replacing stock lockig hubs '83 fj-60 (HELP!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am having a tough time removing my stock aisian hubs. the part that i can't get off are the little locking rings that go on before the locking washers and nuts holding the hub body on.

these rings have a slit on one side of them but are HELL to get off. can someone offer some help?

jpcm113@live.com

thanks again, joe

Last edited:
They are cone washers-do a search and you'll see how they come out. Basically you need a brass drift, and a few smacks on the end of the stud and the cone washers pop out of their hole.

Why are you replacing the hubs and what are you replacing them with?

If you don't want the old ones you can send them to me!

A brass drift or punch as stated above. I just did it and they literally pop out after two or three smacks.

I wish I had seen this before I replaced my hubs today. I think I sat for 40 minutes on the cold concrete of the garage tapping the hub case trying to get those things out. I never thought to hit the studs!
But, I did get them off and replaced with some nice WARN premiums.

Gabbo, I'll take your old ones! ...

Big downgrade. Why? Were your old ones broken?

I wish I had seen this before I replaced my hubs today. I think I sat for 40 minutes on the cold concrete of the garage tapping the hub case trying to get those things out. I never thought to hit the studs!
But, I did get them off and replaced with some nice WARN premiums.

Big downgrade. Why? Were your old ones broken?

yea why did you put that junk on there? again were the old ones broken? if not pm me what you want for the old ones...

the stock hubs are very strong.

Yup, the old ones were way broken. I just got my fj60 a few weeks ago and the guy told me the hubs didn't lock and I tried it in four wheel and there was something seriously messed up so I got new ones. And now it's all good.

Yup, the old ones were way broken. I just got my fj60 a few weeks ago and the guy told me the hubs didn't lock and I tried it in four wheel and there was something seriously messed up so I got new ones. And now it's all good.

They were just goobed up inside. Easy to clean and fix. I'll pay shipping for your broken hubs.

No, serious guys one of these old ones is all banged up, I would have to re-drill a couple of the holes for the bolts and cut in new threads. I don't think that they are worth trying to re-use. Unless you want to re-use the insides.

Last edited:
Gabbo, when you get ten posts, you should use this as an Avatar:

Great Movie. Even saw it with the color sequences. :)
275px-Greatgabbb.jpg

i am/was replacing them with a set of Warn 28771 hubs. pick'd them up off of craigs list for $60 new still in the box ($200 new). the stock hubs that are on it still work fine. should i just clean them up and leave the Aisians on it??? let me know what you think...thanks for the reply!!!

Haha, thanks I think I will use that as my avatar. I've been thinking about what I could use and came up with nothing.
The way all you guys love the old hubs so much, I think I'll keep mine as spares.

i am/was replacing them with a set of Warn 28771 hubs. pick'd them up off of craigs list for $60 new still in the box ($200 new). the stock hubs that are on it still work fine. should i just clean them up and leave the Aisians on it??? let me know what you think...thanks for the reply!!!

You will never find a better locking hub than your Aisins. Just look at the steel body, the mounting mechanism, and how well all the parts fit. The Warns are a pot metal casting and not worth your time.

Yeah, best to fix 'em and keep 'em, Gabbo. You can get the individual parts, if something is broken.

And welcome, btw.

Cone Washer Removal

If I think what your talking about is the cone washers that are under the lock washer and nut. If you have dome nuts don't use these but take a equivelent nut and turn it onto the stud. Use a drift pin (a brass rod) Whack the nut with a hammer until the cone back out of the hole abit. Repeat for all. THe housing shoudl now comwe off.

what is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom