Replica tool bag, later model style. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a decent quality tool bag for the later model FJ40's. It doesn't have to be OEM perfect. Something I can fill full of commonly needed tools and be put to use. There's a handful of replicas on eBay.

Has anyone ever purchased one these or have any experience? There's quite a few offerings from TORA, the South American company that makes metal body parts.

Screenshot_20210530-214819.png

I bought one off of eBay (my 78 came with one, which I think was original, but it was too far gone). The eBay one works fine and all of the tools that came with a 78 fit in it. They're a little pricey and they're probably not the most durable, but it looks cool ... I'd probably go with something else if I needed a real tool bag (I have larger bag in my tacoma). Those bags above from sportsman's warehouse look really nice.

IMG_1936.jpeg

I bought one off of eBay (my 78 came with one, which I think was original, but it was too far gone). The eBay one works fine and all of the tools that came with a 78 fit in it. They're a little pricey and they're probably not the most durable, but it looks cool ... I'd probably go with something else if I needed a real tool bag (I have larger bag in my tacoma). Those bags above from sportsman's warehouse look really nice.

View attachment 2695936
I'll buy your "too far gone."

I purchased this waxed canvas roll-up tool bag online for $25 and had a local embroidery shop add the TEQ logo, etc.
While not OEM, I think it works well.View attachment 2689839View attachment 2689840
Thanks for sharing. I ordered one of these rolls from Ready Wares yesterday for my ‘82. I agree, while not oem or period correct replica for me, it seems functional and durable. I’m looking forward to stocking it and carrying it. And the embroidery idea is great.
thanks again :)

I drove the Iron Yak to work a while back when there was no chance of rain. Isolated thunderstorm for about 30 minutes soaked everything.
I pulled out my tool bag the other day and it had some mildew on it. I washed it and will Scotch Guard this weekend.
I don’t know why I didnt think of this before. Anyway I recommend coating this bag with scotch guard.

Tool Roll

20210904_164822.jpg

The biggest victory here is the organization, and the sockets. Serious, this is the way to go, and both you, and I, and Toyota, know that most of the fasteners on these trucks pose a great challenge if all you have available is a set of open-end wrenches that were supplied by Toyota. So, I got one of those plastic socket rails from Harbor Freight, cut it to the length of the tool roll, and drilled a hole on one end so that a zip tie can prevent the socket holders from leaving the rail. I have color coded sockets in 1/4, and 3/8-inch, plus an adapter from one to the other. Most often I use the swivel head 1/4 drive with the 3/8-inch adapter. I'm currently carrying some tire plugs and tools for that; the air compressor lives in the big bag.

This one doesn't live under the driver seat, I have the repro bag with metal zipper there. I carry a shortened 3/8" breaker bar, and that is how I address lug nuts, again in the reproduction bag, with a socket for the spark plugs, jack handle end, and hub cap removal tool.

20210904_165010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom