Replacing Radiator and Alternator, anything else I should do "while I'm in there"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my alternator failed on my '00 LX with 169K, ordered a reman OEM, then when I got under the car to start spraying PB Blaster, I see a tiny leak in the (original) radiator. The plastic is started to look pretty crackley up top too, so I bought a Spectra CU 2282 to replace that, especially since taking the radiator out should also make it easier to get to the alternator. While I'm waiting for all these parts to arrive, I'm wondering, anything else that I should do while I'm in there? Is it a good idea to replace the thermostat? Fan clutch? The serpentine belt looks good. Timing belt is also good for now.

Tstat should’ve been replaced when t-belt was changed. Fan clutch would be good to do if it’s never been changed, but also pretty easy to do that later when it fails. Good time to do steering rack bushings, front diff bushings, and oil cooler hoses and gasket while the radiator is out tho. Also good time to do full fluid exchange in both transmission and power steering since all of those hoses will be easier to access with radiator out.

Give all of your idler pulleys and accessories a spin and listen for old bearings to make some noise. Otherwise its all good. As @JunkCrzr89 mentioned, the fan clutch IS easier with the rad out but can be done later too.

My recommendation is cooling hoses and clamps. Wits End sells a kit if you want them all and people seem to burst them or have them pop off and it looks like a mess when it happens.

Give all of your idler pulleys and accessories a spin and listen for old bearings to make some noise.
Forgot about the pulleys. Def check and replace as needed!

Tstat should’ve been replaced when t-belt was changed. Fan clutch would be good to do if it’s never been changed, but also pretty easy to do that later when it fails. Good time to do steering rack bushings, front diff bushings, and oil cooler hoses and gasket while the radiator is out tho. Also good time to do full fluid exchange in both transmission and power steering since all of those hoses will be easier to access with radiator out.
I’m not familiar the oil cooler hoses and gasket. Care to give a little more info on where these are and what they connect?

I’m not familiar the oil cooler hoses and gasket. Care to give a little more info on where these are and what they connect?
The oil cooler is what your oil filter screws into. It has a couple of hoses connected to it that carry coolant to keep the oil from getting too hot. Those hoses are just like any other coolant hose that breaks down over time and starts leaking or busts.

This is MUD, right?

You'll want to .... awww, forget it.

The oil cooler is what your oil filter screws into. It has a couple of hoses connected to it that carry coolant to keep the oil from getting too hot. Those hoses are just like any other coolant hose that breaks down over time and starts leaking or busts.
Are they replaceable with generic hose or do they have specific bends and such in them?

Are they replaceable with generic hose or do they have specific bends and such in them?
I’m sure you could use generic hoses, but I used Toyota hoses. They do have specific bends. The Toyota replacements are only $22 total for all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom