Replacing Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you all recommend for a replacement transmission in a 88 FJ62. The mechanic that is redoing it has suggested a 700R4 but said he favors the Turbo 400 for price and fit reasons. Not interested in rebuild or used A440F. Full disclosure it is getting a new Chevy 350. I do have a budget so be kind with suggestions. I looked for posts on it but I couldn’t find what I was looking for. I’m bad at the interwebs so I am sorry if this has been covered. In advance thank you all very much for your help and patience. I am a relative novice at all this.

Yeah, a turbo 400 behind a 350 Chev is a good choice if you want a slog of a truck that will get 7 MPG. He favors the Turbo 400 because it's the only thing he knows. I really wouldn't waste my time with a 700R4 either. I'd get a 4L60/65E and something like a U.S Shift transmission controller to go with it.

...and "new Chevy 350"? I certainly hope it's a complete setup from an 88 or newer vehicle if you live in California

Yeah, a turbo 400 behind a 350 Chev is a good choice if you want a slog of a truck that will get 7 MPG. He favors the Turbo 400 because it's the only thing he knows. I really wouldn't waste my time with a 700R4 either. I'd get a 4L60/65E and something like a U.S Shift transmission controller to go with it.

...and "new Chevy 350"? I certainly hope it's a complete setup from an 88 or newer vehicle if you live in California
I appreciate the help! His biggest concern was whether or not he would have to make any alterations or cuts to the body of the truck with a transmission other than those two. I will however, go with your recommendation.

who is doing the work?

I appreciate the help! His biggest concern was whether or not he would have to make any alterations or cuts to the body of the truck with a transmission other than those two. I will however, go with your recommendation.

"My vehicle is at a shop that I am willing to spend $30K with but the person who is doing the work doesn't know what he's doing so I'm just going to take the advice of one random person on the internet"
I'm sure this will end well :lol:

No offense, but does the guy even have any experience with LandCruisers? The A440F is a 4-speed medium-duty truck transmission, used in things like those Isuzu NPR box trucks and busses. It's physically a very large transmission - much larger than a 700R4 or Turbo 400. There aren't many light-duty "consumer" transmissions that WON'T fit under a 62 series.

Secondly, there are some major concerns about a guy who wants to install presumably a carb'd 350 with a Turbo 400 for $30k into an FJ62 in California. You'd likely end up with a rig that drives terribly and wouldn't be smog legal. I'd wager you could get about twice the motor and transmission for half the cost. Something like a truck 5.3L engine and transmission would be very cheap to install and offer good power.

At $30k, you'd be getting ripped off with anything less than a brand-new GM 6.2L LS E-ROD emissions-legal motor and with a 4L70E & matching transmission controller. Even factoring in the transfer-case adapter and labor of the install, you should still have enough left over for a full suspension rebuild, lift, and bigger tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom