Request: MS Coastal Camping and cool roads/places (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HoneyBear

SILVER Star
Threads
Alright, the time has come to go camping again. For reasons unknown to me, one of my friends really wants to go camping on the MS coast and I know nothing about that area. The only primitive camping spots I've come across is at Buccaneer state park. May not be that bad, the water park won't be open. I've read that they offer coast camping spots, but don't see any on the map, I'll have to call this week and see what they've got. Davis Bayou near Ocean Springs looks like a possibility, but I don't think they have primitive camping spots and I'm pretty sure you could walk to the super walmart if needed from there. Doesn't really seem fair.

So, any one know some cool spots? Any cool roads? Things off the beaten path? Let me know! Depending on timing/weather I think ship island would be cool to get to.

Better do it quick! Primitive camping on the coast can't be fun in the heat of the summer!

Definitely check out Ship Island if you've never been. We've been getting some wicked winds out of the southeast, so be prepared for that.

As for coastal camping in MS, best I can offer is my back yard! In all seriousness, there's not too much remote camping down here that's coastal. There's some decent dirt roads in the DeSoto National Forest. Check out the POW camp, there's some out of the way spots on the POW Lake (ok, it's really a pond)
The Ocean Springs area is nice, Davis Bayou would be a decent area to camp. About your only other option is Shepard State Park in Gautier, pretty decent place, mostly known for it's disc golf course (or was).

As for Buccaneer, haven't been there since before Katrina, get's a little dicey towards that end of Hancock County.

And Bodean is right, if it's not early May, forget about it! Have fun, let me know if you need anything.

Definitely check out Ship Island if you've never been. We've been getting some wicked winds out of the southeast, so be prepared for

As for coastal camping in MS, best I can offer is my back yard! In all seriousness, there's not too much remote camping down here that's coastal. There's some decent dirt roads in the DeSoto National Forest. Check out the POW camp, there's some out of the way spots on the POW Lake (ok, it's really a pond)
The Ocean Springs area is nice, Davis Bayou would be a decent area to camp. About your only other option is Shepard State Park in Gautier, pretty decent place, mostly known for it's disc golf course (or was).

As for Buccaneer, haven't been there since before Katrina, get's a little dicey towards that end of Hancock County.

And Bodean is right, if it's not early May, forget about it! Have fun, let me know if you need anything.

The POW camp sounds interesting in a horror movie sort of way. I didn't realize Shepard State park had primitive camping, finally found it mentioned on the site. I may give them a call. Of course MS wouldn't have any camp grounds on the beach or anything like that...

Best beach camping is out at Horn Island. You could beach camp on Deer Island, but you can still hear the Hwy 90 traffic.

Best beach camping is out at Horn Island. You could beach camp on Deer Island, but you can still hear the Hwy 90 traffic.
And take some bas a$$ mosquito spray!

What about places to camp on the coast in January:)? Shouldnt be a mosquito infested s#!+hole this time of year I hope. Would love a place I could car camp on the actual beach. Maybe I’m being too picky for MS Gulf Coast.

There’s no where that I can find in MS where you can actually camp on the beach. Just over in AL there’s a spot you can but they closed the actual beach camping because someone trashed it. They may have reopened it though. I don’t recall the name right off hand.

What about places to camp on the coast in January:)? Shouldnt be a mosquito infested s#!+hole this time of year I hope. Would love a place I could car camp on the actual beach. Maybe I’m being too picky for MS Gulf Coast.

Buccaneer has RV spots across a non busy section of road from the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom