Retrofit Automatic High Beams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATwoZ

SILVER Star
Threads
So I've been eyeing some of the differences between my 2010 LX and the refreshed 2013-2015. I enjoyed what @nwfl4runner was doing with the mechanical retrofits (MTS, Crawl and Turn Assist), and it got me thinking if there were other pieces that could be ported over. One was the Automatic High Beam functionality. Especially here in CO hit a lot of dark mountain roads where that can be very handy.

I've done some initial digging and it looks like 89940-60160 is the control module and 84140-53110 is the updated lever.

A couple immediate questions (beyond the 'why would you bother' and 'pulling a lever isn't that hard'):
  1. What other parts might be involved or needed? Are there other sensors, or is something like the ambient light sensor reused?
  2. Since the 2013+ use HID would this likely work with non-HID?
  3. Without buying and trying, how else might I determine if the aforementioned parts would be interchangeable?

I just put some bright-ass fog light LEDs and I rarely need my HiBeams!
Curious how you make out here!

I suspect the biggest concern is that the MTS/Crawl retrofit was added features to modules that already existed, so it was limited cabling differences. Adding a new computer that didn't exist previously probably adds to the complexity quite a bit.

I suspect the biggest concern is that the MTS/Crawl retrofit was added features to modules that already existed, so it was limited cabling differences. Adding a new computer that didn't exist previously probably adds to the complexity quite a bit.
I'm not quite sure if that's the case- some rudimentary sleuthing looks like 89940-60020 might be the equivalent module for the 08-11 vintage. They both describe handling the headlight swivel function, the 60160 adds to that description of the auto high beams as well.

What other resources could I look at to try and do some validation (and check if there's other sensors involved)?

Wiring diagrams from the FSM are probably only thing. Something else to consider, the headlights are a bit different. I know people have retrofitted earlier models, but the wiring wasn’t plug and play. This may be irrelevant depending on what controls the high beams. The changes to the high beams may have been a driving factor for the new wiring. On the plus side, I think no plugs were changed out, just different pin outs and possibly one connector from old version doesn’t get used.

Last edited:
It appears the sensor is in the rearview mirror. Possibly uses the same as the one for auto dimming. Wiring diagram of the mirror would confirm that. But also, the combination meter has a display for it, not that I suspect this would keep it from working.

A common mirror part number would also help confirm. Though a different number doesn’t necessarily mean the earlier one doesn’t have the capability. Could have been other features or form factor that changed.

mirror seems to have same sensor, but part is different, plugs is at least pinned differently. None of this may matter as long as the sensor in old mirror can report back necessary data.

Wow- thanks for digging in on that...I'll need to dig up a 2013 FSM to compare. Since I'm considering the MTS/Crawl retrofit I may be tracking down that combo screen anyway....

My 13 LX 570 doesn't have auto high beams. (unless I've missed it).

Just bringing that up, because that may make the 13 FSM referenced previously useless.

Oh...that's probably the biggest hurdle. Doesn't look like it was an option until the 2016 refresh. Maybe that doesn't matter, but isn't going to mesh with the "just using a 2013" combination meter theory.

It's a 2013 option (see manual here). I need to look deeper to see how it works.

Strange, the brochures don't mention it until the 2016 model. Also the name changed from "Automatic High Beam" to "Intelligent High Beam". I guess Lexus didn't deem it an important enough feature to advertise (until 2016).

Edit: There is the smallest hint of auto high beams in the brochure.

From Brochure:
Dual-swivel Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)^43

43. The Adaptive Front Lighting System can help improve vision at night. However, conditions such as a dirty windshield, rapidly changing light conditions or hilly terrain will limit effectiveness so the driver may need to manually change the high beams from on to off. Please see your Owner’s Manual for details.

That's listed under standard features. Maybe the @Mixelplix has the feature and just didn't know. It seems to just be part of the "Auto" system and doesn't have a different selector. Although, the manual does show it as an option. So confusing.

From the Manual @nwfl4runner linked.

1617911810334.png

Last edited:
Here's some tidbits from PartSouq

878100W840MIRROR ASSY, INNER REAR VIEW87810URJ201 HEADLAMP LEVELING DEVICE-WITH(AUTO) & WITH(*AHB)101.2012 - 09.2015

And if eBay auctions are to be believed, you can get that part off a 2013 LX. Maybe you can get the mirror and the combination meter from them.

Here's some tidbits from PartSouq

878100W840MIRROR ASSY, INNER REAR VIEW87810URJ201 HEADLAMP LEVELING DEVICE-WITH(AUTO) & WITH(*AHB)101.2012 - 09.2015

And if eBay auctions are to be believed, you can get that part off a 2013 LX. Maybe you can get the mirror and the combination meter from them.

Great eyes- thank you! trying to see what's available...

That's listed under standard features. Maybe the @Mixelplix has the feature and just didn't know. It seems to just be part of the "Auto" system and doesn't have a different selector. Although, the manual does show it as an option. So confusing.
Strange! I'll have to investigate.

So I started digging through the FSM, and while it might be doable I can see the mirror portion giving some issues. It appears the 1st gen is a 5pin connector at the mirror, whereas the 2nd gen is a 10pin connector...which if I'm understanding right would mean not just replacing the rear view mirror, but also replacing the connector and fishing wire through the headliner etc.....I think it could be done, but quickly turning into more trouble than it may be worth...definitely interested in other thoughts though.

Strange! I'll have to investigate.
I think I saw something in one of the manuals on it that you leave the lever in the high-beams on position prior to starting the car with it also in the 'auto' position for the normal lights and that should trigger it. It looks like there's an icon that should show in the combo screen cluster as well.

I'll give that a shot.

I tested it last night by just pushing the stalk forward while driving. That doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom