Restoration Radio Wiring Help- 83 BJ42 \ FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellas: Need your help here. Going back to the stock AM/FM Radio for my1983 BJ42LX. Took out a decent Sony radio. Did all the research I could including the radio \ CB wiring link, ToyoDIY, etc. Simple question on the connector and what goes to what wire- but I simply am lost and I don't want to blow the new old radio trying. I have the 1983 wiring book, but it does not provide the details.

I'm pretty sure the white with black stripe wire is the ground wire. This is on most Toyota diagrams and matches the wire on my actual BJ. I think the pink wires are the speakers.

I need to know which wires for sure are Ground, Power (ACC), speakers (4 wires) and I believe the dimmer wire. This makes 7 wires, but this connector has 9 wires, so not sure what the others are for unless used for front speaker if used for FJ60 or Toyota Van (which I belive this came out of). Help please, as I am pretty stuck right now.
004.jpg
001.jpg
002.jpg

Left side..... speakers are: blue/red and pink/blue..... green/red and blue/black

Right side....brown could be power ant...power should be power ing pwr, const pwr and dimmer-light for the panel

can't see very well the pinks with what color on the right side

but double check with other people...

I realized I don't have dimming on the BJ like I do on my FJ or any power antenna, so I only need to determine which wire input is the power that comes on with accesory power. Brown looks like the obvious choice. The pinks are all pink, pink with white stripe and pink with black stripe.

Based on these assumptions, none of the pinks on the right would be used?

Anyone have any other input?

I took a chance and did my own elimination and diagnostics. Hooked the antenna up and used a small 12v battery (Power Wheels) with my alligator clips for 12v power.

I'll put this down for folks in the future with a 1983 where someone has cut the clip. Also, if you don't have the clip you can figure out the wiring imagining the clip is not there. Specifically, this is for part number 86120-14450.

Here is the wiring:

Pwr- Pink\Blue Trace
Gnd- White\Black Trace

Right Speaker- Pink\Black Trace and Pink (no trace) (Right side of connector in picture, second set of wires top and bottom)
Left Speaker- Pink\Whie Trace and Brown with White Trace (Right side of connector on Picture, first two wires top and bottom)

The other wires are for funtions I don't have with the 1983 BJ42LX.

Last edited:
I took a chance and did my own elimination and diagnostics. Hooked the antenna up and used a small 12v battery (Power Wheels) with my alligator clips for 12v power.

I'll put this down for folks in the future with a 1983 where someone has cut the clip. Also, if you don't have the clip you can figure out the wiring imagining the clip is not there. Specifically, this is for part number 86120-14450.

Here is the wiring:

Pwr- Pink\Blue Trace
Gnd- White\Black Trace

Right Speaker- Pink\Black Trace and Pink (no trace) (Right side of connector in picture, second set of wires top and bottom)
Left Speaker- Pink\Whie Trace and Brown with White Trace (Right side of connector on Picture, first two wires top and bottom)

The other wires are for funtions I don't have with the 1983 BJ42LX.

Hey mate I know this thread is from a long time ago!
I'm starting to toy with the idea of putting an original radio back in my 1982 bj42 lx. I still have the plug to plug straight into the head unit, but I have no speaker.
You dont happen to know where the original speaker goes by any chance??
Also does your bj have a light for the heater controls?? I only have the dash pad light, but in researching this I've found people also have a light for the heater box.

Thanks mate!

I sold it in 2012 to the Land Cruiser Museum. My pics were lost in a PC issue and I can’t remember where the speakers were. Sorry I can’t be of help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom