Review of bids and recommendations for my 2013 GX460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Just created my account but I've been a lurker off and on for roughly 2yrs, for ideas and whether I should buy a GX. Pretty new to vehicle modifications in general. I'm looking to get some opinions on the bids below and insight into the future for this build. I plan to go with an OME (Old man emu) lift featured here -> OME 2010+ Lexus GX460 Medium Load Suspension Kit - 2.5-3" Lift - https://www.metaltech4x4.com/ome-2010-lexus-gx460-medium-load-suspension-kit-2-5-3-lift/ and the shop below recommended SPC adjustables UCAs over OME UCAs (I'm guessing increased spacing next to the coil?). I've heard bad things about SPCs wearing out quickly.

I'd also like to install a front bumper and I'm leaning towards the DIY Coastal Offroad featured here -> Lexus GX460 High Clearance Front Bumper Kit | Coastal Offroad - https://www.coastaloffroad.com/product-page/lexus-gx460-high-clearance-front-bumper-kit/ with the bid for assembly and installation below (pg 3). Tags are in IL, so front license plate will be mandatory unfortunately.

So, what do you guys think of the bid prices and the equipment I chose? Don't have a large budget, so I need to be choosey with the mods. All feedback is appreciated.

Lift kit bid_Page_1.png
Lift kit bid_Page_2.png
front bumper bid.png

Well, welcome to the club! :cheers:
Just a suggestion, you may want to start a build thread where you can chronicle all your mods to your rig.

So you want some feed back, here goes:
  1. You absolutely do not need a diff drop kit. I have a 2013 with a 3" lift and you'll be hard pressed to find a more capable off roader than my rig on this forum and I use my rig quite often on all kinds of trails. (Here's my build thread: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r2m-2013-gx460-overland-build.1104719/ ) When I first built my rig, I too asked the shope about a diff drop kit since my last overlander was a 100 series Landcruiser with 35" tires, which I DID need a diff drop. But the shop that did all my suspension and ONLY does Toyota's (4R's, Taco's, etc. read: tons of experience) told me I did not need one. Several years later, and he's right I've never needed one or felt like I was compromised by not having a diff drop. Just my .02¢ to save you a few $$.
  2. Do you have an "end game" to what you want to do with your rig? Will it be overlanding, rock crawling (I hope not), daily driver, Mom's car, fire roads and maintained campsites, etc.? Figure out what your end game is and that will direct you in what to do and not waste a bunch of money on things you may not really need.

I think assembled coil overs are cheaper to install, shop time wise

Your front spring rate will be to low for a bumper and winch, if that's something you plan, also should be installed at same time, if not then 590# should be fine
-I'm on 700# springs and with an ironman bumper and winch its a little undersprung, each truck is different though

Your installing a stiffer spring in the rear for constant weight, and should expect the ride to be harsher, they are 260# over stock, Maybe a progressive rate would be better suited

The shop labor for a weld together bumper seems low considering all the work needed to fit the bumper and welding time, might be worth buying a prewelded bumper

r2m has a good point, what are you doing with the truck, hard to offer advice without any direction from you about the trucks intent

This is an expensive hobby, and has 100 different directions you can go

Welcome.

Double check the price of the SPC control arms. I paid $695 last year but they are $945 if I am reading your quote right.

The bumper install and welding seem like a bargain to me. Here is my thread on building that same bumper 2 years ago. That price for the bumper and install is about the same amount to order a pre-built bumper.

Be prepared for them to have the truck for several weeks if you have them do the bumper. You build the bumper kit on the truck so you tear the bumper cover and crash bar off then weld the new bumper. Then you need to take the bumper off to get it painted or powder coated.

Man i am glad i am able to install parts on my own. Cant imagine paying double for everything.

IMO the price for the lift is pretty high. The lift plus UCA's is only around $1,800, plus an alignment ($75), so you're really only at $1,900 or so in parts, meaning they are hitting you for a whopping $2,200 in labor. Installing the lift kit, on a 4-post lift in the shop, should be a ~8 hour job for a tech (~$1,200 in labor at those rates). I think closer to $3,000-3,200 is a more reasonable number. For reference I DIY'd my lift and also replaced every suspension component (all rear control arms, new front lower control arms, sway bar end links, bushings, etc) and it took me around 16 hours, on the floor in my 1-car garage.

I would definitely get some other quotes. I'm actually around an hour south of STL, but do my own wrenching and don't really have any shops to recommend.

Regarding the bumper, I concur with the questions above - what are your goals for the rig? I wheel quite a bit down here in SEMO on the toughest public trails we have and have never really needed one, and have taken my GX out to CO/UT as well. Short of the commercial off-road parks we have in this area, there really aren't any wheeling or overlanding areas where you can't clear obstacles with the stock bumper and a 2" lift. The front approach angle is pretty good, so unless you just like the look of a bumper, your money would be better spent on wheels and tires, skidplates, or a better quality lift, than the front bumper.

Man i am glad i am able to install parts on my own. Cant imagine paying double for everything.
Often it comes down to one of two things:
1) Don't have the:
  • Knowledge
  • Tools
  • Space (e.g. minus garage, driveway, side yard, etc.) Often happens in planned communities with heavy handed associations.
  • Physical ability
2) You earn far more than what it costs to have it done, and your time is worth more to you than busting knuckles over several weekends buying beer and pizza for you and your friends to help.

I have been in both categories. It's satisfying when you do all the work yourself. But sometimes you have to cut corners a wee bit because of lack of equipment, knowledge or ability. Then, like on the rig I have now, I had all the hard stuff (suspension, armor, lockers done for me) and that too was nice to just get my rig back a month or two later all done and working perfectly!

Last edited:
Often it comes down to one of two things:
1) Don't have the:
  • Knowledge
  • Tools
  • Space (e.g. minus garage, driveway, side yard, etc.) Often happens in planned communities with heavy handed associations.
  • Physical ability
2) You earn far more than what it costs to have it done, and your time is worth more to you than busting knuckles over several weekends buy beer and pizza for you and your friends to help.

I have been in both categories. It's satisfying when you do all the work yourself. But sometimes you have to cut corners a wee bit because of lack of equipment, knowledge or ability. Then, like on the rig I have now, I had all the hard stuff (suspension, armor, lockers done for me) and that too was nice to just get my rig back a month or two later all done and working perfectly!
Oh i understand all that. I guess i have either too many tools or dont make enough money.

Reactions: r2m
IMO the price for the lift is pretty high.
Second this...paying right at $3,000 for Dobinsons Nitro 2.5" w/ UCAs installed, breakdown is about 50/50 between parts and labor, including alignment.

It looks like your quote is higher because you are getting dinged for airbag removal/conversion and the price on some of the parts and alignment might higher? (not sure what BTECHNOCOUNT and PRO are). Parts prices might have risen. I ordered my kit in November.

Get another quote if you can. I know shops that do this are scarce around me.

Also, if at all possible find an all Toyota off road shop. If you do they'll have done many 5th Gen 4R's which a very similar to our GXer's.

3 hrs from STL, but this guy is great:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom