Request electrical problem help, car won't power up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I parked the car after coming home from work last week and the next day it wont start as if the battery was dead. Thought that was the case but had the battery checked and Firestone said the Interstate AGM battery is good and gave me a price t out saying 12.6V.

I got the same using my multimeter across the batt. I wire brushed all the contacts and reconnected. Still not working. I hooked the multimeter to the connections just off the battery and notice it is 9V so I disconnected the connector to the battery connector to clean it up. After disconnecting I checked with a multimeter and find that the areas that previously indicated 9V now indicate 12.6V so it makes me think something coming off that connection is causing the issue.

Could this be a bad fuse or relay? The symptoms are that the car is not getting enough power to do anything. I cant use the remote locks, when the key is in i just get a flicker of a few dash lights but nothing stays on or works. Car does not crank.

Not sure what would have happened after it being parked to have caused this...

Did you try to jump start? Could be the battery even if it shows 12.6V. Those are simple tests before digging more in to the issue

Does your security light go out when you insert the key?

I think something is loose. I literally just had this exact same thing happen. 12/13 at the terminals, but 9V just off. I used a multimeter to find the potential offenders, dissasembled the terminal connector, cleaned and reassembled.

Is the terminal connector the 3"×4.5" plastic box connected just off the positive terminal? I've been attempting to fiddle with it. Could someone tell me how to open the lid without destroying all the plastic tabs? I guess I should just attempt to unplug everything first as that will make it easier to work on...

Security light does not come on to begin with.
Does your security light go out when you insert the key?

Did you try to jump start? Could be the battery even if it shows 12.6V. Those are simple tests before digging more in to the issue
I will try this when I get home. I did attempt to use my portable battery jumper which usually works but in this case didnt. Bc that didnt work I didnt try car to car.

I think something is loose. I literally just had this exact same thing happen. 12/13 at the terminals, but 9V just off. I used a multimeter to find the potential offenders, dissasembled the terminal connector, cleaned and reassembled.
Will try this when I get home. I've been thinking about looking here next as well and will need to figure out how to take it apart...

pictures always help.
This is the part I was talking about, it appears to be fine with everything looking normal. It's like a junction box (akin to a power strip) that has built in fuses that then distribute power to the various parts that plug in.

Any advice on how to proceed from here with troubleshooting will be appreciated. I'll clean/brush the terminals and apply dielectric grease. There is one attachment that has a long wire that goes far across the engine bay that I will need to fully trace and inspect the other end of those connections.

20190620_060949.jpg

20190620_061012.jpg

hmm, what year is this. I don't see anything like that on mine, but maybe just overlooked it. Can you show where it was in the engine bay?

This is the point at which 12V reading changes to 9V?

My 100 is at home but I think it's right behind the positive battery connector (connected to it).

My 100 is at home but I think it's right behind the positive battery connector (connected to it).

That's the one. Follow the positive terminal to the back of the battery. The wire headed to the far side of the engine should be your alternator charge wire.

hmm, what year is this. I don't see anything like that on mine, but maybe just overlooked it. Can you show where it was in the engine bay?

This is the point at which 12V reading changes to 9V?
It's from a 2006 LC. It connects right off the positive battery terminal.

It drops off to 9V just before where it connects when it is connected.

That's the one. Follow the positive terminal to the back of the battery. The wire headed to the far side of the engine should be your alternator charge wire.
I'm gonna see if I can connect it w/o the alternator charge wire and see if that works....

Started reconnecting it and troubleshooting... thus far "isolated" the issue to the unplugged wire bundle. When that is plugged in there is the odd voltage drop. Lucky for me it's the "big bundle"!

20190622_092611.jpg

20190622_092632.jpg

Realized I didnt follow up. Had a mobile mechanic with a specialization in electrical come by to take a look... turned out the aluminum slee battery post clamps had some oxidation preventing a good circuit with the battery. Scrubbed it with a wire brush and it powered up perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom