Retrofit Automatic High Beams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does seem like it was an option, even though not listed in the brochure as an option. But since there are 2 different rear view mirror part numbers that cover those years, seems it must have been an option. We’re the headlights set to “Auto” mode? That seems to be the two requirements. Possibly you may have to be going a certain speed and of course it has to be dark, with no headlights in view of the front of your vehicle.

I have the automatic high beams in my '14 LX. Nifty feature, but one I haven't used beyond playing with it a few times during the first few months of ownership.

The biggest problem is the length of time it takes for the high beams to turn off with oncoming traffic. They do turn off, but considerably later than I deem acceptable. I see an oncoming vehicle, I switch to low beams - period. The auto headlights will wait sometimes upwards of 5 seconds longer, while blinding the oncoming driver the entire time.

Furthermore, often times the reflection of my own high beams off a highway sign will be enough for the auto system to think the reflection is another vehicle and shut the lights off.

I don't think the auto high beam functionality on the 200 series is worth it, and my advice would be to not bother.

I agree, none of that sounds good.

I have the automatic high beams in my '14 LX. Nifty feature, but one I haven't used beyond playing with it a few times during the first few months of ownership.

The biggest problem is the length of time it takes for the high beams to turn off with oncoming traffic. They do turn off, but considerably later than I deem acceptable. I see an oncoming vehicle, I switch to low beams - period. The auto headlights will wait sometimes upwards of 5 seconds longer, while blinding the oncoming driver the entire time.

Furthermore, often times the reflection of my own high beams off a highway sign will be enough for the auto system to think the reflection is another vehicle and shut the lights off.

I don't think the auto high beam functionality on the 200 series is worth it, and my advice would be to not bother.
Well you're making me feel a lot better about not pursuing it. That's sad to hear...my in-laws have a Venza from similar time ~2011/2012 and the auto high beams work quite well and as you'd generally expect...it's too bad that's not the case for the 200

I would personally install a light bar in the front bumper instead and call it a day. It could potentially be much brighter than high beams as well. (although you still need to turn them on/off manually)

For what it's worth my 13LX had a sensor behind the mirror, and the auto headlight space on the dash (not illuminated), but any fiddling around with the stalk in various ignition states does not seem to enable the feature.

My high beams just come on, and the 'auto' light on the dash does not illuminate.

For what it's worth my 13LX has a sensor behind the mirror, and the auto headlight space on the dash (not illuminated), but any fiddling around with the stalk in various ignition states does not seem to enable the feature.

My high beams just come on, and the 'auto' light on the dash does not illuminate.

For what it's worth my 13LX had a sensor behind the mirror, and the auto headlight space on the dash (not illuminated), but any fiddling around with the stalk in various ignition states does not seem to enable the feature.

I guess if you don’t have the option that’s a good thing. Means they didn’t make a different combination meter for that feature. Hopefully the canbus from the headlight controller can turn that on so no new wires are necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom