, n 1 or 2 that claim viking :grinpimp: @RivMan was able to assist with one of your queries, i may be able help with the floor. if you can some how brace up under the dash then with your jack push down till flat. i mean something pushed it up so push back.
may i make the suggestion of checking the clubhouse for local clubs n cruiserheads in your area, but beware of where you tread in here. there's back corners the even demons fear to go:hillbilly: oh yeah, just about forgot:flipoff2:
@kirvesmies thanks for the welcome! haha, it has definitely created a few close calls of buying things I really shouldn't. Whether another FJ or more parts. I guess all things in moderation... Great! I will give that a try soon! I should look into the local clubs, I have met a few others over the past few years.
View attachment 3284882

Here’s my steering stabilizer, stock as far as I know.

Thanks
-Rob
@RivMan Awesome!! Thank you for taking the time to do that.

Quick question. What size wire should I run from a 12v battery to my Blue Sea fuse block? I am having a hard time finding the size of the wires to run from the positive and negative terminals to a Blue Sea fuse block.

Finally attached my bypass hose about a week ago.
Bypass hose.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom