Resealing oil pan, any tips/gotchas? Is this the right next step? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there. Recently my 80 has been burning a bit more oil--maybe 500ml every 2000 miles, so I'm trying to fix up a few of the leaks.

I did the distributor o-ring last summer and just did the oil pump cover o-ring and the front crankshaft seal today/this weekend.

When down there it seems pretty obvious that my next move is the oil pan seal.
1620015716651.png

Is this as straightforward as it looks? Drain oil, undo all the bolts, scrape off the old gasket, reseal the pan with FIPG and bolt it up?
Where can I find any additional info in the FSM? I'm striking out in the "EngineHybrid System" but maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks in advance!

I just finished mine a couple of weeks ago. It's fairly straight forward. Be careful when you are trying to pry the pan loose. I used multiple plastic putty knives to break the seal of the FIPG and not scratch anything. I used Permatex Gasket Remover, a Dremel with a nylon brush, and green scrub pad to help with cleaning up the old gasket. Pay attention to the torque specs in the FSM, IIRC they are in inch pounds and not foot pounds.

I also used a thread chaser to clean up the threads before I reassembled everything.

Untitled.png

Thanks both! Good insight. Going to see if I can find those pages in my FSM PDF, thanks @Heckraiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom