Resurfacing a 3B block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
??? Does anyone out there know if a 3B block (diesel) can be resurfaced?? The OEM manual i have does not say anything about it but I've heard that it is possible. I'm not trying for more compression but rather just to clean up the top of the block prior to rebuilding.

'82 BJ60 5 speed, 325,000 kM
'84 BJ60 376,000 kM
+ one spare engine being rebuilt!?!

IMO, any block can be resurfaced...you aren't removing enuf material to effect anything.

it's when you get into zero-decking and head shaving that you can run into fitment issues.

Although I agree with Woody, in most diesels you don't have that much room between the valves and the piston. If you do end up surfacing either the block or the head or both, you may want to make sure tolerances are still sufficient. If the deck isn't too bad I would just clean it up with a sanding block.

:-/According to the machine shop they need to take off about one thousanth of an inch. There is a minor depression where the precombustion chamber which broke up was. All other cylinders are fine. There are liners in this block so the only concern here is to make sure the precombustion chambers are securely held in place when all is put together. &nbsp:Do you know if this could be built up?? I'd feel better about that as I would not be messing with valve/piston clearances.

I'm not really sure what to tell ya. One thou should not normally cause problems, so if the machine shop figures it will work, probably it will. I haven't taken a 3B apart, but all other engines I've worked on with liners had the liners protrude slightly above the block surface (Alfa's and Renaults). In those engines it's to ensure proper clamping force against the liners and headgasket, and is a critical value that is set to factory specs. The factory manual is probably going to be your best source of info though, regarding wear limits and rebuild directions. IIRC, it explains p.c.chamber removal and installation. The machine shop should be able to install the precombustion chambers so they wont work their way out, unless there is damage to the head casting that led to it dropping down in the first place.
I have that manual for my '80 BJ40, but thankfully haven't needed to use it.
best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom