Retro fitting VDJ76 fuel tank on HZJ75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

I reside here in the UK so my parts access is a bit limited, but I don't mind doing some "bespoke" work, aftermarket tanks all appear to be a minimum of 4 month wait around here in the EU or no restock in sight. With luck I found a vendor who has a single Ironman4x4 long range tank 160L for a VDJ76 and my plan is to cut the spare wheel support underneath the tray and slip on the tank with a few "modifications" such as retro fitting the sender, pickup and other access tubes. I've scoured the forum and with the bits and pieces that apply to my case I believe I've got my game plan

I've spent a lot of time measuring up the underside and I am 97% sure things will be alright. If anyone has done this or has any words of advice it would be much appreciated!

I cut the spare hanger and jammed a 32 gal tank in it. I also put the old 13 or so gal tank under where the PTO pump used to sit. Rigged a fuel switch to toggle between tanks. The sending unit from that 32gal tank worked cause it was 12v but I had to bend the steel float arm around for fitment and restince signel was backcwards. So full was empty and empty was full. But the float arm was long enough to wrap around to reverse its signal. Hard to explain. Works great now I have about 45gal of fuel capacity. Fitting the old skinny narrow tank under was not an easy task but eventually it went and I used 1/4 rubber stall mat material at areas metal touches. I spent 10$ on the 32 gal tank.

It is doable but requires some fabrication.

I was planning to do the same for my 78. The plan was to do a 76 rear tank behind the axle. on paper it should fit but under the chassis there is a lot of difference. Mainly the rear crossmember.

So I will be doing the install but on a 75 troopy and it will require modifications to the chassis to make room for it to fit.

I cut the spare hanger and jammed a 32 gal tank in it. I also put the old 13 or so gal tank under where the PTO pump used to sit. Rigged a fuel switch to toggle between tanks. The sending unit from that 32gal tank worked cause it was 12v but I had to bend the steel float arm around for fitment and restince signel was backcwards. So full was empty and empty was full. But the float arm was long enough to wrap around to reverse its signal. Hard to explain. Works great now I have about 45gal of fuel capacity. Fitting the old skinny narrow tank under was not an easy task but eventually it went and I used 1/4 rubber stall mat material at areas metal touches. I spent 10$ on the 32 gal tank.
Thanks for the reply, what is the 32 gal tank that you jammed in there?

It was from a ford. I just measured and took a used one. I didn't want to spend around 2000$ which, if I remember right, was the price for an after market company that makes tanks to fit. I kept the skid plate/metal under case it came with and bought a diesel filler neck used some pipe from the hardware store that is used for fuels and solvents. Was about 20$ for the filler neck that had a fuel cap and lock. (Bought online for diesel cause it's a bigger throat) this is the type of fuel swith I used and this is what the tank looks like without the metal skit plate I think an f250. I fit it in sideways. It's 40gal but more usable 32 gal for my application maybe my pickup isn't low enough

Screenshot_20240109_204748_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240109_204428_Samsung Internet.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom