Replacing Seat belts - FJ60 - My own experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You will need to remove the dogleg bracket from the old assembly and bolt it to the new assembly. I had to do the same on my 84, I seem to recall having to drill out the bolts/rivets to remove the bracket. If you zoom in really close on this photo, you can see how I have the driver's side mounted.

Also - you will need to source new nuts/bolts yourself to re-attach the bracket.

View attachment 3197974

- are all the NEW white connector housings seat belts related or no ?

You will need to remove the dogleg bracket from the old assembly and bolt it to the new assembly. I had to do the same on my 84, I seem to recall having to drill out the bolts/rivets to remove the bracket. If you zoom in really close on this photo, you can see how I have the driver's side mounted.

Also - you will need to source new nuts/bolts yourself to re-attach the bracket.

View attachment 3197974

But what about this part (circled in red)? Did you just not connect a part like this? The belts I ordered didnt come with this part.

Inkedseatbeltsred.jpg

But what about this part (circled in red)? Did you just not connect a part like this? The belts I ordered didnt come with this part.

View attachment 3198549
Just did mine on my 62 last month, that part is obviously not on the SB planet model. I just connected to the four designated bolt down locations ( BPillar Top, BPillar Bottom, Floor next to door and floor next to console for clicker) and have had zero issues.

As was told to me, nuts they include are barely needed as nuts are welded to frame.

I think that upper tab is just to help keep the orientation of the reel assembly from shifting; the bolt/screw for it was too small to be structural. I just ignored it and went the same route hassassin24 did.

ETA - I did put the screw from that tab back in - if I recall, that is the only mechanical connection to hold the plastic "pocket" in place behind the reel.

Last edited:
I think that upper tab is just to help keep the orientation of the reel assembly from shifting; the bolt/screw for it was too small to be structural. I just ignored it and went the same route hassassin24 did.

ETA - I did put the screw from that tab back in - if I recall, that is the only mechanical connection to hold the plastic "pocket" in place behind the reel.
Sorry, but what does "ETA" mean?

Also, Ill post more pics in a few days when this crazy freeze and wind is gone. I cant be asked to go out and work on the FJ in this weather 😅

Yes, but the only thing it is doing is holding in place the plastic shield/pocket thing behind the reel. Unfortunately, I'm away from my truck and don't have a better photo.

Yes, but the only thing it is doing is holding in place the plastic shield/pocket thing behind the reel. Unfortunately, I'm away from my truck and don't have a better photo.
I gotcha! Dont worry about it. I appreciate the help regardless. I am glad to hear its nothing vital. Ill be posting some more questions/pics in the coming days. Like I mentioned before; I aint working in this weather 🤣

@Broadside From looking at your pics, it appears that the 2 bots holding the dog leg in are traditional bolts. MINE are like torx looking bits. Were yours the same originally?

Those are not the original hardware, just Grade 8 hex head bolts from Home Depot or wherever. The new belts did not come with anything to re-attach the bracket from the original belts.

Those are not the original hardware, just Grade 8 hex head bolts from Home Depot or wherever. The new belts did not come with anything to re-attach the bracket from the original belts.
To be more clear; I meant were your original bolts, that were holding in the dog leg, a torx/star looking fitting? (mine are which is annoying as I was hoping to see if you all maybe knew what size I need to buy)

Sorry - I don't recall the style, but I had to drill them out to remove the bracket. The new hardware may have been 7/16", but I'm not sure (my record keeping for this was poor).

Sorry - I don't recall the style, but I had to drill them out to remove the bracket. The new hardware may have been 7/16", but I'm not sure (my record keeping for this was poor).
Its all good bro. The worst outcome is I just end up acquiring more tools for future use 🤷‍♂️

In the pic I attached: What is the purpose of the circled in red washer?
And then for the one circled in green; is it the bracket that will be connected to the ground next to the console? (that the belt connectors will be anchored down to?)

Inked20221220_141650.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up, thanks for posting! Anyone had any trouble with the pillar trim that covers the belts in their 60? Mine seem a bit brittle!

Great write up, thanks for posting! Anyone had any trouble with the pillar trim that covers the belts in their 60? Mine seem a bit brittle!
Many of our 30+ year rigs have that issue. A durable aftermarket option is available by @TRAIL TAILOR . You can paint it or cover it with a vinyl product of your choosing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom